Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » WORRIED

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WORRIED
Claire123
Neophyte
Member # 107869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I slept with someone on holiday and now my period is about a week late. I'm starting to worry now that i may be pregnant but i just don't think its possible.Firstly we were only having sex for a very short time as he had to leave (he didn't come) and we used a condom which didnt break. I also got the morning after pill the following day about 12-13 hours after the incident. now my period is late im worried but what are the chances i could be pregnant when he didnt come and we took all the possible precautions? my period was never completely on time anyway but never this late. im starting to wonder could the possible change of environment (foreign country) or the fact that i had been exercising alot prior to the holiday could have effected my period. could the high hormone dosage in the morning after pill have anything to do with it? i also got the morning after pill about 4 weeks too ago but i had had a period since then so i didnt get it twice in the same cycle. am i just being paranoid and is there another reason for my period being late?? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claire123 and welcome to Scarleteen,

One of the side effects some people do experience with emergency contraception is a change to their menstrual cycles, which can include spotting between period, periods that are earlier or later than usual, or periods that are skipped altogether. These side effects usually last a few months.

No one can tell you if you're pregnant or not. only a pregnancy test can do that. however, since you used two forms of birth control (condom and emergency contraception) the chances of pregnancy are low. Again, though, no person can evaluate whether you got pregnant by hearing what happened or what birth control you used. So, if you are concerned, taking a test is an option.

And yes, the other reasons you mentioned, such as travel, can also impact one's menstrual cycle.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire123
Neophyte
Member # 107869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have experienced some spotting since. i also considered taking a test but am too scared to know the answer..
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for what it's worth, what you've described to me really doesn't sound like there's much of a chance you could be pregnant at all....

And, as I said, emergency contraception really can have a significant impact on menstrual cycles.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.