Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Fingering and pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fingering and pregnancy?
Concerned1496
Neophyte
Member # 107792

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Concerned1496     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.
I am concerned that I may be pregnant. Tonight, my boyfriend and I were fooling around and when I was giving him a handjob, I felt some pre-ejaculatory fluid from his penis and got some on my hands. About 5 minutes later I walked him out and said goodnight. About 15/20 minutes later my hand was completely dry but I don't remember wiping it off on anything. I had forgotten about the pre ejaculatory fluid since my hand was dry and fingered myself. Right away I realized this was a bad idea and got a cotton swab and wiped my vagina(although I highly doubt this did anything). Could sperm still be alive on my hand even though it was dry? Is there any possibility I could get/be pregnant? I am just freaking out because I am have read many different theories on the Internet. I threw up because I was so nervous. I read your article about manual sex and that helped, but I am still concerned that sperm may have been alive. Is there any chance? Please help and I'm sorry if this post seems silly but I am genuinely worried. Thank you so much.

Also just so I know, when is it possible to get pregnant from fingering?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Concerned, and welcome to Scarleteen.

We have a great pregnancy risk assessment tool here: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?
If you look up the entry on manual sex in this article, it will answer your question. =)

Also, this article may be helpful to show you just how fragile sperm cells are outside the body: Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

[ 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Concerned1496
Neophyte
Member # 107792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Concerned1496     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much I feel so much more relieved now knowing that I am not pregnant.

Also just wanted to make sure I understood this correctly from the article. Sperm cannot survive outside the body if not in the proper conditions, so if you or your parter had some on his/her finger and wiped it off, it does not have the capacity to live and therefore you could not get pregnant if he fingered you.

Also just so I don't freak out more, since I had a lot of stress and lost sleep from this, do you think it will affect when I get my period? I am supposed to get it in a week.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are understanding it correctly! =) I'm glad that helps you relax a bit. Do you have a good sense of what does constitute a pregnancy risk, after reading that article?

A lot of things, stress included, can impact when your period comes; if it's a little later than expected this month that could be the reason. We have an article about that as well that might be helpful to take a look at: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Concerned1496
Neophyte
Member # 107792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Concerned1496     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do have a clearer understanding. But I still get confused when I hear about people who had never had sex but got pregnant because of the exchanging of fluid. So how does this work? How well can sperm survive in fluid, whether it be pre-ejaculatory fluid or vaginal fluid? I just want to make sure I know and understand all the facts because I still want to be somewhat sexually active (handjobs and fingering) but don't want to have another nervous breakdown scare freak out.

And thank you for that article about periods and stress it helped.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

For pregnancy to happen, there has to be either direct contact between genitals or between fresh ejaculate and a bare vulva, so this could include things like rubbing bare genitals together even if there's no entry, anal sex without a condom, or someone ejaculating directly on a partner's vulva.

Here at Scarleteen we would call all of those activities sex but some people only mean intercourse when they say "sex;" so if someone didn't classify those other activities as "sex" they could still get pregnant.

Also, keep in mind that there are a LOT of stories online about people getting pregnant in extremely unlikely ways, and many of them are posted on sites where there's no oversight and no guarantee that stories posted are accurate. We generally recommend that anyone who has a lot of worry or anxiety around pregnancy not read those sites!

Concerned1496
Neophyte
Member # 107792

Wow that answer was awesome. I think I finally get it now! Would you still suggest after touching fluid to wash hands or is it really not necessary?

And great advice about not reading all the unlikely stories. They were what really got me worried before.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Handwashing after touching fluids is a good idea, but that's because of concerns about infection, not because things like handjobs and fingering pose a risk of pregnancy.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

It's definitely a good idea for you or your partner to wash your hands before any hand-to-genital contact, no matter what you've touched before, from an infection transmission standpoint. And for sure, I think it's a good idea to wash afterwards too. But this is more because of cleanliness and disease transmission issues than pregnancy ones.

I'm glad that explanation made sense! Hopefully you can move forward feeling a lot more relaxed. =)

Concerned1496
Neophyte
Member # 107792

Awesome got it. Thank you so much!!
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feathersx3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there. I was reading the replies and one of the volunteers said that one example of direct contact is bare genitals rubbing together even if there is no entry.
My friend asked me to post on here her questions and concerns. Her partner ejaculated before they went to bed. He wiped himself off with a napkin. In the morning they messed around a little bit. Both of their bare gentials were rubbing against each other but there was no entry. She is afraid of becoming pregnant. Are her risks high? Thank you!

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi feathersx3,

We ask that people post their questions in their own thread, rather than writing them as replies to someone else's thread. You can start a new thread by clicking on the "post new topic" link at the top of any forum page.

Thanks.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feathersx3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I respectfully apologize for that. I only replied in this post because part of my question related one of the volunteer's answers. Thank you, I will go post another thread.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.