Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Brown Spotting in Discharge? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Brown Spotting in Discharge?
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to the bathroom and wiped, and I noticed some brown spotting in my discharge. My period was about two weeks ago, and I'm not expecting my next one for two more weeks. Is this normal?
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi pocketmouse,

Spotting between periods is normal especially if you're on hormonal birth control. I wouldn't be concerned unless you're experiencing pain/discomfort and/or unusual odors in the area.

You can read more about what constitutes healthy discharge here: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

Cheers,

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it wasn't exactly spotting, per se. There was clear-ish discharge when I wiped, and in the middle of the clear-ish discharge, there was a spot of brown discoloration. Is this still technically period spotting?

Also, I'm experiencing a few random bouts of nausea. I haven't had vaginal sex with my boyfriend, but we did get handsy and fool around a lot about a week ago, so it's possible some pre-ejaculate may have touched his hands and then touched me. Is my nausea just random, or is it linked to this incident?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How would the nausea be linked to that?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I'm not sure! I was wondering if you knew a possible link.

Also, one day, my boyfriend and I were fooling around, and the next day there were a couple of dots of blood when I wiped. We didn't have sex, just dry sex with clothes. Is this blood just because of roughness?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's certainly the most likely explanation.

If you're concerned about this random spotting and think there might be something wrong, speaking to a healthcare provider is your best bet.

That said, it can help to remember that our genitals are just as much part of our body as everything else, so irritations, minor cuts, and periodic minor bleeding are all things that can happen from time to time, albeit perhaps less often than on, say, our hands, which experience a much wider variety of things.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Ok thanks!

Also, just to confirm, pregnancy cannot occur if dry pre-ejaculate touched my vagina, right?

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

The reason why I ask that is because I feel as though I may be experiencing some pregnancy symptoms.

1) I have a LOT of excess discharge, which I have read is a sign of the mucous plug that forms when pregnancy occurs.

2) I have a lot of lower abdominal cramps that have been going on all day, but my period is not due for another week and a half.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Pregnancy symptoms can only be pregnancy symptoms if there's a risk of pregnancy, and sometimes not even then.

Both things you're describing could result from anything from menstrual cycle variations or infection (discharge) to digestive issues (cramps).

So, if you're in a lot of discomfort from these cramps, or are concerned about the amount of discharge, consulting your healthcare provider would be a good next step.

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Well, I did have two consecutive UTIs about a month ago. But after I finished the medication for my last UTI, I really made an effort to drink more fluids. I have also been trying to have a glass of half-water-half-cranberry-juice nearly everyday. Shouldn't that have been enough to prevent a UTI from coming back yet again?

Is there any way I can tell, based off of the discharge, what possible infection I might have?

Also, I know that technically manual sex doesn't present a pregnancy risk, and that even if there's pre-ejaculate that enters the vagina via a partner's hand, it's highly unlikely a pregnancy will occur. But, hypothetically, if that did make me pregnant, would I be feeling these symptoms as early as a week or two after the incident?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hold on....I didn't say you had an infection, only that infections are one of many possible explanations for extra discharge. [Smile] Discharge from an infection is usually yucky-smelling and can have an unusual colour, texture, or both.

Have you seen this article from our site yet? It might help answer your questions.

Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Oh my bad! I kinda just jumped to conclusions. My mistake!

I have seen that article before, but I still feel uncertain. Am I just overreacting? Is it possible to get period symptoms as early as two weeks before the next period?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

When it comes to the menstrual cycle, anything is possible.

Did the article answer your question about whether pregnancy symptoms are possible this early? If not, know that they really aren't.

Are you still having cramps? How long have they been going on? ON a scale of 1-10, with 1 being not at all and 10 being horrible, how much pain are they causing you?

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I've only been feeling them today. I would rate them at a 6.
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Also, I know that technically there's no logical possibility that I'm pregnant, but I still feel paranoid that I could be.

How can I deal with this paranoia? Any tips?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Have you experienced paranoia in the past? If so, what helped with it?

I might also suggest seeking counselling if you feel like this paranoia is sticking in spite of all the factual information. That often requires the help and strategies of a professional who can help someone organize their thinking.

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I have, but I haven't really learned how to deal with it yet.

I also just wanted to double check that my information is correct. Pregnancy is highly unlikely if there's only a drop or two of pre-ejaculate that touches/enters the vagina from a person's hand, correct?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If you're feeling unsure about the information we've already discussed, how about taking a read through these articles.

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

Pregnancy Scared?

It seems to me, given that you already know the facts, that factual information isn't helping much with the paranoid thoughts and feelings. I mentioned above getting some professional support with this. Have you ever seen a counsellor or discussed this with a doctor?

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I guess the reason that I get paranoid is because I feel like I'll be that one random "special case" that somehow manages to get pregnant from the situations I describe.

How do I manage that?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think there IS that "special case?" Where are you getting the idea from that that -- a pregnancy that miraculously happens from something that can't cause pregnancy -- exists?

I ask because I've been working in and around this area the whole time, and I don't know what that is. Ultimately, I feel like you're talking about leprachauns, if you get me. [Smile]

How do you discuss this with a doctor? You can start by talking to your general physician if you have one, just letting them know that you have strong, persistent fears about pregnancy despite not engaging in the kind of sex that can cause pregnancy, and that intensive and accurate information about all of this hasn't helped you feel better.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I'm not sure why there's a special case! I've just heard a lot of stories (mostly from the internet) about women who end up pregnant, even though they did not engage in unprotected vaginal intercourse, usually from instances similar to the ones I've had (pre-ejaculate, fingering with pre-ejaculate, etc.).

When I first expressed my concerns to my doctor, she asked me "was there any penetration or ejaculation?" At the time, there had been no penetration of any kind (as of now, I still have not been penetrated by a penis, but I have been penetrated by my partner's finger) or ejaculation, so she explained that there was no cause for concern. However, what makes me nervous is that now there has been penetration (with a finger).

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure she meant with a penis.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Well, I also have slightly tender breasts. Isn't that a possible symptom?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

So, you've heard from the Internet that people can get pregnant even though there was no sexual activity that can lead to pregnancy. Do you consider the sources where you read this to be reliable? as Heather said, she's been working in this area a long time and has never heard of or seen this happen. I've been doing this work for less time than Heather, but in my own work, and in my networking with other professionals, I've never heard of this happening.

Tender breasts can be a "symptom" of hormone fluctuations with different causes at their root.

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I don't know if I consider those sources to be reliable, but I also am not sure if those people are lying or not. It's tough to tell :/

Sometimes I feel like they could be right because I feel symptoms similar to theirs. For instance, right now I feel like I have to pee, even though I haven't had anything to drink yet today, and my period is meant to come today but I don't think it will. Couldn't it be possible that that means I'm pregnant?

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being pregnant doesn't create urine all by itself. Pregnant people have to urinate for the same reasons anyone else has to urinate (because they have urine in their bladders from fluids from eating and drinking), it can just feel more urgent when you have a fetus pressing against your bladder.

And if you had that, you'd also have a positive pregnancy test.

Alternately, people who constantly feel like they have to urinate but can't or aren't increasing their fluids often have some kind of urinary tract infection. Since you've had issues with that, and also clearly are having trouble letting this fear of a possible pregnancy go, how about visiting a healthcare provider where they can look into all of this for you?

I really need you to go ahead and take a look at this post in terms of our limits with this, okay, pocket_mouse?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007275.html

Thanks. [Smile]

[ 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi pocket_mouse. The problem with trying to match up your "symptoms" with those of people on the internet is firstly, since they're not doctors, they don't know what "symptoms" were actually caused by the pregnancy. Do you know what I mean? For example, if you have a cold, but your stomach hurts, they're not necessarily related -- you might have indigestion from eating something questionable. So people might list all the "symptoms" they have but there's no way of knowing which ones were actually caused by the same thing. Another problem is, as you said, you can't tell whether those people are telling the truth or not.

But the biggest thing to keep in mind is this: almost every symptom under the sun can be the symptom of more than one thing. Feeling like you need to pee? Could be a symptom of the beginnings of a UTI. Or, maybe, your body just hadn't quite filtered out everything you drank yesterday which is why you need to pee now even though you haven't drunk anything yet. There's really no way for anyone except a doctor to know the significance of a symptom, and even then, it's usually in the presence of more than one symptom, and also through tests, that doctors can figure out what the issue is.

If it was as simple as "This Symptom -> This Problem", then House wouldn't be a very interesting show, now, would it [Wink] So, as we always say: the ONLY reliable "symptom" of pregnancy is a missed period, and then a positive result on a pregnancy test.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I mean, I totally understand that. But the thing is, I'm meant to get my period today (or possibly tomorrow?) and it hasn't come yet. That makes me concerned.
Heather
Member # 3

Did you check out that link, pocket_mouse?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Yeah I looked at the human reproduction and pregnancy articles again just to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I think I read them through pretty carefully. [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Do you feel more confident in your knowledge?

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I guess it's not the facts themselves that I don't feel confident in. It's more of the fact that I made two huge mistakes: 1) I put myself into a situation where I feel crazy anxiety, and 2) I made my anxiety worse by looking up these "rare cases" of pregnancy on the internet.

I'm just worried that my period won't come and that either 1) it'll be totally normal that it didn't come but I'll freak out and panic even more, or 2) I'll actually be pregnant and I won't know what to do.

Any advice?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, you know what gets you in these tailspins, so it seems one big thing you need to do is keep that in mind and make different choices, like not trying to look up the Bigfoots of pregnancies. And maybe you need to look into some qualified help with managing your anxiety.

Really, you can't control when your period arrives right now, so worrying about that in advance is just another way to add stress. How about we just get there when we get there, and deal with that when it's that time?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I know, you're right. I know I should try my hardest not to worry so early in advance. I just can't seem to help myself. Every little thing feels like a symptom and then I can't sleep at night.
Heather
Member # 3

So, again, perhaps you need some qualified help in managing your anxiety. If it has gotten to the point where you cannot control it, and are not getting sleep, it has become a serious issue with health impacts.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.