Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Late/Missed Period (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Late/Missed Period
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually my period falls between the tues-thursday of my placebo week, never later than thursday morning although its now thursday morning and it doesnt look like theres any signs of my period coming. My period is now late and I last had sex on Tuesday, would the pregnancy test I take now be accurate considering my period is late? Although since I had sex on Tuesday, would I have to retake a test in two weeks for that event?
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A period is generally considered late when it's still not around several days after the LATEST you might expect it to show up.

A test might still be accurate, but it might make a lot more sense to wait, per the cost and just in general, until your period is actually late, especially since you use a reliable birth control method, so pregnancy isn't likely in the first place.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the latest >< it's NEVER arrived past Thursday morning. Then again, last cycle was the first time I ever missed a pill and that bleed was super super heavy.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, you don't need my permission to take a test, so if you want to take a test now, take a test now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

I might buy the two pack so I can take one now and then another one in a few days although if I take one today, it might not be accurate?
Heather
Member # 3

I really don't know what else to say about this. I suggested you wait a little while longer if accuracy is what you're most concerned about, and made clear that even if in the whole time you have had your period, it's been on a cycle same number of days every time, that "late" means a few days AFTER the latest it's expected.

But you seem to be saying you want to take a test now, which is totally up to you, fine, and like I said, could still likely be accurate.

So, once more, if you want to test now, that's up to you. If you want to buy a two-pack so you take one now and one later if need be, that's also an option.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Ok thank you. Is it normal to skip periods on for reasons other than pregnancy?
Heather
Member # 3

I don't see that you HAVE skipped a period, but yes: periods (or withdrawal bleeds) do skip sometimes or come at different times when people are not pregnant.

For more, you can take a look at this: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Oh ok I understand now! I'll wait for a few days, I start my active pills this coming Monday, should I test on Sunday or monday morning? Which day do you suggest testing?
Heather
Member # 3

Either of those days should be fine, since either way, it'll be at least a few days later than the latest time you expected a period.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

When I went to the bathroom earlier, there was blood in the toilet when I used the bathroom and on the tissue when I wiped. Now, its when I wipe. Its usually like this when I first start off on my period then gets heavier! My question is, if it doesnt get heavier do I chalk this up to being my period and just being lighter?
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A withdrawal bleed is often lighter than a period. If it lasts a few days I think it's safe to assume that it's your bleed, although you could still test for peace of mind.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Eek, its sooo much lighter than Im used to. My last withdrawal bleed was extremely heavy, more tissue than anything else so Im wondering if thats why this bleed is so lighter. Im only lightly bleeding on my pad and theres hardly any blood in the urine when I use the bathroom although when I first woke up there was this huge glob of dark red tissue. Now its only light brown discharge when I wipe and light cramps. Could this just be an abnormally light bleed? ><"
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like periods, withdrawal bleeds can vary a lot, for a whole bunch of different reasons, so even if you haven't had a bleed this light before doesn't mean it can't happen. As Kat said, give it a couple of days and see what happens - you can always still take a test for your peace of mind.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

I spoke to a nurse and she said withdrawal bleeds tend to be very light especially on low dose pills and some people don't even have bleeds after a while. I told her I took a pregnancy test Thursday morning, the morning my bleeds tend to start and it was negative. She said I can count on those results. Should I retest?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that you're using a reliable method of birth control, and it sounds like you are having a withdrawal bleed, I wouldn't say retesting is necessary. But, if it helps you feel better, then by all means, go ahead and retest.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Oh ok, does that mean I can count on the results of the test taken on Thursday?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I would say so, yes.

--------------------

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Thank you so much for your help!!
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Sorry just a quick question, I know drinking lots of fluid can influence a hpt, I drank half of a 500 ml bottled water, the regular size bottle of water, that's not excessive enough to affect the result right?><
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Drinking fluids as you normally would isn't a problem - if you'd had 3 litres of water and then taken the test, that may have been an issue, but half a bottle of water? No problem.

--------------------

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Got it [Smile] if in case I do decide to take another hpt, can I take one Saturday morning? Heather advised me to wait a couple days after Thursday for better accuracy, is Saturday good for taking another one?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I would personally wait a little bit longer, until early next week sometime.

--------------------

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Oh I see ok! I'll wait it out and see how this bleed continues, if this isn't my withdrawal bleed why could it be? I read about implantation bleeding but I was under the impression that it's very rare. That's why in prone to believe that this is just a lighter than normal withdrawal bleed for me, if it continues for more than two or so days can I be sure that it's my bleed?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi stayclassy! There are several possibilities as to what this bleeding may be, and no way for us to really know which one it is. But I think you're right, it's very likely that this is just a light withdrawal bleed for you. As Karyn already said, it's common for withdrawal bleeds to vary [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Thank you [Smile] I've been lightly spotting for three days now although on the first day, there was a fair amount of bright red blood when I first used the bathroom followed by light brown discharge when I wiped the rest of the day with random spotting. The second day, there was this huge gob of dark red stuff, wasnt sure what t was and then tiny stringy brown stuff in brown discharge when I wipe. Today it's just light brown discharge. Does this sound like a normal light withdrawal bleed? I tested on Thursday, the morning I usually get my bleeds and it was negative although I might test again if this doesn't sound like a withdrawal bleed.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gobs and lumpy or stringy bits in a period or withdrawal bleed is pretty typical, as it's the lining of the uterus being shed. In terms of whether that sounds like a normal bleed? Everyone's withdrawal bleeds are different. I mean, there's only so much I can say. If there is blood, enough blood to require a pad, and it lasts several days, then that pretty much fits the bill for a withdrawal bleed.

I think you really need to just wait this one out and you can decide for yourself whether you're comfortable with considering this a bleed or whether you want to test again just to make sure.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Can I count on the accuracy of the results if I test tomorrow morning? My bleeds usually start on Thursday
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

As Heather mentioned, it's best to take the test at least several days after the latest expected date of your period. So, like Karyn already said, if I were you I'd wait a few more days to ensure the accuracy of the test. That will also give you time to get a better idea of whether this is going to be a bleed the same heaviness as your usual flow or not.
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

She mentioned that either Sunday or Monday is ok?
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Should I still start my active pills on Monday then regardless if I test or not.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you should absolutely start your active pills when you normally would. One of the most important things in ensuring maximum effectiveness of birth control pills is to start the new pack on time.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Could you help me please and clarify when best to test? I asked heather if Sunday or Monday morning is ok and she said either should be fine. I asked karybu if Saturday would be good and she said to do it early this coming week. Is it just a difference of opinion on when would be the most accurate? I thought Sunday is a few days after the latest I expect my period.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, you need to make your own decision based on the information we've given you. [Smile]

How long has it been since the risk you're concerned about?

Perhaps it would help to review the reproductive process to understand why it's necessary to wait after a risk or suspected risk before testing. If so, take a look at this.

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.