Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Mixing Birth Control Pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mixing Birth Control Pills
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I have currently started taking the Pill after a year's break. I took Microgynon 30 on the first day of my period, however I lost the entire pack that evening and my GP put me on Gedarel 30 instead as Microgynon wasn't available.

On the 2nd day of my period I took my first dosage of Gedarel 30 (ie. my 2nd Birth Control pill in 2 days). Am I still fully protected from pregnancy straightaway as I took the pill albeit a different one starting the first day of my period or is it advisable to use a back up method ?
My GP has left on vacation and therefore is unavailable to answer this question.

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Switching pill brands isn't something associated with a decrease in effectiveness UNLESS a person missed any active pills -- or took a longer placebo pill break than the 7 days -- while switching.

If you were taking one brand properly, then switched to the next staying on time and schedule with your pill-taking, there shouldn't be any issues with effectiveness.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the reply.
Just to clarify, I took just one pill of Mircogynon 30 once and then switched to Gedarel 30 on the 2nd day, taking both at the same time on day 1 and day 2, ie I'm not a regular user of Microgynon 30.
Given this, as you mentioned there shouldn't be any reduced effectiveness, is that correct?

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Thank you very much once again. Its
is much appreciated.

Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to check back: this is your first pack you are on after a longer break from birth control? If so, you'll know that it takes about a month for the body to get used to the pill, so you'll want to be backing up with condoms throughout the entire first month, anyway.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Thank you for this. As it was my 4th day of the pill, we did use a condom and I don't believe it broke or tore in anyway and I took Levonelle just in case within 48 hours.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.