Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnant? Plan b?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant? Plan b?
luciak
Neophyte
Member # 101408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luciak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Last night me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex. I am on he pill, Yaz and have been for the past year. But, had missed one pill 2 weeks before we had sex. I just got off my white pills and began my new pack this last Sunday two days before we had sex without a condom. He did pull out but I'm not sure if it would be a good option to go get plan b? Or if I'm safe?..

Thank you so much. Lucia

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lucia,

Missing one pill only impacts its effectiveness slightly (it is impossible to know exactly how much). As a reference, with typical use the pill is 92% effective (perfect use is 99.7%). When combined with withdrawal you're looking at 99.98% effectiveness with perfect use and 97.84% effectiveness with typical use.

However if you want to be on the safe side you should go ahead and take Plan B.

You can read more about how the pill works here:
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)
Birth Control Bingo: The Combination Pill

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luciak
Neophyte
Member # 101408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luciak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Thank you. At this point im not sure if im able to afford plan b. But im curious if it makes any difference that i was on my period? Ive heard that there is a lot smaller chance of becoming pregnant while on youre period. Is this true?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you're using hormonal methods of birth control, information about and for people NOT using those methods -- whose fertility and menstrual cycles -- isn't relevant to you.

When using the pill, there's no difference from week or week or day to day per when you're more or less likely to become pregnant. Missing pills or taking them late can, and usually does, decrease the pill's effectiveness, but it doesn't matter when that happens.

Did you make up the pill that you missed? If so, chances are good that actually didn't decrease your effectiveness, but, as Marion explained, even if it did, we're probably only talking about a minor change.

But maybe, moving forward, you and your boyfriend can talk about using condoms as a backup instead of withdrawal? Condoms are more effective, plus they give you both infection protection no other method does, even from non-STIs, like bacterial infections and UTIs.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luciak
Neophyte
Member # 101408

Ok,

Thank you so much. Honestly this is the first time we have not used a condom and I am bit jittery. I did make up the pill I missed the second I realized that I had missed it (which was the next morning).
Thank you for relieving some of my stress.

Lucia

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you made up that pill, and did so fast, it's actually most likely your pill's effectiveness was the same as it always is.

(Especially when we bear in mind that over the course of a year, which is what pill effectiveness rates are listed and studied as, the vast majority of people are going to have the typical use rate vs. a "perfect" rate. Not missing or taking late ANY pills in one whole year is highly unusual.)

[ 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luciak
Neophyte
Member # 101408

Well, here I am again. This morning 3 days after no bleeding from my period I noticed a little blood, almost like period blood. I am all the sudden very concerned this could be implantation bleeding?

Although, last night we did have protected sex with a condom and he did pull out, could it be from that?

Im really concerned as to what it could be? Any ideas? Thank you again..

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are expecting your period, then what this could be is just that -- your period. For info on implantation bleeding, please check out this post:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/023303.html

I also really suggest reading this article, because it sounds like a lot of your questions can be answered by understanding the info in it:
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

Let us know if you still have questions after reading those articles, or if you need any clarification of the information! [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luciak
Neophyte
Member # 101408

I am not anywhere near my period. I just ended my period 3 days ago. Which is when i had sex without a condom and he did pull out. This is why i am nervous it could be implantation bleeding since its about 3 days after. Although i am on birth control and have been taking it correctly all minus one day 2 weeks before I had sex, which i made up.

But then there was last night. We had sex with a condom but we tried a new position that made him a lot deeper than usual. Im wondering if that could cause the bleeding this morning and if it could be how long would it last?

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry, I misunderstood -- I thought you meant you had been expecting your period for three days but that it hadn't come yet.

So, you already know from the links Robin and Marion provided, as well as the discussion they've been having with you so far, that you really have no reason to believe you had a pregnancy risk with the first situation you described -- your pill should still be effective [Smile]

In the "where DID I come from" article (as well as a couple of the others!) it's explained that conception doesn't happen right away, and thus implantation can't happen right away. It takes about 7-10 days after an incident for conception to happen, so getting implantation 3 days after sex is really highly unlikely. If you need more info about when/how conception happens and when/how/why implantation bleeding might happen, the "where DID I come from" article and the board post on implantation bleeding goes into it more in-depth.

It is possible that the bleeding is from a small abrasion from the sex you had, but there's no real way for any of us here to know, unfortunately. There are various possibilities for spotting like that, so we can't be sure. If it keeps up for more than a few days, it'd be your best bet to call your doctor or go to a clinic and they'd be able to tell you for sure what's up.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.