Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Missed pill confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed pill confusion
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get my pills from PP and upon picking up my pills, the nurse asked me if everything was ok with my pills and so I told we about missing a pill last cycle and making it up several days later. I don't think she understood what I was saying and so doublechecked with her that once I start my new pill pack my effectiveness is back up and a back up method wasnt needed. She was confusing me saying that it takes seven days of taking the pill consecutively to prevent ovulation and I should back up for a week. I told her that when I made up the pill, that there was ten pills left in my pack although I wasn't sure when I missed the pill, I know that when I made it up, there was ten pills left. Then she said I was fine as long as I've been taking it consecutively.
I wanted to come here and ask about the whole 7 days issue and backing up she brought up? Is she talking about the new cycle or the cycle where the pill was missed. another nurse told me that as long as I made up the pill in the cycle that it was missed, imagine and a backup isn't needed the new pill pack. What this nurse said was similar to what I was told her. Am I misunderstanding what the PP nurse said? Did she mean backup for a week during that cycle of the missed pill and not this new pill pack cycle?

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops I meant I was fine and not imagine and here not her! Sorry ><
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't possibly know what that nurse meant: I don't have any more ways of knowing that than you do.

But, in this situation, we'd advise using a backup method when a pill is missed for at least a week. If the next pack is started on time, we'd not see a need to backup per the pill having any less effectiveness in that cycle.

However, we generally advise dual contraception for anyone who strongly wants to prevent pregnancy AND for peace of mind: that's two methods, not one, so, for instance, the pill and condoms. And of course, backing up with condoms also always gives those doing so protection against infections which no other method can offer.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

I backed up for the remaining of that cycle and since there were ten pills after I made up my pill, that would have been more than a week! My placebo period wasnt longer than seven days and so from my understanding, a backup isn't needed (though recommended for peace of mind and STI protection) seeing as how the pill is back up to full effectiveness. I understood that although the differing and confusing info from the PP nurse worried me seeing as how I had a conform break a few days ago. I did not take plan B because I started my new pill pack on time and believe that my effectiveness isn't compromised by the mishap last cycle
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Oops sorry, condom not conform haha ><
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Sorry could you explain to me please what the word per means? Related to "per the pill having any less effectiveness" I tried to look it up but I don't understand that part of the sentence [Frown]
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

It just means "regarding the pill..." or "concerning the pill...."

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

So it's basically saying that you don't see a need for backup regarding the pill not having any less effectiveness? I'm sorry, I just don't understand the wording of the sentence.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's saying that when a new pack is started on time, and is taken properly, it has as much effectiveness as it's going to have, and backing up isn't necessary because of whatever happened in the previous cycle. Of course, you always have the choice to use a second method of birth control. Many people, regardless of how consistently they might take their pill, feel more comfortable doing so.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me and talking me through all of my other concerns. I really do appreciate your patience. I understand!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.