Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Genitals rubbing against each other, pregnancy risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genitals rubbing against each other, pregnancy risk?
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feathersx3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there. From another thread called "fingering and pregnancy" one of the volunteers said:

"For pregnancy to happen, there has to be either direct contact between genitals or between fresh ejaculate and a bare vulva, so this could include things like rubbing bare genitals together even if there's no entry, anal sex without a condom, or someone ejaculating directly on a partner's vulva."

My friend asked me to post on here her questions and concerns. My friend, lets call her Jennifer. Jennifer and her partner were messing around, and gave her partner a handjob. Her partner ejaculated. After ejaculating, he wiped himself off with a napkin. Then they went to bed. In the morning they messed around a little bit. Both of their bare gentials were rubbing against each other but there was no entry. If anything the outermost tip of the penis might touched the bare vagina a little but there was no entry, just the sides of the penis rubbing against her vagina. She is afraid of becoming pregnant. He did not pee out the semen during the night but he did wipe his penis off with a napkin after he ejaculated before they went to bed.

So when the volunteer said direct contact, that means penis is inside of the vagina correct? and when she said "so this could include things like rubbing bare genitals together", that is referring to FRESH ejaculate rubbing against the vagina right? I just wanted to clarify on that statement. Thank you!

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Direct genital-to-genital contact means EITHER intercourse or rubbing genitals directly together. With STIs, there really is little to no difference, and with pregnancy, for people without any fertility problems it's basically the same level of risk as well.

So, if people don't want to take substantial STI and pregnancy risks, then they need to wrap it up with any kind of direct genital-to-genital contact, adding another method of contraception besides condoms as well if they don't feel comfy with condoms alone per pregnancy prevention.

[ 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feathersx3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I fully understand your reply. So rubbing genitals directly together whether there was fresh semen, dried semen or no semen is still a pregnancy risk? I'm not sure what the level of risk is either.

I do understand the last segment about using contraceptives though.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

So I just read the article Who's afraid of sperm cells and it made me understand sperm cells more now. So I guess it is kinda unlikely for the sperm cell to still be alive the whole night. And also because her partner slept with a blanket and it was a super hot night, I don't think the sperm cells could've survived the heat. So even if there was direct contact with no entry, it is unlikely that she is pregnant because the sperm cells couldn't have been alive that morning.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather meant that bare genitals rubbing against each other counts as "direct genital contact" and thus poses a pregnancy risk, as well as a risk of STIs.

Does that help clarify?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

That does, thank you. I now understand but the level of risk I am unsure about. I think there is a low risk after reading the article about sperm cells that you guys provide on this website.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also? A hot night and sleeping under blankets doesn't kill sperm: it's not like people in hot climates year-round don't reproduce at the same rates as everyone else, after all.

Again, if your friend doesn't want to take big risks of pregnancy and STIs? That rubbing genitals directly together isn't the way to go, because it does pose risks of both. There's really no need to go to thoughts about temperatures and penis-wiping: those things aren't methods of contraception.

What is, however, is withdrawal, so when this kind of direct contact, or intercourse is happening, but the person with the penis did not ejaculate, then the effectiveness for that method is what's at play. And in perfect use -- which, if he didn't ejaculate at all, is what this would count as -- it's usually estimated to be around 96% effective in one year, or, pose a 4% risk of pregnancy in one year of use.

So, those are all things to share with your friend so she can make her choices accordingly.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

You, or your friend, can also take a look at this, for future reference, which has a section on frottage, AKA, direct genital-to-genital rubbing, both dry -- when people are clothed -- and in general, when people are not clothed: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

She can see there this is something we consider a moderate, not low, risk.

[ 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

If I am understanding correctly, the risk of becoming pregnant is moderate according to the article because they were performing frottage/tribbing.

They always use protection, wiping his semen off wasn't their form of contraceptive but just to clean up after ejaculating. He wiped it thoroughly before they went to bed. It was in the morning that their genitals were rubbing against each other, but no entry.
They have never used the pull out method because they have never had unprotected sex.

feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

There have been times before (like earlier months) where this happened, the genitals rubbing, but she never did become pregnant and did receive her monthly periods. I don't know why she is more concerned this month than the other months. But it's nice to ask others for help since she is stressing out about it. The first time there was any form of genitals rubbing, she took plan b.

Well thank you so much for the advice and articles. I will send this link to my friend so she can read it on her own.

I guess in conclusion, the risks are moderate and just continue to use protection in every case. Thank you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.