Donate Now
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Would plan B be an overkill in this?

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would plan B be an overkill in this?
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 9 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had sex for the first time in a long time yesterday. I'm terrified of it because the 2nd time ever the condom broke. I was on the pill but stopped about 2 months ago , it made me miserable. Since then I've been a bit irregular and have yet to show any signs of ovulation that i did before the pill. That being said, we used a condom with lube and he pulled out before he ejaculated and we finished manually. The condom did not break and we filled it with water to check. A little precum may have came out the base of the condom, I think? He says it was just the lube. Either way, does that pose enough of a risk for A plan B? It was the 13th day of my cycle.

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MissO,

It sounds to me like it's really unlikely there was a risk of pregnancy from what your describing.

Have you checked out this page yet, Pregnancy Scared?. Take a look at this, evaluate your risk and let us know if you have any questions.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've checked it. But even if there was some pre-ejaculate -- could it still cause a pregnancy ?

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss O,

Here are some facts about pre-ejaculation.

Sometimes sperm may be present in pre-ejaculate, which is likely why 4% of perfect withdrawal users become pregnant. The likeliness of sperm being present in pre-ejaculate is higher if the man has ejaculated recently or has not urinated before intercourse (From ) Misconception Mayhem.

It seems to me pretty unlikely that pre-ejaculation would make it's way to the base of the condom. Your boyfriend did say it was lube, right?

Do you still feel that there is a risk of pregnancy?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that just eased me a lot. I know I saw the pre- ejaculate perfectly vacuum sealed a the top of the condom and checked for leaks in every way possible, I've just been terrified ever since the one time it broke. I'm sure he pee'd before intercourse nor had he ejaculated at all in a few days. Nor was there any sign of ovulation and I had the "dry and sticky" type of vaginal discharge before any intercourse occurred. So Taking emergency contraception wouldn't really be helpful in this ?

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you used a condom for all genital contact and it did not break or slip off, you do not need to worry about a pregnancy risk. And it sounds like you did use a condom correctly, so I see no reason to worry.

Ultimately, it is up to you if you want to take EC for your peace of mind. However, it does not sound to me like it is needed in this situation.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MissO, if so yes, a little, but I'd say the very unlikely thing would be that it was pre-ejaculate at all, which appears in much smaller quantities than normal ejaculate. So the chance of it making it to the base of the condom is very slim, but coupled with how much less capable it is of causing pregnancy even when completely inside the vagina, the risk is really really small.

I would say that this would be a risk, albeit an incredibly small one which we'd have to assume for almost every time we have penis-in-vagina sex with a condom and without any other form of birth control.

This might be a risk that's totally unacceptable to you so I don't think seeking plan B would be something I'd frown upon. But to avoid it in future it sounds as though you might only feel better than this for future sex if you're also using 2nd form of birth control.

We are talking about very small risks here, which is what we get when we manage our risks and take measures like the use of condoms.

If you find that this is still really worrying you it can be a sign that there is something more to address... taking sex a little slower until it's happening in a way you feel really comfortable and good about might be a really good move for you.

(Also, if you haven't read this already it is totally worth reading: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/whats_the_risk_easy_pregnancy_risk_assessments )

Posts: 685 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Guys, I think I'll just take my 2% chance of getting pregnant from this ( As I've spent a lot of time analyzing what posts you guys suggested) vs the 98% chance of not getting pregnant and figure out another type of hormonal birth control before I have sex again. Thanks for the help [Smile]

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Miss O,

It's most likely that what you saw around the base of the condom was lube, your own vaginal secretions, or both. The way condoms are designed, the fluids that come out of the penis, whether pre-ejaculate or ejaculate, are contained within it.

Also, for future reference, you don't need to fill the condom with water to check that it stayed intact. A condom break will be noticeable, a sizeable split or tear. [Smile]

Would you like to discuss your birth control options?

[ 04-15-2013, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of want something that can be used with condoms that's not hormonal. We're about to separate for a long time in Month or so, therefore i don't want to go through the trouble again.

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked out those options starting here: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_hormonal_or_nonhormonal

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3