Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » So...is this even possible?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So...is this even possible?
Kandice
Neophyte
Member # 53088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kandice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I have had multiple people tell me a period is possible during pregnancy. While I understand this & have read through the articles (was unsure of the amount of blood would cancel out pregnancy)

Is it possible to have a full blown period if you're pregnant? The amount of blood I have had in my periods is 2+ super tampons a day. It's a lot of blood. Not super light like implantation bleeding or anything.

Reason I ask is because I had used a condom beginning & end of January. However, there were two breaking/slipping incidents that happened. BOTH incidents, he never came. It was strictly during and w/ possible pre-cum (had peed prior)

So this has led me to worry a bit. I have had two periods since then that were normal, heavy to light, then back to heavy again (my normal cycle)
So is there a risk for me? Only think I have noticed lately is my stomach feels bloaty & I have had a lot of headaches. But other than that, my cycle has been heavy as usual. Can you bleed heavily during pregnancy? Or am I safe?

Posts: 14 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kandice,

No, it's not possible to have a period during pregnancy, as a period is what we call the bleeding that's part of a menstrual cycle, and the menstrual cycle stops when pregnancy begins.

Some people do experience bleeding during pregnancy, but the bleeding is for other reasons.

Yes, you're right; If there was the amount of bleeding that there is during a period during pregnancy that wouldn't make a pregnancy possible. A period completely sheds the uterine lining, and the uterine lining is what is needed during pregnancy.

Plus, someone experiencing bleeding during pregnancy is unlikely to experience it at the same time and for the same duration as they experience their periods; again, because the menstrual cycle has stopped.

So, having two periods since the sexual activity you're concerned about is really a great sign that you're not pregnant, but the only way to really know, rather than analyzing the amount of blood that comes out with your period, is to take a pregnancy test. [Smile]

So, if you're still feeling worried about this, that would be your next step.

Would you like to also talk about birth control methods you can use in addition to condoms? Using two methods reduces risk further, and acts as insurance should one method be compromised, such as with a condom breaking.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.