Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » (Slightly complicated) missed pill question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: (Slightly complicated) missed pill question
Lill15
Neophyte
Member # 43100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lill15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there, quick missed pill question which is a little complicated, hence why I'm asking. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I'm on Microgynon 30 (a combined pill), and have been for a few months. I get quite anxious about taking my pill, which I do in the evenings before bed. I then mark the pill as taken on an app on my phone. Now, that app is also on my ipad, and it doesn't always automatically update (so sometimes it'll say that I've missed some pills when I haven't done so). Yesterday evening (Tuesday) I happened I check that app on the ipad, and it was saying that the pills on the Monday and Sunday immediately before had been missed. I remembered taking the Monday one, but cannot remember taking Sunday's.

Now, the app on my phone (the one that I actually use to mark pills as taken) has it marked as taken, and the pill for that Sunday isn't in my pill packet. Before I happened to notice the app on my ipad, I hadn't worried at all that I'd missed one on Sunday evening. But I've woken up this morning (Wednesday) really panicking because I just now can't remember taking that pill on Sunday evening, even though the evidence suggests that I did (and I do have anxiety issues)

The thing is: what should I do? The pill in question was the 14th in the pack, and today is day 17. I don't want to have to worry for the rest of this week and my break week that protection is compromised (I had sexual activity last Thursday, but there was no genital-to-genital contact involved, so I'm not really worried about). I'd also rather not miss my break week. Would it be okay to take an additional pill this evening, to try and make up the one that I may have missed three days ago? My thinking is that then I would have definitely taken 21 pills and thus could have my break week as normal without protection being compromised? Is that correct?

I like to err on the side of caution, as you can probably guess!

Apologies for the long post (and I hope it makes sense) but any advice would be great.

Thank you.

Posts: 37 | From: Britain | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Lill15,

It doesn't sound like you need to do anything about this.

All of the evidence points towards you having taken that pill, and you already know that sometimes the app doesn't update on your Ipad. So, this is a non-issue. [Smile]

Perhaps this isn't the most effective way for you of keeping track of your pills, since the technology fail has you worried?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Robin got it)

[ 06-05-2013, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lill15
Neophyte
Member # 43100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lill15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the quick reply! Yes, you may well be right about the technology.

I guess I'm concerned that I will worry about this now even despite this- which I appreciate is perhaps more of an anxiety issue than a pill one- and whether taking an additional pill would be a way of absolutely ensuring the protection was maintained so I don't have to worry about it (ie that I could have my break week and know that I'm protected still as I would definitely have taken 21 pills)?

Thank you both again.

Posts: 37 | From: Britain | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're on target here that this is more about anxiety than about whether or not you took your pill. Again, the evidence points to the fact that you did.

So, I would suggest doing whatever it is you usually do to help you manage anxious or worried feelings.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lill15
Neophyte
Member # 43100

Okay, thank you- will try not to worry too much.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome.

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.