Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Itchy nexplanon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Itchy nexplanon
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oopsydaisyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bug bit me near the site where the nexplanon is inserted and its been so so itchy. I guess when I'm half awake I don't think about it and scratch the area profusely and end up kinda twisting the skin and the nexplanon slightly. Did I mess it up [Frown]
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi daisy,

I can't quite imagine what you're describing when you say the skin and the nexplanon were 'slightly' twisted.

Do mean that it has moved or that it has changed shape?

If it's the latter I might I think it would good reason to have a doctor check it. It is made of a flexible plastic so shouldn't break. But if it doesn't look as it should, certainly get it checked.

[ 06-30-2013, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oopsydaisyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither. Just that while scratching, the area was slightly twisted. it hasn't moved or changed shape at all
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I guess we can assume that it'll work as expected and that you didn't mess it up at all.

Implants are pretty tough and will just carry on working even if disturbed this way.

[ 06-30-2013, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

It was more like the motion when we twist a bottle cap off of a bottle of water! I kinda did that, slightly twisting the skin around the nexplanon so thus twisting the nexplanon slightly, one end went up while the other went down clockwise. A slight turning motion. It didn't hurt or anything and nothing looks different. Its in the same place and stuff
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

As I said, that sounds like it won't effect the efficacy of the implant. So it all sounds good from here.
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Does neosporin interact with the nexplanon?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are always the kinds of questions to refer to your patient information leaflet for, or ask your provider about, for future reference.

But now: your implant is subcutaneous, under the fat of your skin. Topical medications like this won't -- and can't -- have any impact on it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

I didnt get a leaflet on it, just this reminder card about when I should get a new one. I'll ask them in the future.

Thank you!

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, maybe you can give the clinic or office where you got the implant inserted a call and ask them if they can send you the patient information materials they have for the implant so you have them to refer to?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also always access the patient information for any device or medication online via a simple Google search for it by name.

Here that is for you: http://www.nexplanon-usa.com/en/consumer/main/patient-information.asp

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Thank you!

If one has taken plan b numerous times in the past, could it possibly have an impact on the nexplanon?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. No connection like that has been found to exist.

Were you able to track down the patient information? it sounds like you have a lot of questions that that information would probably help you with.

[ 07-06-2013, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Yup I looked over the link!

It says some people stop having periods. Is it normal to stop having periods a couple of months after first getting the nexplanon inserted? or is there a time frame when it should stop, like after the first year or second year.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There is no time frame. Everyone's body reacts differently.

--------------------
Robin

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Thank you!

I was wondering if a decreased sensation during sex is normal. The last time I had sex, it didnt feel as good. I mean I wasn't dry and it wasn't painful or anything, it just didnt feel as good as it usually did. Idk if that's normal and occurs from time to time. It was the first time it happened to me

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many factors that can impact how enjoyable sex is at any one point, so it's certainly possible (and pretty likely, at one point or another) to have some instances where sex just doesn't feel as good or intense as it might other times.
I wouldn't assume it's related to your implant, though. It could be related to stress, hunger, tiredness, distraction, being less aroused than usual... all sorts of things.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

The pamphlet that came with the pregnancy test said to keep t flat for two minutes. During that two minutes I nudged it and it may have tilted slightly for a second or two. Should I redo it? There may have been more urine than needed I think, I mean I only held it for five seconds under the stream but there was a splash and the one line that's supposed to show up in the control window did. I'm just not sure if I did everything right
Heather
Member # 3

How to use, or not use, a given pregnancy test properly is something you will need to consult the directions of the test for, and, when unclear, call the hotline of a given test for. Nearly all of them will usually have a toll-free number to call for assistance.

There are simply too many brands of tests with their own specifics for us to be able to answer a question like this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

I already threw away the instructions and the box it came with. I'm trying to look the number up online but can't find it. It's the cvs early result
Heather
Member # 3

The only thing we could do only having that information is use Google to see if CVS has a page or patient information for a test.

Which, of course, you can do yourself.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Can I just retake the test, i feel like that would be more effective than calling them and still wondering. How soon after the first test can I retake it?
Heather
Member # 3

Of course you can. And you can retake it whenever you'd like. No one has to wait from taking one pregnancy test to taking another: if a person is pregnant, their result isn't going to change, after all.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Oh ok, that makes sense! I was just worried about my drinking some water that may change the amount of urine or something. Like if it wouldn't be enough for the test
Heather
Member # 3

Here's a good page we have on general information about pregnancy tests and how they work if you'd like: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Mind, I'm not sure I understand why you're taking one at all, given you're using a method of birth control that's one of the most effective and isn't something you can make any errors with, but all the same, there's that information if you want it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Thank you so much for that last comment, it's helping me keep things in perspective! It was the first month I had only a teeny tiny bit of spotting and not a period and I guess I kinda freaked out! But I know that women sometimes don't get their periods after a whole on this method
Heather
Member # 3

Ideally, before giving you this method, your provider gave you patient information on it and also explained that spotting is the most common side effect with the implant, and that missing periods, or having them cease altogether, is also fairly common for users of the implant.

If you're feeling freaked about that, perhaps you'd feel better backing up with condoms? That way, you also get the extra bonus of protection from sexually transmitted and other infections that your implant can't offer you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

my doctor told me that to cause harm to the nexplanon would need severe trauma to the area. I wasn't told to avoid any activities or basically do anything different but earlier I was holding something pretty heavy that was pressing against that area, when it started to feel a little uncomfortable, like pressure, not pain, around 10-25 seconds and I realized where the object was kinda pressing on, I pulled away. The nexplanon is intact and nothing different about its appearance. I'm not sure if I should get it checked out or not because it seems ok visually and when I palate it like how I was taught, pushing on one end to see the other rise, there's no difference!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If you weren't told to avoid lifting heavy objects, then it's highly unlikely that that would cause any problems.

Various versions of the contraceptive implant have been around for a couple of decades at this point so if there were any daily activities that people with the implant should avoid, it's highly likely we'd know about them.

What do you think has you feeling so anxious about caring for your implant properly?

[ 07-20-2013, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

Well it was kinda the fact that the object was pressing against the nexplanon for a bit that has me worried when I started to feel that uncomfortable pressure against that area where the nexplanon is.

I think the fact that I feel like anything goes pretty much with it, like I don't have much instructions regarding it so I don't know how to care for it

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, again, unless you were specifically told to watch out for things pressing against that area, it's unlikely that would do any harm.

Were you able to access the patient information for Nexplanon users that heather referred you to? I'm wondering if having that specific guidance would help you feel more secure here.
It does sound like it's tough for you to have a method that requires no intervention from you. The contraceptive implant really is something that, once inserted, doesn't need anything in terms of maintenance or care, excepting, of course, being sure to replace it when it's time if that's still the contraceptive method you want to use.

In order to feel more in control of your contraceptive choices, what do you think about using condoms as Heather suggested above?

--------------------
Robin

oopsydaisyy
Neophyte
Member # 107835

They just said avoid severe trauma to that area and I wasnt sure if the situation I described above falls under that [Frown] I mean, Im not even sure if resting my head on that area is ok!

I was! It doesnt really say anything about "protecting" the area. Im super small so the nexplanon is actually pretty visible in my arm so Im pretty aware of it.

I do use condoms but for me, my mindset is, I like having a backup and if Im unsure of my backup, the nexplanon, especially one that costs so much its kinda moot, so Im trying to learn how to best care for it but it seems like there really isnt anything for me to do, in terms of day to day life!

Heather
Member # 3

It sounds, pretty continually here, like you have so many issues and concerns about this that the best thing you could do for yourself is to call into the healthcare provider's office where you have this inserted, and ask for an educational visit, where you can ask all these questions and more, and have your provider talk you through these concerns.

Ideally, you would have had a talk like that before deciding to have it inserted, and then only give the go-head when you felt good about this as a method.

But if that didn't happen, I'd ask to schedule this time.

If that did happen, but you just can't pout your mind to rest about this, then I'd say you have some decisions to make. Like maybe figuring out if this IS the right method for you, or reevaluating if ANY method or combination of methods is going to satisfy you. If you feel like the answer is no, this may have less to do with any given method of contraception, and more to do with just not feeling right engaging in any kind of sex right now with any risk of pregnancy.

But I do think we need to put a limit on being the people to continue answer these questions for you, as a) we don't have the kind of pay/funding your healthcare provider does, who can do this job, too, and b) we really can't comfort someone into a method they're just not comfortable with. It's really not our job to do that, that's more on the user (you), in only picking a method from the start you feel good about, and have all the information about before using it, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.