Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » so, so scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: so, so scared
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Icon 9 posted      Profile for eznex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have 30 day cycles, and so I normally get my period around the 20th of every month, so I'm three days late today. I wasn't really worried before, but I got a couple dots of pinkish blood on my underwear. I thought that it was my period starting, but now, five hours later, there's nothing. I'm so scared, I don't want to be pregnant. My boyfriend and I we're engaging in manual sex, and I think he touched my fingers (which had precum on it) before fingering me. I read the "Pregnancy Scared" article as well as all the other articles on the first post in this topic, but I have no idea why else I would have had the bleeding. I read somewhere else that spotting could be an early sign of pregnancy, and there are lots of anecdotes about people getting pregnant from fingering. I'm just scared out of my wits right now. Please help me?
Posts: 15 | From: America | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI eznex,

Sometimes periods start with spotting. That is much, much more common than spotting being a pregnancy symptom. You've already read in those articles that pregnancy really isn't possible from the sexual activities you've engaged in, so it's pretty darn impossible to have a symptom of a pregnancy that couldn't have been created. [Smile]

Also, those anecdotes about pregnancy from fingering? Made up. IN most cases what's going on with those stories is that they're either completely fabricated or there was other sexual activity that the storyteller (for reasons known only to them) has decided to leave out of the story. Does that make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eznex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it does, thanks for replying so quickly. The problem I'm having is that it has been so long since the spotting and I still haven't had my period actually come. I also haven't had the usual "your period is starting" feelings from my body. I just have no idea why else I could be spotting [Frown]
Posts: 15 | From: America | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's disconcerting when your period has always come like clockwork, but three days later than usual really doesn't constitute a late period. That is, it's more within the realms of typical variation that a lot of people experience at least some of the time.

If you haven't seen this article about missing periods, you might find it helpful.

M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eznex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did take a pregnancy test, would the negative be accurate now? Or could it be negative because the first couple days after a missed period would not necessarily produce enough hgc for the test to indicate? As you can see, I've googled a bit too much [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Nodding...Pregnancy tests are considered accurate 14 or more days after a risk or when a period is missed, whichever comes first. So, you would measure from the last time you engaged in manual sex. In terms of pregnancy, if you haven't read our Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction
article I think you might find it helpful.

--------------------
Robin

eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Okay... But then how come a bunch of ttc stories are like "I got a positive test two weeks after my missed period"? Are those made up too?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, those stories would at least be missing some very relevant information if they weren't completely made up. If you're not getting those stories from reliable medical websites, I really suggest taking them with a BIG grain of salt, or better yet -- don't even bother reading them [Smile] There are lots of made-up stories out there on the internet, so if you find they're making you stress out more about this, it'd probably be best for your peace of mind to just avoid reading them. What do you think?

[ 12-23-2012, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Yeah I don't think I'm going to be reading those sites anymore. If I don't get my period within the week, do you think there's any cause for concern?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes our cycles are just irregular for a variety of possible reasons, and it isn't any cause for concern. But you can always talk to your doctor to check in if you want to make sure nothing's up with your body.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.