Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » New to all of this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to all of this
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gotquestionspls         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently became sexually active and I have so many questions. I looked around the site for a bit before I decided to post a topic. I read the article about condom basics and then the one about pregnancy risks and how to assess whether or not you had one. Im not sure If I was looking correctly or understanding but I didnt want to assume anything and so I wanted to come and ask.

The last time my boyfriend and I had sex we used a condom. Followed all the steps I read about in that article! When he went to remove the condom there was a bunch of white stuff on the condom. I dont know if that was from me or if the sperm/semen in the condom somehow got out. The condom didn't break or nothing and it was still on and didn't fall off at all. I dont have a lot of knowledge about condoms and stuff so I don't know if this is a situation where I need to get EC and this is a condom failure.

Please Help!

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi gotquestionspls and welcome to Scarleteen,

Unless the condom breaks, the semen isn't going to be getting out of it. The white stuff you saw was most likely vaginal secretions and the lubricant from the condom.

Does that help? [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gotquestionspls         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That totally does help thank you [Smile] [Smile]

While waiting for a reply I kinda looked around the forums similar to my topic (sorry I dont know if that was allowed or not!), and I was wondering is it possible for semen to come out of the bottom of the condom? I know sometimes when he pulls out the semen is at the tip and sometimes around the head of the penis and so Im not sure if thats common that the semen moves around the top or its supposed to stay in the little tip. Im asking because there was some white stuff at the base of the condom too!

Thank you for the welcome [Smile]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your own lubrication as well as lubricant is usually what we're seeing at the base of the condom when we see "white stuff" there. Friction from sex can tend to froth both of those up and make them look whiter and thicker, just like egg white goes from clear to more white and frothy when we whip it around.

Thanks to our friend gravity, and the way condoms are designed with a tip specifically designed to hold ejaculate, ejaculate is generally going to stay in the tip of the condom, not go to the base of it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

If it does reach the base can it escape???
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Suffice it to say, if the effectiveness of condoms used alone, even perfectly 9which is around 96% effective in one year of use) isn't good enough for you, you always have the option of adding a second method.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Im going to be put on the birth control pills in a few weeks or so!

He held on to the base when withdrawing after he came and he was still hard so the condom stayed on. With all of those factors, is it possible for the semen to get out of the base of the condom?

[ 03-27-2013, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: gotquestionspls ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the condom stayed on, and he still had an erection when he withdrew, then you can be confident the condom was effective and the chances of semen coming out the bottom are very small.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Thank you [Smile]

When someone says its effective 7 days after the start of pills or insertion of the implant, if it was done on monday, is it effective the next monday or the tuesday after?

Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that means 168 hours after it's insertion/the first pill was consumed. So if you started at 12 PM on Monday, it would be effective the following Monday around that time.

It doesn't hurt at all to wait longer, though; we typically recommend one uses a second form of birth control (condoms) during the first active cycle of pills, just to be safe.

In fact, if you don't have qualms with them, condoms are a nice kind of security blanket in terms of effectiveness- the combined effectiveness of them and hormonal birth control is above 99%, plus they'll serve you in terms of STI prevention.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

I see thank you. My sister just got the implant and she wanted me to ask more about that. Her doctor said it was effective seven days from insertion and it was inserted on Monday and the NEXT tuesday, she had a condom slip. She isnt sure if she should get ec or not? What do you recommend she do?

Thank you [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

EC is much less effective than her implant at this point (given it's Thursday now), and I see no reason her implant would not have been fully effective when this happened.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultimately, she would have to ask her doctor to be sure. However, if her doctor said the implant is effective seven days from insertion, and she had a condom slip on the eighth day, technically, she'd be ok per her doctor. But I highly recommend that she bring this up to her doctor to be safe.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 231 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Yeah she was freaking out and I only told her I found this site today (I signed up yesterday) so she wasnt sure where to ask.

Im sorry but I dont understand your sentence about the implant not being fully effective. Im not good with double negatives.

Are you saying that her implant was fully effective when the slip happened?

Heather
Member # 3

Yes, it would have been. [Smile]

And she can know that just by doing the math herself, since the doctor who inserted it let her know that after seven days, she could count on it's full effectiveness.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Thanks so much! I felt kinda silly not understanding your sentence but its better to ask and be safe not sorry [Smile]

In regards to what Patricia H recommended about bringing it up with her doctor, she tried to get in contact with her but its through Planned Parenthood and she said they're really sucky about getting back to her, she left a message and they usually take 2-3 days to call back!

Can I relay Heather's message to her though, that since it happened 8 days after insertion, it would have been fully effective on day the slip happened?

Heather
Member # 3

Hey, we don't always understand each other: it's my job to make sure I say things the way any of you can understand, so no worries. [Smile]

And by all means, I'd relay that I backed up the same thing her doctor said, so she can figure she now has the same input from two different people whose job this is.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Thanks for that, you all are so nice here!! [Smile]

Yeah I think she was worried about the math, since people count the days different and so she wasn't sure of the seventh day would have been the next Monday or the Tuesday. is it the general rule for the implant that it's effective seven days after insertion or was that the judgement call of her doctor?

Heather
Member # 3

Nope, that's standard with all insertions.

As well, it often works as soon as it's inserted -- not seven days later -- if and when someone has it inserted at the time of the menstrual cycle suggested by a provider. So, that implant may have been working for her even before a week after insertion.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

I see so, so it may have already been working before the 7 days after insertion but to be on the safe side, best to use a barrier method until 7 days after insertion because that's when it's sure to be working?
Heather
Member # 3

Exactly.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

If Plan B was taken on the tuesday (day of) of the condom slip, would it have been more effective than her Implant (8 days after insertion)??

Im not sure of the effective rates of the two birth control methods but I was under the impression that the nexplanon is a lot more effective than Plan B!

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

I guess what Im trying to ask is, I read that the effectiveness of Plan B is 75%-88% and Nexplanon is 99.9%-99.9%, wouldnt that mean that the Plan B effectiveness rate would have been much lower than the nexplanon no matter the day taken, whether the day after the condom slip or a couple days after? Or does that mean the nexplanon wasn't up to 99.9% the 8th day after insertion?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm really not sure what you're asking for. You've already been told that your sister's implant would have been effective by the time of the condom slip. Whether or not she took Plan b isn't going to impact that effectiveness.

The body doesn't choose, after all, which form of birth control it'll make use of on a given day. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

SO sorry, I ddnt mean my question to be so difficult! I wanted to clarify if the Nexplanon would always be more effective than Plan B, because Heather said plan b effectiveness rates was much lower than the nexplanon because it was thursday (few day after the incident) but I thought the Nexplanon is ALWAYS more effective than Plan B, regardless of when one takes it?
gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

I'll word my question better haha, is the effectiveness rate of the nexplanon 7 days after insertion, so the day of the condom slip, 99.7%?
Heather
Member # 3

Yes. And you've got it right: Once the implant is fully effective, it's always more effective than Plan B.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

sorry which question is the yes for??
Heather
Member # 3

quote:
I'll word my question better haha, is the effectiveness rate of the nexplanon 7 days after insertion, so the day of the condom slip, 99.7%?
Yes. That is the full effectiveness rate for Nexplanon.

(Mind, at this point, it's too late for your sister to take Plan B anyway, so I'm not sure why we're still having this discussion?)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Thanks! Well she read around the site wanting to research as much as she could about the nexplanon effectiveness rates and how to properly use it and she got confused reading your reply, understanding that if she took it on the day the condom break happened, Plan B would be more effective than her implant!

Is she right to think that diarrhea and vomiting (things that decrease pill effectiveness) does not affect her implant? Her doctor didnt explain things very well unfortunately.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It sounds like it might be helpful for your sister to make her own account, so we can interact with her directly. [Smile]

Plan B is most effective when taken right away *only* for people who don't have another form of contraception on board.

There's really nothing your sister can do to mess up using her implant. That's why the typical and perfect effectiveness use rates are so close; there's just not much, if any, room for user error. In fact, the only user error would be not getting the implant replaced on time.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

gotquestionspls
Neophyte
Member # 106787

Yeah I think that would be soo much better and kinda easier on me too haha! I'll let her know and to tell her that she should mention she's my sister so she doesnt have to start from scratch when it comes to this topic [Smile]

It does thanks!!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

she doesn't have to mention she's your sister if she doesn't want to. We do encourage people here to be anonymous so they can talk about whatever they want to. So, it's up to her. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.