Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » WORRIED. Continuous bleeding for a week?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WORRIED. Continuous bleeding for a week?!
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Melli*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took Plan B in March (had two periods that month). Had side effects of that in April, along with my expected period on the 13th.

May passed and I had no menstrual. Now, on the 28th of June I began what I thought was my period - and I continue to bleed. It's become very annoying, and frightening as my period only last around 4 days. What's going on? Should I be worried? ~

It was my first time with any type of birth control pill. My body has never been introduced to synthetic hormones and I don't know how to control this.. I want the bleeding to stop.

Posts: 30 | From: Halifax | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melli,

It's possible that your menstrual cycle is still thrown off because of the emergency contraception. The effects of that can take a few months to leave one's body.

There's nothing we can suggest to stop the bleeding.

If it alarms you, and particularly if you start to feel unwell from it (feeling fatigued, for example), your soundest option is to see a healthcare provider. if you opt to do that, do you have a healthcare provider you can see?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melli*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a family doctor, but I don't think she'd be able to do anything.

I don't want to go on birth control because that won't solve the issue..

Posts: 30 | From: Halifax | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not knowing what the issue is -- without a healthcare provider who can look into it and figure it out, or at least have somewhere to start -- I don't know why you'd assume you'd be put on birth control, nor do I understand why you think your doctor isn't the right person to get started here.

Has that doctor said in some way they do not do any reproductive healthcare?

So far, if all that seems to be going on is period-level flow for one week, I personally don't see a cause for concern. But if you do, or this goes on for another week (or more), than again, a healthcare provider is really the only next right step.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melli*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Heather.

My friend and I had a conversation about this. She thinks I could be pregnant, and I just shrugged it off. Her, being her odd self, listed pregnancy (implantation) symptoms..

- Mild cramps in the uterus, which I had on the 22nd of May. This happened 4 weeks+ after intercourse on April 19th.
- Pink/Brown spotting that turned light Red/Pink (I still wouldn't say it's a flow, as it comes and goes).

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always a good idea to take a pregnancy test after using emergency contraception, because just like other methods of birth control, it isn't 100% effective. But you've had a couple of periods since taking EC, which is a good indication that you aren't pregnant. Your friend's information isn't sound: implantation bleeding is not common, and what is most common with pregnancy is a total lack of bleeding. Cramps can happen for all sorts of reasons.

As Heather said, a healthcare provider is the best person to talk to about this if the bleeding continues.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

I didn't have my period for May, and most of June. Now all of a sudden, I've been bleeding for a week straight and it isn't a heavy/medium flow.

I really have no idea though. I don't know what seeing a Heath provider will do; they'll suggest birth control to set my cycle and I refuse to do that.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you're assuming that the only thing a healthcare provider will do is suggest birth control? Honestly, it sounds to me like your cycle is still a bit out of whack from the EC, and it's likely that all they'll suggest is waiting it out, but if they suspect something else they'll run tests to figure out what's going on, not just prescribe a medication with no idea of what the underlying cause is.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.