Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Couple of BC questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couple of BC questions
LittleFlowers
Activist
Member # 44455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleFlowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I need clarification on a couple of things. First of all, I have been on tri sprintec for about five months now and have never had a late/missed pill until this week. I missed Tuesdays pill and took it Wednesday six hours after I normally take my Wednesday pill, so I took them both at the same time. I had sex without a condom last night, using withdrawal. My first question is, am I at a high or substantial risk for pregnancy and do I need to take an emergency pill? This was the first time i have had sex in the month Secondly, I was the the GYN last week and I had to go on flucananzole for a yeast infection. She told me point blank that it would not affect birth controls effectiveness. However, your site has it listed as a medication that affects birth control. I am receiving conflicting info and am worried that my BC didn't work at all for the sex I had last night!

--------------------
<3 littleflowers

Posts: 101 | From: United States | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI LittleFlowers,

Well, you did use a secondary birth control method--withdrawal. If you and your partner used it effectively--that is, he withdrew well before ejaculation--then you can consider that you did use a back-up method and you don't have a substantially higher risk of pregnancy.

Generally, one missed pill isn't known to substantially lower the contraceptive effectiveness.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the conflicting information you've received. We know that some medications can interact with birth control, though we don't always know how they interact, so our suggestions to use a back-up method (which again, you did) are sometimes more precautionary than anything.

Pharmacists usually have the most up-to-date information on drug interactions. You could give one a call and ask for a third opinion. [Smile]

Here's some more information about withdrawal so you can evaluate for yourself if you used it effectively:

http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_withdrawal

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.