Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Late for period, negative pregnancy test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late for period, negative pregnancy test?
Dazy Q
Neophyte
Member # 105406

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Dazy Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been irregular, with a cycle going from either 25 days to 34. The last few have been on the 28th day, even though the last one was induced by sex. It's been 33 days since then and I've had all my usual PMS symptoms plus occasional light cramps. I have no pregnancy symptoms. On the weekend of the blizzard, I was snowed in with my boyfriend who was visiting from Cleveland (where he lives) and we had sex four times, and two of them were the day before getting my period and then one was the one that caused the period to come. The next was during the period in the shower. We used a condom all four times and neither of them broke.

Right now I have barely any discharge. Just occasional drops of water? coming out of my vagina. I still haven't gotten my period and it is really frustrating. I took a First Response test and it came out negative, but I still don't have any idea what to do.

I have several theories of why it could be delayed, but they could just be things I made up in my head, so I need confirmation from you guys as well:
1. I had a cold the week after my last period, which may have delayed my cycle.
2. Since my period was induced by sex, it may have messed up the cycle.
3. I went to Puerto Rico for spring break, aka went to a warm place after being in the cold for so long.
4. During that week I went from eating my usual 1200-1500 calories to eating almost 2500 every day. I had just lost about 10 lbs before that and came back on Monday 5 lbs heavier (water weight I assume)and am now slowly going back to how i was before.
5. I'm stressed about 15 hour trip I'm taking in two weeks, the two tests and essays I have next week, and more importantly about not getting my period.

I have never missed a period. If I don't get it in the next two days, what should I do? I already took the pregnancy test and it came out negative...

[ 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Dazy Q ]

Posts: 5 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't sound to me like it's sound to thin k your period IS late, since you're still not even a day or two past the latest your periods will sometimes arrive.

You haven't missed a period yet, and it's not even late yet, on the whole. So, I'd simply wait this out, particularly since you're experiencing the PMS symptoms you typically do, so it sounds like it's on the way.

(Sex can't actually induce periods, just for the record. If a period is going to come around anyway, orgasm -- pretty specifically -- can make flow happen a little faster, but that's about it. When you get a period is about hormonal changes that occur for weeks at a time before a period.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dazy Q
Neophyte
Member # 105406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazy Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's been a while since my period took more than 32 days to come. The last and only time it took 35 days was in June.
Posts: 5 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still give it a few more days before you concern yourself with it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dazy Q
Neophyte
Member # 105406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazy Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, when I took the hpt, I think I held it upwards (I put the pee in a cup) but it's been an hour since then and it has been downwards and it's still negative. Does that affect it?
Heather
Member # 3

All HPTs are not the same: if it didn't say that it mattered how you held the test in the instructions, you can be sure it doesn't matter. If it DID say it matters, that's likely because it does.

However, most, if not all, HPTs will make clear the time window in which a result is correct, and I don't know of any where they take an hour, and know of many which advise you don't even look at it after an hour because the result on it can change and be incorrect. In other words, whatever the result was within the time window the instructions said it required to show your result? That's the result your test had.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dazy Q
Neophyte
Member # 105406

Well should I wait till Friday and take another test?
Heather
Member # 3

Personally, I'd probably wait through the weekend, particularly since if a condom was used properly for all genital contact, pregnancy is not at all likely here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dazy Q
Neophyte
Member # 105406

Well I just had diarrhea and I've heard that's an early symptom of pregnancy so I'm freaking out again.

I'm going to Planned Parenthood on Friday to get tested.

Heather
Member # 3

This might help in the meantime: Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul.

it might also help to know that almost anything under the sun someone can experience physically is something they can also experience with pregnancy. So, getting tied up on possible symptoms, as that piece explains, usually is totally nonproductive.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.