Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Does this count? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does this count?
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pill packet says diarrhea and vomiting affect the pill. I dont remember what day it was but Im guessing it was this past wednesday, I had stool that were formed and just really easy to pass but some "flakes" came out too and were floating, maybe tiny little piece. I didnt think anything of it until today when I woke up and went to the bathroom and had the same thing happen, the stools were formed, soft and moist it looked like and there were flakes. Kinda like when I pushed, stool came out with one burst with little floaty pieces.

They were all formed, no runny liquidy stuff, although they looked soft and easy to pass, with flakes/little tiny piece breaking off and floating. So this happened on Wednesday and then Saturday morning. Is this diarrhea that would need to take the precautional steps on the packet?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't fit the definition of diarrhea...

Please take a look at this information from the World Health Organization:

http://www.who.int/topics/diarrhoea/en/

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the general guidelines for diarrhea? Like stool that isnt formed and is liquid and runny? When they say loose stool, do they mean stool that isnt formed?
Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're happy to direct people to sound sources for medical information, educating about bowel movements really is outside the scope of what we do here at Scarleteen.

With the number of questions you've had lately about your bowels, it sounds like it might be a good idea to make an appointment with a healthcare provider so they can educate you on what is something you can expect and what is something you should be concerned about.

Do you have a healthcare provider you can make an appointment with?

For more information about diarrhea, you could consult trusted sites asuh as NIH, NHS, The Mayo Clinic, and so on.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

This was the only question I think that I brought up bowel movements. & my question is regarding bowel movements concerning the pill. Its ok, my nurse told me that if its formed, it doesnt affect the pill at all.

Can you tell me more about nexplanon? Or direct me to someone who's used it before and feels comfortable sharing about their experiences on it?

[ 03-09-2013, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: clairbaire123 ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

My apologies. you're correct that this was your only question about bowel movements. I made a mistake.

I would still ask you to do some research with some credible medical sources, though, as the answers to whether something is diarrhea are the same whether one is concerned about pill effectiveness or not, and what diarrhea is is a medical question, not a sexual health question.

--------------------
Robin

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Its ok, I appreciate your apology, thank you!!

I spoke to another obgyn, different from the one I spoke to earlier nurse who told me that diarrhea would have to be like the stomach flu, she described it as completely liquid, as if nothing was staying in your system, hence the pill wouldnt have a chance to work. I described my situation as I did to you, and she said the same thing as you, that it doesnt fit the definition of diarrhea. She said soft stool wasn't diarrhea and that diarrhea tends to be when everything we consume just goes through our system so fast.

[ 03-09-2013, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: clairbaire123 ]

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi clairbaire. Glad you were able to get a second opinion on this! Hopefully what that obgyn told you helped clarify for you [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Thanks so much [Smile]

Do you mind telling me more about nexplanon pls? If you have the time!

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge around nexplanon, and nobody else is around right now. But I'll leave a note for the other volunteers and someone will be able to get back to you about it early tomorrow [Smile]

You can also check your pill's manual or phone your doctor or the prescribing pharmacist for any other questions you may have!

[ 03-09-2013, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Thank you I'd truly appreciate it! I think it's more commonly referred to as the implant! Thanks for your help [Smile]
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

In the meantime, have you seen our article about the implant in general? It may give you some of the info you're looking for:
the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon)

Most methods also have official websites with FAQ, so that may provide some more info for you [Smile]
http://www.nexplanon-usa.com/en/consumer/index.asp

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

With implant, how effective is it? I mean I read the effectiveness rates but compared to other birth control methods, how effective is it, in real life not clinical trials lol
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the page on it we've given you says, in perfect use, the implant has the same typical use rates as perfect use rates, over 99%.

And that's not surprising, since it's a long-term method a user can't mess up, as there's nothing you need to do with it at all.

[ 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

My OBGYN said that its the most effective birth control method out there aside from sterilization, is that true? She also said that with it, irregular bleeding and lack of a period is common so Im wondering just how likely it is for this method to fail.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implants and IUDs absolutely are the most effective methods there are save sterilization. That's correct.

And having just told you the effectiveness rates again, I feel confused about what you're still looking for when you're asking again how likely it is to fail?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Oh sorry, I realized that that question was a bit repetitive!

Can you tell me more about the insertion of the implant pls? Also does having the implant limit the mobility of the arm it is in in any way?

Heather
Member # 3

Sure.

Having an implant doesn't limit or change the mobility or use of your hands or arms in any way. It's sub-dermal, meaning it's just under the skin, not inserted into the muscle or any other part of that anatomy that would change how you use it.

This is a good video that walks you through insertion, if you want more details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir2MHzq9RYA

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Thanks so much!

The only way it fails is if it breaks?

Heather
Member # 3

Not being inserted properly is actually the only way it's likely to fail. It's not at all likely to break in the arm.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Oh ok, although the medical provider who inserts it would check that its properly placed before I leave so basically once I finish with the insertion, its all good for 3 years?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Does one abstain from sex for seven days before and after insertion? My obgyn didnt specify, she didnt really tell me much about it honestly [Frown]
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

I was just able to watch the video. Omg. Slightly freaking out, do you know if it hurts a lot?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you do not have to abstain from sex. You will just want to be aware that the implant does not become effective immediately, so you will want to use a back-up method of birth control for at least the first two weeks, before relying on the implant alone.

The insertion should not hurt too much: a local anesthetic will be applied before insertion. However, that's a question you'd best ask your doctor: she has done this before lots of time and she can tell you exactly what the procedure will look like and what to expect.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Ok thank you I have an appt with my doctor later tot all about it. I just have another question, earlier in the cycle I accidentally doubled up one day and so I just finished my active pack by taking an extra pill from a new pack to make up for the missing one. My doctor said to start my next pack when I would, because my appt for the insertion is next week Tuesday, second day of my new pack. Does the doubling up and kind of "extending" my active pills this pack by a day pose any possible interaction with my inserting the implant next week? I'm kind of scared to ask my doctor because she said I didn't need to make up the missing pill at the end of the cycle but I wanted to follow heathers advice and take an active pill for everyday of the active cycle.
Heather
Member # 3

This isn't something you have to worry about at all with an implant insertion, no.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Is the implant visible under the skin?
Heather
Member # 3

Nope.

Have you yet had a consultation with your healthcare provider about the implant? I ask because you're asking a lot of the questions we have asked when we are doing a birth control method consult with someone in a clinic or practice.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Honestly, Im not sure if I did. It was a phone appointment and my doctor was more concerned with finding out when the individual who does the insertions is available and whether they had any of the implant in. I mean, she answered the basic questions but said she'd call me back when she found out when I can do the insertion and when she did, she just schedule the appointment, not really taking the time to talk it over with me.
Heather
Member # 3

That's a pity. [Frown]

However, you can still ask ALL these questions the day you go in for an insertion, or a maybe-insertion, if you're still on the fence. It's not like it isn't okay to change your mind then, after all.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

I know, it left me slightly flustered and irritated. Do you know of anyone who personally uses the implant by any chance? I was hoping to ask about their personal experience and side effects!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, someone's personal experience really isn't going to tell you what you will experience since each person's body reacts differently to medication of any sort.

I would definitely encourage you to make sure you get to ask as many questions as you need to when it comes time for your appointment. When you get to the appointment, you can make clear you have questions you'd like to discuss with the healthcare provider before they do the insertion.

All that said, one of our volunteers has written about her contraceptive implant experience. You can find what she's written right here:

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/karyn/2013/02/06/implanon_part_3_the_upgrade

--------------------
Robin

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Is the risk for blood clots lower for the nexplanon that it is for bc pills? because it doesnt contain estrogen?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.