Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Depo Provera Shot & Unprotected Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo Provera Shot & Unprotected Sex
mycatisfat333
Neophyte
Member # 107856

Icon 4 posted      Profile for mycatisfat333         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first depo provera shot about 13ish days ago and my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex in a spa in the weekend twice. Is there any chance I could be pregnant? My doctor said that the injection was safe enough to use by itself but I don't know [Frown] and he said it takes 3 weeks for the injection to start working? Does it?! I googled it and on local family planning websites it says that the injection starts working in 7 days. But another one said it starts working in 5 days if you have your period? And another said it works immediately? One said it takes a month to work? Please tell me the correct answer! Is there any chance I could be pregnant? Please! I'm really freaking out [Frown] I can't get pregnant; I'm too young! [Frown] Also; does anybody have any experiences with the depo shot that they'd like to share? Ah omg thank you in advance! I'm totally freaking out now. I've already had one pregnancy scare before and it was awful [Frown] so when does the shot start working? Is there any chance I could be pregnant? Also; if its of any relevance my period was due in a few days; on the day I got the shot. So I haven't had my period and the shot has completely stopped my periods.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi mycatisfat333 and welcome to Scarleteen,

Can I check in with you about what makes you doubt your doctor and not follow their instructions? It sounds like you got information from your doctor, but went to the internet to find other information anyway, so I wondered if you had a reason that you didn't feel like you could trust your doctor or follow their advice.

Here is our article on Depo provera which should contain the answers to your questions.

Depo-Provera (The Shot)

Also, depo provera doesn't protect against STI transmission. Are both you and your boyfriend up-to-date on your STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycatisfat333
Neophyte
Member # 107856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mycatisfat333         Edit/Delete Post 
I do trust my doctor but all the websites for the local family planning places around me say different times. So I'm really unsure and very worried now cos I really hope I'm not pregnant :/ so in your opinion what do you think? When does the shot start working? And I did read that article; yea but it didn't say anything about the time it'd take to work. So do you think I could be pregnant or not? Please help :/
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't possibly tell you if you're pregnant. [Smile] I'm just not that powerful to see into your body and see what's going on.

The article I linked you to does say when the shot is effective. Take another look in the first couple of paragraphs. [Smile] The shot is effective within 24 hours so long as it was given at the correct time in your cycle.
Did your healthcare provider talk with you about when in your cycle it was best for you to start getting the shot?

I understand that it's confusing getting different answers. Again, though, while I can tell you about the effectiveness of depo provera, I can't actually tell you if you got pregnant. only a pregnancy test can do that.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycatisfat333
Neophyte
Member # 107856

Icon 4 posted      Profile for mycatisfat333         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile] but I just am a bit confused. How long does it take for the shot to work? Seven days? A month? How long? I'm talking about the first shot by the way. I'm very worried I could be pregnant [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Depo Provera works within 24 hours so long as it's administered at the right time in your cycle.

So, when in your cycle did you get the shot?

I also want to check in with you about whether you're up-to-date on your STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing, since Depo Provera doesn't protect against STI transmission.

--------------------
Robin

mycatisfat333
Neophyte
Member # 107856

I got the shot about a week or two before my period was due [Smile] my periods are normally a week or so late. It varies depending on how stressed I am and stuff. I suffer from depression so it kinda makes my cycle a bit mucked up. And no I haven't been tested for STI's. my partner and I are each others only sexual partners [Smile] we're only in our teens by the way [Razz] also how long does the shot take to work if you get it NOT on your period like I did? Like I'm just worried cos we had sex 11 and 12 days after I got the jab and we didn't use a condom. So how long does it take to work if you get it not on your period like I did?
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like your questions might have been answered already in the link that Robin provided to you about the shot; were you able to find the corresponding section in the article, and if so, were you able to understand what it says?

Also, are you able to get in contact with your doctor or the healthcare provider who administered the shot to you? It's always a good idea to check in with them with questions like yours, since they've probably heard many just like them from other patients, and would be better informed to advise you of your situations.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycatisfat333
Neophyte
Member # 107856

No I haven't been in contact with my doctor as I've no way of doing that without my mum finding out. And I did read the article yes but I'm dyslexic so I don't quite get it. If I get the injection not on my period, will it take 7 days to work? And so if I had sex 11 days after the injection and I didn't use a condom; I'd be safe right? Sorry for all the hassle and confusion! You guys are really helpful! Love this site! [Big Grin]
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depo-provera is effective after the first 24 hours of injection, when given within the first few days of a period (the first time it is injected: after a first shot, so long as you get your shots on time, it doesn't matter). If your doctor gave it to you after that, or at a different time, they should have told you what that meant in terms of effectiveness.

If they didn't, you'll need to call into their office and ask them about that. If you've been able to figure out how to have time alone to have sex, I'm betting you can figure it out to make that call, okay? [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycatisfat333
Neophyte
Member # 107856

Hey Heather [Smile]

Okay, thank you so much! You summed up EXACTLY what I wanted to know, so simply! I'm dyslexic so sometimes I have trouble understanding what stuff means! But, thank you so much! [Big Grin] I'm 100% sure that there is NO risk of me being pregnant now! Well, minus the 0.1$% risk! Thank you loads [Big Grin]

mycatisfat333
Neophyte
Member # 107856

Oops, I just posted my message twice by mistake! Would you please be able to delete the first one as it has spelling mistakes in it and I fixed those in the 2nd one? [Smile]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

not a problem. Just took care of that for you. [Smile]

i'm glad to hear you're feeling relieved. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.