Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Could I be pregnant? Is there a risk at all?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I be pregnant? Is there a risk at all?
Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mila Artenton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 17. I gave my bf a handjob that day. I stopped before he ejaculated, but probably got some pre ejaculate on my hand. Then I washed my hand with soap and water. Then took a shower and obviously washed "down there".

My period is 4 days late. My period has always been irregular, the latest being 16 days late.

Symptoms I have:
I have a freaking lot of acne appearing on my face!
Stomach Cramps
Sore breasts
Weird "blood smell" at my vagina (SORRY TMI)

Posts: 11 | From: Usa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Mila Artenton, and welcome to Scarleteen,

No, what you describe cannot lead to pregnancy. In order for pregnancy to occur, there needs to be direct contact between a bare penis and a bare vulva, or direct contact between freshly ejaculated semen onto a bare vulva (so, someone ejaculating directly onto the vulva).

I presume that you're describing your symptoms because you're wondering if they're a sign of pregnancy. Signs of pregnancy would not show up this early. Do you usually experience these thinges-sore breasts, etc--before your period?

Also, it doesn't sound as if your period is late at all, given that it's irregular. [Smile]

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mila Artenton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, thanks for replying.

I do get those symptoms before my period.. but I guess I'm just freaking out.

Posts: 11 | From: Usa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very welcome.

It sounds then like your body is following its usual pattern, with the start day of your period not being very predictable and with you having your usual premenstrual symptoms. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mila Artenton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh by the way, I have another question. Hope you don't mind!

I do have anxiety.. but I don't go to a therapist or anything because we can't afford it right now..

Do you think that because of my anxiety, I could be "scaring" myself into all these symptoms? After reading your post, I started to feel like maybe a little nauseous and also I actually feel like there's something in my lower abdomen!

I know that, you said what I described cannot lead to pregnancy, but because my period is nowhere to be found, I am just so freaking anxious and freaking out.. alot. But you did help a lot!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I know this is scary, but I think it's important to remember that your period not being here yet is not unusual for you.

Have you experienced these kinds of symptoms with your anxiety before? Many of the symptoms you described can very much be associated with anxiety for many people, particularly nausea. [Smile]

It sounds like money is tight for your family, but have you explored low-cost or no-cost therapy options? do you have a doctor or other healthcare provider who has evaluated your anxiety? If so, they could maybe help with this?

--------------------
Robin

Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

No.. but I'll probably do that. Thanks a bunch! [Smile]
Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Do you think I should be seeing a doctor about my irregular periods?

My latest one was 16 days late! But last month, it was only 2 days late.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you chart your periods? How long have you been menstruating?

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9026 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

I'm 17 now.. I've been menstruating ever since I was 11. I've NEVER had a regular period.

Most of the time, they're 5-10 days late. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a litte more.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you say you are usually 5-10 days late, I wonder how you arrive at that number. How long is your average cycle? How do you figure out when your next period should be due?

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9026 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Hmm.. its probably not correct but.. if I get it on the 20th this month, I expect it 20th next month. :/ & count from there.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Yep, that is not how you chart your menstrual cycle.

This is what you do: on the first day of your period, you start counting - right up to the first day of your next period. The number of days between those two days, that is how long your menstrual cycle was that month. On average, that is going to be around 28 days, but some women have cycles that are shorter than that, and others cycles that are longer than that. The key is figuring out what that number is for you - and that is what will help you predict your periods better.

So, I'd not jump to the conclusion yet that your periods are wildly irregular. To find out, you'll want to start counting like I explained above. Once you've been doing that for a few months, you'll start to see a pattern emerging.

Also, even a regular period does not arrive on exactly the day you would expect it to. Having a cycle that is 30 days long one month, 32 days the next, and 29 the one after that would still be what we call a regular menstrual cycle.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Thanks for the quick reply! That's pretty much what I mean. But it's always more than 30 days.. Sometimes its 46, Sometimes 40, sometimes 35.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Well, it being longer than 30 days is not a big deal. Some women do have cycles on the longer side, up to 40 or more days. However, if you have variations of 10 or more days from cycle to cycle, then yes, your cycle is irregular.

Since you're not routinely skipping periods altogether, and you are still fairly young, this does not sound like a cause for concern. However, it is certainly something you an bring up at your next check up with the gynecologist.

[ 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Hmm.. its probably not correct but.. if I get it on the 20th this month, I expect it 20th next month. :/ & count from there.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Do you note the start dates of each period? If you do, you could go back and look to see if there is, indeed, a pattern. There really are no rules with menstrual cycles; many many people (including me) do not, and have never had, the 28-day cycle that people think of as "normal."

--------------------
Robin

Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Omg. Now I'm spotting? The blood is brown?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would you like us to address, particularly understanding that we can't know why you're spotting?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mila Artenton
Neophyte
Member # 107339

Well.. If it was implantation bleeding, when would it start after sexual contact?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Implantation bleeding is only going to be something that occurs -- when it does, it's less common rather than more -- with people who are pregnant. And you haven't posted about anything you have done here that could have created a pregnancy.

That alone tells you clearly this isn't implantation bleeding, because you cannot be pregnant from what you described.

When it does happen, though, it happens when a fertilized egg is implanting in the uterine wall, and that's usually around a week after someone has actually engaged in what CAN create a pregnancy.

All you can really do for now, if you're not going to accept what we've told you about pregnancy not being possible, is to wait this out until you can take a pregnancy test. And that'll be when it has either been at least two weeks from when you first posted (assuming what you posted about happened that same day) or when your period is late.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.