Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Condom use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom use
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one used a condom for all genital contact, used "enough" lube, the condom did not break and was removed while the penis was still erect, is that what is regarded as "perfect use"? Generally when all of that happens, does one need to be concerned about teeny tiny holes in the condom or the ejaculate skipping out from the bottom?
Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether or not the condom breaks isn't part of perfect use, because "use" is about the things a user can control. Use is about how YOU and/or your partner store and use condoms.

If and when a condom breaks, it won't really matter at that point if a user used it perfectly or not. However, when used properly, condom breaks are incredibly rare: only about one in every 2,000 uses in most studies.

You can see what perfect use entails right here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual.

(And for future reference, in the user agreement we ask that before posting questions to the boards, users please search the main site for answers first. I'd really appreciate it if you could get in the habit of doing that, okay? Thanks!)

There are no invisible "teeny holes" in condoms.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure what the "perfect use effectiveness rates" entailed and thought I should ask!

So basically if the condom was used for all general contact, did not break or slip off, then the risk for pregnancy is low (checked the pregnancy risk article) and the condom did its job at preventing pregnancy? I read on another topic that condoms don't leak ejaculate and there's no way for the ejaculate to get out unless the the condom breaks or slips off.

Thanks I surely will look around the main site next time [Smile]

[ 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: clairbaire123 ]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

"Were you or a partner using a reliable method of birth control perfectly for either that incident or, for methods like the pill or charting, for the whole of a cycle? If so, pregnancy is unlikely. If more than one method was used perfectly, it is WAY unlikely."

"Reliable methods of birth control were NOT used at all, or were not used properly in either or both of the above situations."

I got this from the pregnancy scared article (Searched the main site for answers first"

& Im asking for some clarification regarding ejaculate leaking out from the base of the condom. My idea of condom use was simple, use it for ALL contact, put some drops of lube, withdraw after ejaculation and hold on to the base while doing so. If the condom did not break or fall off, then basically nothing to worry about (I know condoms are only 98% effective in perfect use but yeah)

If all of that happened during intercourse, should one be concerned about ejaculate leaking from the base if one didnt check?? (I didnt think to check)

I switched from the pill to the nexplanon although on the day before switching, I vomited after taking the pill and my doctor said to be safe, wait 7 days (Im waiting two weeks & using condoms) so Im concerned about ejaculate leaking from the bottom.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condoms are designed to hold ejaculate in. That's what they do, just as any other container is designed to hold what it was intended to hold.

I'm hearing a lot of continual anxiety here about whether birth control is effective.

One thing that says to me is that you're really not wanting to get pregnant right now and you're worried about doing so. It also says to me that what might also help is taking a break from sexual activities that could lead to pregnancy, as that would be a 100% assurance of not getting pregnant and would also allay your fears. I can't imagine it's much fun to be feeling as anxious as you have been on such a regular basis.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

I appreciate your concern but I'm just trying to he safe and discern what is right from wrong regarding sexual healthcare and pregnancy prevention. In a society where google is so easy to access, there are bound to be people who say false information regarding condom use and birth control pills. My approaching scarleteen is me being proactive and protecting myself from an unwanted pregnancy. I think it's safer to ask a reliable source than trust forums and what not on google. I just became sexually active so I apologize if I'm trying to find out as much as I can about birth control.

So I'm hearing you tell me that ejaculate may not leak from the condoms since condoms contain ejaculate. Thank you.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.