Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Question :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question :(
Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elessar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to know if I am wet from precum on my underwear, and I accidentally touched it and immediately fingered my gf. Is there a pregnancy risk here?

--------------------
Elessar

Posts: 41 | From: Malaysia | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elessar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could see that my underwear was wet at that time [Frown]

--------------------
Elessar

Posts: 41 | From: Malaysia | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, Elessar, and welcome to the boards.

Were you able to first look at something on the site like this -- Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That? -- to help you assess this yourself?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Read that. So I guess the answer to that is no risk? Just wondering cause I can see that my underwear was wet, as if it gone through...only precum though. so does that matter?

--------------------
Elessar

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

like i could still see it wet but not enough to flow? [Frown]

--------------------
Elessar

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally, you really do want to wash your hands before touching someone else's genitals after you've touched your own, but that's really about germs (infections) rather than pregnancy.

Like that page filled you in about, this kind of scenario really isn't one that presents risks of pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Okay. Thank you! I will surely wash it next time!
I was freaking out.

--------------------
Elessar

Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome.

You can take a few minutes and look more through that list to save you some of this in the future, too. In other words, you can look through it now, think about what kinds of risks you do and don't want to take, and when you do and don't need to use contraception for things, so that moving forward, you can only choose activities -- or choose to do them in ways -- that won't leave you freaked.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

but am just wondering, although it was seeping out a bit, like oozing, why is it not a risk?

--------------------
Elessar

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

i have been on this site for a while too. only just registered. [Smile]

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To learn more about why some things pose pregnancy risks while others do not, try taking a look at this article:

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

'If there is a distinct barrier between the vagina and the penis in question, such as clothing, water or an interstate highway, there is not a likely risk of pregnancy.'

Meaning, although it is like oozing out, there is no risk? But what is it that is oozing then?

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little unclear what you're asking here. It sounds like there wasn't any direct contact between genitals, or between a bare vulva and freshly ejaculated semen. As you've read, if those things aren't present, there is no risk.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Oh I meant, why although there is no direct contact, but if I transfer some of the precum that was oozing out a bit of my underpants, and fingered her, how is that not risky?

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As you read in the Where Did I Come from article, many conditions have to be present in order for pregnancy to occur. pre-ejaculate on a finger doesn't meet those conditions. Again, there has to be direct genital contact, or direct contact between ejaculate and someone's vulva, direct essentially meaning that someone would have to ejaculate directly onto a vulva. Can you take another read through that article?

--------------------
Robin

Heather
Member # 3

So, here's the scoop with pre-ejaculate.

Pre-ejaculate most often won't contain any sperm cells. It doesn't by design, but now and then, if someone has recently ejaculated and didn't urinate first, it can pick up some trace cells on the way out.

BUT.

1) Those trace cells are usually the crummiest of all the sperm cells; the ones least likely to be able to do anything (all sperm cells aren't creates equally: they vary a whole lot from cell to cell).
2) There is nowhere NEAR as many sperm cells in those situations as there are in a full ejaculation, and it takes hundreds of good cells to create a pregnancy, not just one, which is what a lot of people are taught.
3) Even with semen from a full ejaculation, pregnancy from indirect transfer like this -- from penis to hand to vagina -- isn't likely. Perhaps you can see why, with what I've filled you in about pre-ejaculate, that's beyond unlikely with that fluid.

Make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Ohh. Cause this is like the bottom of the food chain which is like super unlikely in the first place. Then coupled with the fabric which they cannot pass and the hands so it's totally non existent? Is that it?

--------------------
Elessar

Heather
Member # 3

That's a pretty good way of looking at it, yes. [Smile]

Sounds like you get it now!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Thanks a lot. [Smile]

--------------------
Elessar

Heather
Member # 3

No problem. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Hey Heather,

Just to check, i read in your articles that during dry sex, as long as one person is wearing a piece of clothing (eg, underwear) there is no risk of pregnancy as sperms cannot go through clothing.

If so, does that mean that the wetness on the clothing that seeped through does not contain sperms? And the wetness that passes through is only water while sperms are blocked by the clothing? (I read this from another old post on this site where the analogy was used where clothing acts as a filter of sperms)

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI Elessar,

I'm not Heather, but I can answer this one for you if that's okay. [Smile]

Wearing clothing equals indirect contact, which, as you and Heather discussed above, is pretty unlikely to lead to pregnancy.

I see that you and she discussed pre-ejaculate already, so I'm a little unclear. Are you asking something different in this question?

--------------------
Robin

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Hi Robin,

Yeap sure.

No I was wondering how one layer of clothes can be a barrier for sperms. Was a bit confused when it was stated that sperms cannot pass through clothes, but then, what is it that pass through when the clothes are wet?

Does it mean that only water gets through clothes but sperms don't?

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As Heather said above, if we're talking about pre-ejaculate here, the likelihood that that fluid will even have sperm in it is low; and the likelihood that it will have viable sperm is even lower.

Pre-ejaculate and ejaculate can make clothes wet because they're fluids. Nothing, so far as I know, actually passes through; the fluids just make the clothes wet.

When we talk about indirect contact, we're talking about a situation in which ejaculate isn't in it's freshest, most complete form. If ejaculate gets on hands and is exposed to air, or if it soaks into fabric, it's no longer in it's freshest, most complete form.

Think about spilling a glass of water on a pair of pants. You know longer have a glass of water you can drink; you have water soaked into fabric. So too with ejaculation; you don't have ejaculate that can do it's job anymore; you have fabric soaked with ejaculate.

Again, though, in this case, we're talking about pre-ejaculate, which may not have sperm in it at all.

Does this help at all?

--------------------
Robin

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

so when i see it oozing out it is just fluids then, nothing else?

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

What do you mean by nothing else? As Heather explained, there may or may not be sperm in pre-ejaculate. There's no way to tell, though.

The bottom line here is that there was no pregnancy risk from what you described. It sounds, though, like you're still feeling worried?

--------------------
Robin

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

Not entirely, guess you got my point wrongly. I know there is no risk involved in what i did.

But on another note, I would just like to know that when you see like your underwear getting wet, and you see something oozing out, be it ejaculate or pre-ejaculate, that is just liquids is it? Cause I just want to know why can't sperms go through clothing...

--------------------
Elessar

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

I'm sorry. Guess I didn't explained it clear enough. [Frown]

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Even if someone were to be able to test semen that seeped through underwear, and found that there was sperm in it, it's unlikely that that sperm could then lead to pregnancy. The way pregnancy is known to happen just doesn't work like that. Sperm don't crawl, jump, fly, or run anywhere. They swim, for lack of a better word, in semen, with help from all the other sperm. This is why there has to be direct contact between genitals, or between fresh ejaculate and a vulva, in order for pregnancy to be a possibility.

Anything else, and the semen has started to dry up, or the sperm are dead or less viable from their exposure to air. IN other words, something has interrupted the delicate balance needed to keep sperm viable, and again, they're not able to jump.

If this still feels like a risky situation to you, you do have the option of avoiding direct genital contact with someone, regardless of what you're wearing or of ensuring that both you and your partner are wearing clothes, in which case there would be no possibility of fluids coming into contact with a bare vulva. [Smile]

[ 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Elessar
Activist
Member # 107551

ohh. okay. noted. [Smile]

Now i understand why as long as there is a piece of clothing involved then there is no risk involved at all. Its more on the environment, rather than seeping through or not.

I'm okay. I just want to be clear.

Thanks a lot Robin. Appreciate it.

--------------------
Elessar

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're so welcome. I'm glad it makes sense now.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.