Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Help! DO i need plan B?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! DO i need plan B?
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peachess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I have a bit of an issue. I am on birth control (28 days, alesse, the last 7 days are placebos which i normally don't take) and I missed 2 pills last month. When I noticed, I took two pills and two the next day, so that I was on track. This was towards the end of the active pills, and I got my period as scheduled. Today, the last day of my period, my bf and I had sex. Now i'm worried I should take Plan B to make sure i don't get pregnant. PLease help! Could I still be getting pregnant?
Posts: 45 | From: canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peachess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and when i say I don't take the placebos, i don't take anything else. I just don't bother taking the pill itself.
Posts: 45 | From: canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

also, it happened ~ day 11-12 (that i missed the two pills); not sure exactly but roughly at this time during the cycle. Thanks again, sorry for the numerous posts I'm a bit nervous!!!! any help would be appreciated
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you have not yet started your new pack, but are still on the withdrawal week from the old one?

Missing more than one pill in a cycle can lower the effectiveness of the pill. However, there is really no way any of us can figure out just how much your protection was compromised. If you took all of your other pills exactly as directed, and since you made up the missed pills right away, you can figure that you are probably still somewhere near the typical use rate for the pill, which is around 92%.

A note for the future? When you miss a pill, it's a good idea to back up with condoms for the rest of that cycle.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

Thank you! Yes, correct, I'm on the withdrawal week. I start my new pack tomorrow.

To be honest, i didn't realize that the effectiveness was only ~92%!!! Is that what you mean? It is effective 92%?

So you don't think taking EC at this point would be helpful?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The typical use rate of the pill is 92% in a year's time. So, of the people studied over a year who used the pill in typical fashion 92% of them didn't get pregnant.

How quickly did you make up the pills you missed? That is, when did you notice that you'd missed them?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

the next day. I take my pills at night, and around midday the next day I realized and took 2 pills.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From everything you've described here, I don't think Plan B would offer you any more benefit than you're getting from your daily birth control pills.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

thank you for your responses!
I thought maybe because of the missed pills I would be protecting myself further from unplanned pregnancy by taking plan B. But i guess this isn't the case? are my odds the same either way then?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The effectiveness of EC is likely lower than the protection that the pill is still offering you, even with the slightly compromised effectiveness rate. So, you can of course take EC if it would make you feel safer, but it likely would not do anything to increase your protection.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

And so there is no reason for me even to feel safer by taking it then? It would be pointless?

I'm still really worried.. probably will be until I know for sure. In any case, I wanted to know how to increase the odds of not getting pregnant; I don't really feel too comfortable with the 92%! Is this number higher if my partner "pulls out" (sorry if this is inappropriate/ incorrect terminology for the site)

Also, could I take a pregnancy test even though I finished my period on Sunday? Which is the same day we had sex, that evening.

Thank you so much for all of your help! The service you provide is invaluable:)

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your partner pulled out of you before ejaculating then yes, this means there's an even smaller risk of pregnancy from this.

From our article The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
you can see that the combo of "typical use" birth control pills (which is what the situation you describe falls under) and withdrawal is 97.84% effective.

In terms of when to take a pregnancy test, it's best to wait until at least two weeks after the perceived risk. There's more info on pregnancy testing here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests If you do want to test, just wait until it's been two weeks.

I agree with other folks that there's nothing that indicates, to me, that you need to take Plan B. It's totally up to you, of course, but what I'm reading here doesn't set off any warning signs in my mind or anything.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

Thanks for all of the advice.
I just have a question for you. Since we last spoke, I've been taking my pill everyday before bed, and haven't missed one. Today, I started having period symptoms (cramping, back ache, etc) and am now having some bleeding. My period was not expected to start until next week, so if this is my period it's a week early. Should I be concerned? Thanks!!!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you haven't been taking your pills correctly, missing pills, etc, then you can usually expect some unexplained bleeding or spotting, or withdrawal bleeds that can happen even while you're taking the active pills.

It's likely going to take more like another full pack taken correctly, maybe more than one, rather than a week of pills taken correctly, for your body to get back in the groove.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peachess
Activist
Member # 45539

This period has already gone on for a week (at least 2 days longer than usual) and my cramps have been significantly worse this time.. Am I right in assuming that these symptoms could balsa be attributed to missing the pills the pack before last?? Thanks!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, when you take pills incorrectly, it can certainly create changes in withdrawal bleeds (periods) or other vaginal bleeding or spotting.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.