Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Why is my period late? Pregnancy risk? :O

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is my period late? Pregnancy risk? :O
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RS1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. Im new on this website and this is my first time here.

A few months ago (january) i've had a broken condom incident but there was no semen or ejaculation as it broke relatively early into sex. But i've gotten my period 4 days after that incident. And my periods in february and march as well.

The last time i had PROTECTED sex was march 19th the condom did not break. We also use the withdrawl method even with the condom on ( as in he pulls out and then cums while the condom is still on just for extra measures). I got my period on march 21st.

And its april now and my period is still a no show. I have all my final exams coming up and i guess i've been a little stressed out and i put on a couple of pounds and i first thought that i could be pregnant, and that got me scared even more. But, i've had no symptoms...and i've taken 3 pregnancy tests. One on the 18th and two on the 24th of april and they all were big fat negatives.

Should i just wait out for my period to come? Or is it necessary to go to the doctor for a possible pregnancy risk? Thanks for your time [Smile]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you've had three periods since the broken condom, and three negative pregnancy tests? And since then, you've only had sex where a condom was used for all genital contact?

If so, it does not sound like you need to be worried about a pregnancy risk here.

Periods are going to be late every once in a while, that's not a big deal and not something you need to see your doctor about.

Here are some other reasons why your period may be late:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RS1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply. And i was just a bit worried cause im so used to getting my period once a month. But then again i've been stressing a bit too much.

Also i had some questions about birth control, that it might be a good option. Because i really dont want another pregnancy scare and worrying myself sick over this.

I live in india, and im not really sure if they gove out birth control pills to 17 year olds without the parents consent. If you hapeen to know anything about this, that would be helpful.

Thank you for your time im a bit relieved knowing that i had no possible pregnancy risk. So either i take more preventive measures or just stop having sex for a while.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having your body do something you're not used to can be pretty unsettling, so I totally understand that! But our bodies aren't machines, so even a usually very regular menstrual cycle can be off from time to time.

I think it is a great idea for you and your partner to talk about your options in terms of birth control, and to reconsider which sexual activities you are ready for. Condoms offer excellent protection when used correctly (more on that here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual), but if you're still worried about pregnancy, then I agree that it would be smart to take activities that pose pregnancy risks off the table, at least until you have access to the kinds of birth control that will make you feel more comfortable.

I've left a note for a friend in India who'll help me out with answering your question re birth control, so I will get back to you on that.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

I've just read your article on the chicken soup for pregnancy symptoms and came across the decidual bleeding and such during pregnancy.
Does it occur through out the pregnancy ? Or just once?

Cause my periods look and feel like normal ones with the red blood and clots and all. But if by any chance i was pregnant and happen to be a few of those people with decidual bleeding....i would probably be about 3 montha pregant IF that was the case. As i've had no symptoms so far and negative pregnancy tests. Can i rule this out? Because if i.was 3 months along, the pregnancy tests would have picked up the hcg right? Im just tryba understand everything. As i've mentioned earlier, i havent had sex since my last period.

As for thw birth control. Thanks! Ill look forward to that response.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Decidual bleeding can occur at any point throughout a pregnancy. However, it is very unlikely that decidual bleeding would happen exactly when you expect a period and look just like a period. So, if you have had what looked and felt like regular periods to you, there is absolutely no reason to suspect that it was anything else.

I think at this point, you can rest assured that you are not pregnant, and there is no sense in wasting energy worrying about that. It would be much more productive to focus on how you can deal with your anxiety going forward.

Have you been able to talk to your partner about your worries? Maybe you can come up with a plan together, and figure out which sexual activities are okay for you and which aren't.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Oh okay! Thanks for the information [Smile]

And yeah. Actually we decided to just take things slow for a while until we figure out something more reliable like birth control.

I really don't want to freak out for no reason and all. It seems pretty much impossible to me right now that i could be pregnant. And i've had quite enough proof. So i think its safer to just wait a bit than get another scare.

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi RS1995, glad to hear you're changing things up so that you don't get another scare like this! Have you talked in-depth about what "taking things slowly" means for the two of you? Have you thought about and discussed what kinds of sexual activity you are and are not comfortable with right now, and/or what method(s) of contraception you feel you need for various sexual activities to be able to feel comfortable?

When considering what form(s) of birth control would be best for you, have you taken a look at our article?
Birth Control Bingo!
This is a very helpful article that walks you through your various options and helps you decide which would be the best fit for you.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Yes we have thanks! As of now no sex for a while cause im just getting used to this. And as for birth control, one of your volunteers said they will get back to me on that as i live in india [Smile] Im off too college in a couple of months and with all my medical exams going on, i think its best i start birth control.before i leave to college.

So once again, making sure, its safe to say im not pregnant right? Is it required i take another HPT in a couple of days? Cause like i asked before, incase i was pregnant (i would probably be 3 months along IF i was) , the HPT would show up positive, am i correct?

Thank you [Smile]

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the birth control pill isn't the only effective method of birth control, so if you want to know about others that you may be able to use until you are able to get the pill, that article provides information about all different kinds of contraception. It sounds like you know pretty well what will be a good fit for you, though, and you're already using condoms and withdrawal which together are very effective!

As September has said already, taking 3 pregnancy tests all with the same result means you can rely on those. I think you should try to focus on other things because you've done all you can around this incident. As she said, it is a better idea to focus on moving forward from this and working on your anxiety.

[ 04-27-2013, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Yeah i know. Im just tryna move on from this anxiety and reassure myself that im not pregnant. Once i get my period i'll be back to normal.
Because like a part of my brain says "you cant be pregnant! And even if you were you'd show symtoms and the pregnancy test would show up positive if you were that far along!" but that little voice in my heads just like maybe theres a possibility. As of now, with all your guys help, it has reduced by a great amount [Smile]

RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

I just wanna clarify something.
April is almost over and i still havent gotten my period, is it okay that it akipped this month?
Also, is it required to take another pregnancy tests just incase?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is possible to skip a month completely. You got your last period close to the end of March, so it doesn't actually look like this next period is very late at all in coming. Our bodies don't follow the calendar even if we use the calendar to keep track of them.

From what you described above, if you've had no sexual contact that could lead to pregnancy since march 19th, and you took pregnancy tests several weeks after that (plus, you got a period a couple of days later), I see no reason why a pregnancy test would be necessary, unless seeing another negative result would be helpful to you in easing your worries.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

I was just checking my longest cycle so far and it was almost 38 days! So yeah i guess im not that late either and i guess the stress just got to me.

I was just wondering if what i got was decidual bleeding or not, but if it was i would have definitely gotten a positive pregnancy test. It just took a while for the common sense to kick in [Razz]

i will probably take 2 more tmrw to put my mind at ease so it doesnt further delay my period.

Thank you for your time ! [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Ahhh two more negative pregnancies tests this morning. Phew! I can finally just take a deep breath and be relieved. When september gets back to me about the birth control, i think ill be set. Oh btw. I live in a city called hyderabad. If it makes it any easier. [Smile]
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Ahhh two more negative pregnancies tests this morning. Phew! I can finally just take a deep breath and be relieved. When september gets back to me about the birth control, i think ill be set. Oh btw. I live in a city called hyderabad. If it makes it any easier. [Smile]
RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Just a question.
I haven't tested early have I?
I took the pregnancy tests on 18th, 24th, and 29th. They seem pretty much spaced out to me...

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Did you test at least two weeks after the sexual activity that you were worried could have resulted in pregnancy? If so, then yes, you tested correctly.

--------------------
Robin

RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

The sexual activity which i was worried about took place in january! Which was months ago. And the last time i had sex was on march 19th. Which was over 5 weeks ago. And that too it was protected with a condom+withdrawl.

So im guessing i tested correctly?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, you tested correctly. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Well yaaay. Thats a relief.
So just gotta be on the look out for my next period.
Phew! That was a close one.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Hi RS, I'm back with that information from my friend in India. She is a doctor herself and called up a friend of her's who is a gynecologist, and unfortunately the consensus seems to be that a doctor will not write you a prescription without a guardian present. So, it seems like you will have to wait until you are 18 if you want to use hormonal birth control.

In the meantime, you do have other options. Onionpie has linked you to our Birth Control Bingo, which should help you find something that works for you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

I got my period! So relieved.
And yeah i figured, Indias still pretty orthodox.
And yes. Will do. Ill have a look at that. Thanks for your help [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm glad to hear you're relieved. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

RS1995
Neophyte
Member # 107410

Thanks! Im having these weird muscle spasms in my stomach like above my belly button and sometimes near the pelvic region. Its almost like somethings kicking in me....are these just normal period cramps?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There are a lot of reasons for muscle spasms, including stress. Since you were pretty worried and tense before, I'm guessing your body is just slowly trying to relax now.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.