Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » HELP MY FRIEND WANTS TO KILL HERSELF

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP MY FRIEND WANTS TO KILL HERSELF
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 9 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so long story short someone in illinois is texting me and all thats on her mind is suicide
I located a crisis center near her and an out of state number to call
Can someone call 8159370700 and have someone pick up this person at [edited] and intervene or hospitalize them? I am unable to call the hotline myself

[ 04-15-2013, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the number i gave is if an out of state person needs to call the center
She isnt able to get help herself

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to edit that address out immediately first: putting another person's address online without their permission isn't okay, and we also make clear in our user guidelines that no one should EVER post addresses.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She can text the police or you can call the police: either one of you, it's a 911 call. They will take it from there.

And that's what you or she will need to do ASAP, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, possible suicides are outside our scope as a sexuality education service and our ability to manage, for many reasons. I'm glad you want to help your friend, but for future reference, this isn't the kind of thing to bring here, as it's not something we can offer help with.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok but what should i do??? Her parents wont let her go to a mental ward, she has no insurance, she refuses to call herself, im unable to make a call, i cant just tell one of my friends to do it
I dont wanna see anyone get hurt here [Frown]

--------------------

That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Ok sorry abt that
I just read your other 2 messages
I thought this was an emergency or crisis
Im talkin her into calling 911 now

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I really need you to hear my limits here, respect them, and trust that I have them for a reason. This is an issue that is a big and difficult part of my life experience, and I earnestly lack the capacity to deal with it here. I also reserve the right not to, and expect our users to respect that.

I told you: the thing to do when someone's life is in danger is to call 911, just like with anything else.

If you can't, I know you live with your parents: you can ask them to do so. Or, if there is no phone at all in your home, go to a neighbor's house and ask to use theirs.

When we don't have insurance, that does not mean we can't still get emergency hospital care. In the states, we can always still get that. It is not going to be up to her parents as to if she gets that care or not. That choice will be up to the police or ambulance staff who respond to her emergency.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.