Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Condom breaking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom breaking
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feathersx3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm back here again.

I had sex tonight at 930pm. We used Trojan ultra thin spermicidal lubed condoms. It was the third condom that we used from that pack. The condom broke so first thing I did was trying to squeeze as much sperm out of me and peeing. Then we rushed to the nearest pharmacy to buy plan b. I took plan b at around 10 o clock, so only 30 minutes after the risk incident. I have posted here before asking about plan b, and I am here asking about it again.

I just got off my period when I had sex (though I had some brown discharge after). Is plan b effective as it was the first time I took it? This is my second time using plan b and I don't use it as birth control, only as emergency pill. Also, how effective, or can you provide me more information on spermicidal condoms? I read your condom article and it said thin and lubed condoms work best. I am worried because I do not want to get pregnant and this is my second pregnancy scare. Also, the condom box said "Caution: spermicidal lubricants are not for more-than-once-a-day vaginal use". I am confused. I have had sex twice in one day using those condoms and they didn't break. My partner did say they feel a little tight. Can you give me some advice please? Thank you so much once again!

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B should still be as effective as you took it the first time, but as this is the second time you've taken it recently, maybe it'd be a good time to re-evaluate your birth control options? It's just much less expensive to, say, take the birth control pill rather than have to purchase Plan B for every other failed form of birth control.

If you'd like to continue using condoms, I'd recommend you give this a read, so as to reduce the likelihood of any future breaking: Condom Basics: A User's Manual

I'm not sure we have an article specifically on spermicidal condoms per se, but this article can work in lieu of that, if you keep the effectiveness of plain condoms in mind: Spermicides

And I'm thinking the condom box had that warning because spermicides tend to be irritants; the article above will explain why that is.

[ 03-26-2013, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Allie R ]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feathersx3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am thinking of going on birth control, if not, I will just stop having sex. I am sick and tired of these pregnancy scares. Is there a possibility that I can get pregnancy after this risk? I have took all of the necessary steps after the incident. Thank you for the articles. I am just so worried fight now.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to know for sure at this point if you did or did not get pregnant is to take a pregnancy test 14 or more days after when this occurred or if your period is late, whichever comes first.

Certainly, feeling scared every time you engage in sexual activity isn't a lot of fun, and if not engaging in that activity would relieve you of this fear, that's a reasonable thing to do.

If you feel like using an additional birth control method would lower the risk enough for you to feel comfortable, then that's certainly an option. Would you like to discuss the different options for birth control?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

I would like to try birth control however, I don't know much about it nor do I want my mom to find out about it. I'd be worried if it showed up on health insurance records for her to see.

I have called Planned Parenthood for some counseling and the lady I talked to said though my chances of not getting pregnant is not 100%, there is a slim chance of me getting pregnant. At this point, everyone I have talked to said I should be fine however I am still worried and stressed out of my mind. My period is not going to arrive until next month around the 20th.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not expecting your period for another few weeks, you can test for pregnancy before that. Here's some information on pregnancy testing.
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

There are many different options for birth control. If you used your health insurance, it would be possible, from what I understand, for your mother to find out. To get birth control without using your insurance you'd need to pay out-of-pocket. The people at your Planned Parenthood clinic would be good people to talk to about your options around this.

Here's some information about different birth control options that you can look through.

Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feathers, one quick note - you say you're expecting your period around the 20th of next month, but Plan B will often upset your menstrual cycle for a few months, so it's quite possible that you won't get your period when you expect it even if you aren't pregnant. I think Robin's suggestion of a pregnancy test could be a good idea if that's the case, so you don't worry based on your menstrual cycle alone.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Thank you for your guys replies. I really appreciate it. Its been 5 days after I took the pill and I am bleeding a little. I know the side effects may include bleeding but I don't know how long I should expect it to be. I am concerned because will the bleeding delay my period? Well I will take a test on the 8th hopefully. I am confused about the bleeding. Does that mean I'm not pregnant because the lining of my uterine wall is shedding? Or is the bleeding going to take the place of my period? I took plan b once in January. I don't track my periods until January. I got my period on the 20th of January, 21 of Feb and 20 of march.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B/the MAP can make periods or menstrual cycles wonky sometimes, and when that happens it can happen,. usually, for anywhere from one to around 3 cycles.

So, with or without bleeding due to Plan B, your period may not arrive at the usual time. But it's usually advised that after using Plan B -- since it's assumed that it's been used due to unprotected sex or sex with a birth control failure of some kind -- people test for pregnancy if their periods don't show up as expected.

Bleeding is a possible side effect of Plan B: it's not an indication someone has or has not become pregnant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Hello there.

So I took a pregnancy test 11 days after this incident and it came out negative. I took another test 5 days before my expected period and it also came out negative. I have a minor question though. I know you're supposed to test it on the first morning urination but I did the second pee. So basically I peed earlier in the morning like at 6. Then when I woke up at 8 for school, that's when I peed for the pregnancy test. It came out negative. It's the 22nd and I was expecting my period to come today.

I have called planned parenthood and they said I should wait by the end of this week and if i don't get it, i should take another test. I am very worried since both of my tests came out negative yet my period hasn't came. I know plan b messes up my cycle but I don't know by how many days. I understand it varies for every woman but I don't know how long is too long. I hope you guys can help me.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if your specific test said that you should use your first urination? Some do specify that and others don't; if you still have those instructions to refer to you can double-check if that was your brand. It's possible that you didn't do anything to change how effective the test was.

Since you took Plan B I'm not at all surprised that your period hasn't shown up exactly on the day you expected it; it's unfortunate that there isn't a way to know how long or to what extent it will impact your cycle but as Heather mentioned above, it can change things up for 1-3 cycles. Also, from what you said above it sounds like you aren't actively charting your cycle and it isn't necessarily regular, so it doesn't sound like time to worry yet.

For now, since you've had two negative tests and your period isn't actually late yet, it's probably a good idea to take a deep breath and try to relax a bit. I think it makes sense to wait a few more days before you test again; waiting until the end of the week sounds like a reasonable deadline.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

The HPT didn't specify or so I don't think. I did the first urination because I read that its more effective that way online. Because after my first morning pee at 6am, I did not drink or eat anything afterwards. I just slept until 8am and then took the test before getting ready for school.

The line that showed up for negative was lighter in color than the other line next to it. Nonetheless, both tests showed up negative. I am trying so hard to stay positive because everyone has assured me that I will be fine. I guess I'm looking for more reassurance than anything though nothing is sure 100%.

I'm really thankful to have you guys here as support because I really don't know what I would do without you guys (volunteers and founders). Thank you. I will be back with updates and I hope my period comes soon!

feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

So this morning after I got ready for school, I thought I got on my period so I went to go check and I was actually spotting. I can tell because the blood isn't as dark as my usual period or smell like a period. I was wondering if the spotting will turn into a full blown period because this is really teasing me right now. I've only spotted once in my life and that was 5 days after I took plan B. Thank you guys!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Periods can start in all sorts of ways, including slow light bleeding that feels more like spotting than a flow. No one can tell you whether your period is starting though, so you're just going to have to hang on and be patient. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Oh well that is good to know. If I keep spotting for the next several days, is that going to replace my period? Thank you for your answer!!
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Even though the last time I had my period was last month, I feel like I am going crazy and forgetting how a period looked and smelled like. The blood is getting thicker like a normal period, smell wise, not the same. When I wipe, however, the blood shows up light and more watery. I feel as if I won't know when the spotting blood will be period blood when it does turn into period blood.
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, feathersx3,

I had the exact same thing happen to me once before, and at the time I had already taken plan B multiple times in the past (not recommendable, by the way) without experiencing bleeding...except this one time when I did. I, too, was completely confused and terrified -- I thought I was hemorrhaging from all the chemicals my body was being bombarded with.

I went to have myself checked out at the local student health center that the university I attended had on campus and told the nurse who was examining me that I had already had my period and now I'm bleeding again, but I also took plan B. And she said that plan B will do that to you, and it's nothing serious.

So yeah, I didn't know what to make of it either. It looked like a period with blood and everything, but then eventually that went away; it was too heavy to be implantation bleeding, and it couldn't have been implantation to begin with because I took it early on within the time frame that one is supposed to in order to prevent pregnancy. That was a while back, and I never did end up getting pregnant after all this time anyway.

So, I'm afraid, feathersx3, that you're going to have to just wait this one out--just like what the other volunteers have said. And I'm hoping that my anecdote will help to put you at ease. [Smile]

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

Hello Patricia,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. It definitely helped me alot! After the spotting went away, did you get your period after that month?

I took another pregnancy test on Saturday 4/27 and it came out negative. I began spotting again on wednesday 4/24 and I am still spotting. I am still waiting it out and not really sure what's happening with me.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B can throw your cycle out of whack for a few months, so I'd say that the spotting you're having now is due to that. You've taken a couple of tests with negative results, so you can be sure you're not pregnant, it's just going to take some time for your body to get back into it's usual cycle.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feathersx3
Neophyte
Member # 103869

That's great to hear Karybu! Thank you.
I've spoke to a few planned parenthood counselors and they've all told me different things. Either the spotting was my period because they said spotting could have been a really light period. Then another counselor said spotting could lead to a period, or I could just skipped my period for this month. I've stopped spotting and now have brownish discharge. It's almost gone now.

Thank you guys so much for everything. You don't know how much I appreciate you guys!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.