Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Am I pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I pregnant?
sophie lee
Neophyte
Member # 107677

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sophie lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my boyfriend & I had sex on Sunday, with a condom, but we ended up taking that off after a while. Most of the precum was in there, positive(and he did use the restroom an hour before). Then we continued on without it, and we made sure he pulled out. I know that doing that was not safe sex, and this was the first time we did something like that.

I'm just scared because I'm not on birth control yet, and I want to get plan B, but I feel like that would mess my hormones up.

I don't want to wait until next month to know though, because my period started on 6/2 and the one before that was 5/2.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sophie lee
Neophyte
Member # 107677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sophie lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I showered after, just to be sure! Hope I didn't push the sperm, if any, more up.

--------------------
Sophie

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sperm cells can't get "pushed up" by water or anything else. But you also need to know that showering isn't a method of contraception: it doesn't reduce pregnancy risks, namely because sperm cells move very fast, so pretty much at the moment someone has genital contact with semen, sperm cells in the semen are already inside the body.

Proper condom use means having the condom on for ALL direct genital contact, not just some. So yep, this means as far as STIs go, the condom didn't really offer you protection, and same goes with pregnancy.

Am I understanding though, that you DID use withdrawal properly, and he withdrew well before (or without) ejaculation? If so, withdrawal is estimated to be around 96% effective in one year of perfect use, and 73-85% effective in one year of typical use.

If that's leaving you comfortable per your pregnancy risk at this point, okay. If not, then you do have emergency contraception as an option to reduce the risk further. I don't know what you mean by "messing your hormones up," but Plan B does have potential side effects, like any medication. However, on the whole, it's a gentle medication, highly effective at reducing the risk of pregnancy (which most certainly DOES create major hormonal changes).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68085 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sophie lee
Neophyte
Member # 107677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sophie lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was thinking the whole pushing up thing was kinda ridiculous!

I am definitely a lot more comfortable now, but the numbers are still definitely scary!

I don't think I'll be using plan B, because he did withdraw before ejaculating, and the fact that there are major hormonal changes that come with it.

Thanks so much Heather!
This site is definitely very imformative & useful!

--------------------
Sophie

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you know, this idea that Plan B causes "major hormonal changes" just isn't accurate. It really doesn't.

That isn't to say it's not okay for you to choose not to use it, of course it is. It's just that if that's a basis for that choice, it's not a sound basis that's about fact, not fiction.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68085 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.