Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Spotting and Cramps ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spotting and Cramps ?
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 11 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period is due in a little under 2 weeks. I've been on birth control ( I'm a Sunday start) for 2 weeks, and had sex with my boyfriend 1/5/12. The condom broke and he came inside so that night I Double dosed On my ortho tricylen lo ( I was panicking) . The next morning I got a plan B (about 14 hours after the incident) , and did not take my regular bc as I'd taken my Sunday dose a few hours after my regularly scheduled one( so one pill at 11 and the next about 2am). \I've been spotting all day and I'm trying to figure out whether its from me missing one pill or the plan b , and either way should I be really concerned? [Frown]

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI LittleMissO,

It could very well be from both. You got a pretty high dose of hormones in a pretty short period of time. Spotting is also known to be one of the side effects of Plan B.

You may find that you experience spotting at various times over the next few months.

For future reference, if you take your pill consistently, every day, at around the same time of day, taking Plan B is not going to decrease your likelihood of getting pregnant, as it works in the same way as the daily dose works, by preventing ovulation, thickening cervical mucus, and thinning uterine lining.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I feel a bit silly- but at least I learned something. Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not silly at all!

It sounds like you were really scared. Do you feel like you have enough information about how your pill works to prevent pregnancy to help you feel confident with it? If not, we have some articles that can help you out with that.

I also want to check in with you, since the condom did break, are you and your partner both up-to-date on your STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look into the articles a bit more [Smile] he was my first partner and he was tested months before we did anything so I think i should be fine. I'm going to the doctor soon so I may just check on that too.

--------------------
Miss O

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.