Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Missing withdrawal bleed and pregnancy test (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Missing withdrawal bleed and pregnancy test
anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anya008         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! [Smile]

My period on my break on bc comes on a Monday and I only spotted for a few days and I got a bit concerned so I took a pregnancy test the following Monday! It was 7 days later than the day my period comes. I followed the directions and it said 99% accurate from the day of a missed period. Sorry I just wanted to double check if that was the time I should have done it for the results to be accurate:( I thought I should come here first instead of reading different stuff on the internet that might not be true

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

sorry to add to my earlier question, does a womens vaginal discharge affect hpt's?? The night before I did the pregnancy test (did it in the morning) I had an orgasm, and so am wondering if vaginal discharge could have somehow affected results of the hpt???
Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, vaginal discharge does not affect pregnancy test results.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Got it! If I took an hpt 7 days after the start of a withdrawal bleed for peace of mind, is that more than enough time to ensure accuracy of results?? I keep hearing 14 days, 19 days, week after missed period so I figured Id give it a lot of time to be sure
anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

I know this might be such a silly silly question but somehow anxiety makes everything such a big deal and I thought I should just ask!!! If you drop an hpt while unwrapping the package and it drops on the tile floor with the tip cover on and everything, its still ok to use right?? theres nothing wrong with it or it won't affect it working or something right? I feel so silly for asking such silly questions, so sorry! But yeah to sum up my numerous questions including the one earlier, does dropping the test before its even used "break" it and mess up results and is 7 days after one usually gets their period a good enough time to test for dependable results!?

Thanks again!!! [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would stand to reason that if the test is still covered and shows no visible damage than it's probably fine. Whenever you have a concern about a particular test that has to do with the test itself, your best bet is to call the manufacturer of the test. They all have customer service lines and the number is provided on the test packaging.

Here's the lowdown on pregnancy testing:

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Thats what I thought too so I called them & they said that so long as the line in the control line appeared, the test worked!

I read the article earlier and so am going by this
"For any pregnancy test, whether it is done at home or at a health care provider’s office, you want to wait a minimum of 14 days from the time of your risk or until your period is late. "

[Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You got it... [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Thank you for your help!! The info I read will not only help me now but in the long run so thanks [Smile]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. [Smile]

That's definitely our hope, that people will be able to use what they learn here to help themselves in the future.

--------------------
Robin

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Hi [Smile] Just a quick question about pregnancy tests in general! I went online and came across this forum about positive results on hpts that are super faint and only visible when held up to the light and tilted this way and that. What the?! I took my test 8 days after my withdrawal bleed, sorry I said 7 but It was actually 8 days and I didnt think I needed to do all this fancy looking with a magnifying glass to read the results! It was flat on the counter with the bathroom lights brightly on and it clearly showed a negative result after 4 minutes. I didnt think I need to hold it up against the light or anything!

I was told that faint positive lines happen when testing too early and theres only a faint amount of HCG present in the urine so my question is, a positive result would be pretty obvious and hard to miss when testing after a missed period right? No fancy eyeglasses or tilting needed?! [Frown]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Home pregnancy tests are created to be just that, tests taken at home (or anywhere else really) by all diferent kinds of people. It wouldn't be reasonable for the manufacturers to require home users to do fancy, complicated things to read their own results.

Every test is different, so if you have questions about the specific test you took, your best bet really is to call the customer service number provided on the packaging and talk to them.

In terms of when a test's results can be considered accurate (I.E. how long after the sexual activity that could lead to pregnancy can a test be taken) check the testing article I linked you to above.

--------------------
Robin

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

What does I.E mean?

Basically though, when reading a pregnancy test result in genera (not a specific one), its pretty simple I thought, just look at it and there it is?, either a positive or negative result? No tilting or holding up to the light needed, well unless the test directions required that of course but mine didn't.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sorry about that: I.E. is short-form for that is. No, I don't know why it's I.E. but I think it might have something to do with the letters for a Latin phrase.

Yes, that is the idea with pregnancy tests, that they be simple to read. So if you're reading information that's saying that they're not, I'd recommend viewing that information as very suspect.

When reading information online, it's pretty important to look at where it comes from. I'm guessing that where you read this about the tilting and the lighting and the standing on your head (just joking) was on a user forum, not on a test manufacturer's Web site or educational Web site with sound credentials.

--------------------
Robin

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Oh! thank you for explaining it to me [Smile] Haha, I spent a good few minutes trying to think of words that could be used for the abbreviated form!

Haha thank you for the laugh ^_^ Yeah, it was on a user forum, crazy. I think I should stay away from those from now own, it seems very far fetched. I read the results two minutes after (recommended by the instructions) and then four minutes after and it was very clearly a negative.

So again, thank you so much for your help and your patience in helping me through this! & an extra thank you for the laughs and explanation about the short form for that is. I would have been trying to figure it out for a good while haha

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. Thank you for asking about something I said that you didn't understand. I always appreciate when people do that rather than thinking they "should" know the answer.

--------------------
Robin

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

You're very welcome!

I wanted to doublecheck with you on that sentence I quoted from the article, about results being accurate 14 days after the risk or after a missed period.

Does that mean if I had sex two days before my bleed came (it was light), I have to test again in two weeks? I took the hpt for peace of mind and it was a suggestion by my obgyn nurse when I told her of the light spotting vs. withdrawal bleed situation despite her telling me that it was normal on my pill to have a light bleed.

I took all my pills perfectly the pill pack of this light bleed and so was told my pill was as effective as it could be and if Im so concerned about it to take an hpt.

My understanding of the quoted sentence was that a test is accurate 14 days after a risk or after a missed period, whichever comes first and that to wait to test for pregnancy is due to the fact that pregnancy doesn't happen in a short amount of time, due to ovulation, implantation and so forth. Plus preventing ovulation is one of the things the BC pill does and ovulation during the placebo week is pretty rare if one takes the pills perfectly!

So just to better my understanding, was that statement a "whichever comes first" type of thing, its accurate whenever after a missed/light withdrawal bleed or 14 days after the risk?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's whichever comes first. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Thank you [Smile]

Sorry another question, this time to do with pills! My doctor told me diarrhea and vomiting could sometimes impact my pills. I thought that was a little vague in regards to the diarrhea so wanted to come here and ask if my situation is "severe" enough. Ive been trying a new tea and drinking more water, I havent been ingesting large amounts of the tea although Im drinking a lot more water than normal. Ever since I started, I noticed my stool is a lot softer than usual. Not falling apart, theyre still well formed although they just look softer and squishy I guess (sorry!!) and just easier to pass. I didnt drink a lot of water, hardly actually before this, so Im wondering if its just because Im drinking a lot more water.

Does this seem like "diarrhea" thats severe enough to impact my pills?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to me, but given your anxiety about pregnancy, if you're not backing up with condoms, then I'd say you probably should be moving forward from here, if for no other reason than your peace of mind, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

We do backup with condoms although we had a condom break on Friday [Frown] So in your opinion, this soft stool occurring doesn't affect my pills effectiveness so EC wouldnt do anything anyway since they do the same thing?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Softer stool isn't the same thing as diarrhea.

Here's some information on that for you: http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-diarrhea

Also, condoms rarely break when stored and used properly: for future reference, do you want to check in about using condoms correctly?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

We dont think we used enough lube, it felt somewhat dry! Although I would appreciate more tips, its better to know more than less when it comes to sex ed [Smile]

I understand now, thank you! Since it isnt diarrhea, it doesnt do anything at all to my pill! Now I'll know if it ever happens again! Thank you!

Heather
Member # 3

For sure, if it felt dry, you can *know* you weren't using enough lube. And that's likely why it broke.

For more on condoms use, have you seen this first?

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

(Love what you said about sex ed! So true!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Thank you! I read the article as well [Smile]

Just for my knowledge, what is loose stool? Stool thats falling apart? Do little formed blobs fall under that? Sorry haha that sounded a bit funny to me!

Heather
Member # 3

That's basically it: it's not that it's soft, it's that it's very liquid, mucous-y, or isn't really holding itself together into "formed blobs." It'll tend to look more like liquid or kind of one big pile of goo.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Ok, so basically if its not formed at all then its pretty much considered loose stool? Im just trying to clarify because there were times where I had stool that were soft squishy little pieces but never anything that was not "held together" and falling apart so that doesnt fall under diarrhea?
Heather
Member # 3

Doesn't sound like it, no. Sounds like healthy stool.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Oh gosh, I never stopped to think that it could actually be considered healthy stool as opposed to something bad, haha. Thank you [Smile]

I'll take all of the info I learned from this discussion and keep it mind next time I have any questions! That way I can try and think it through myself [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

You know, the other thing is that, just like with being constipated, having diarrhea is typically paired with feeling pretty yucky. So if you feel hunky-dory, chances are you don't have diarrhea.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Oh so what youre trying to say is you'd feel pretty sick if you have diarrhea? Like you know something is wrong?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep. You generally don't feel good because your guts are staging a revolt. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Haha, first thought that came to mind was little cartoon soldiers in a tummy holding pitchforks! Thanks for all of your help [Smile] I think I understand a lot better now!
Heather
Member # 3

I'd say that's not fairlyaccurate depiction of what any kind of gastrointestinal distress can feel like.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anya008
Activist
Member # 102306

Oh that was just a mental image that came to my mind! What do you mean?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.