Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Am I pregnant or just really paranoid?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I pregnant or just really paranoid?
dazed90
Neophyte
Member # 96029

Icon 9 posted      Profile for dazed90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so every time I partake in sexual activity I always worry about getting pregnant a month later.

On November 1st and 2nd I had sex with my boyfriend (or at least tried, since it hurt too much and he never totally went in. We used a condom and were very careful). He never came or anything since we didn't get very far. This was about a week before I got my period, which came about 3 days earlier than usual that week. Now I'm supposed to have gotten my period today (today is day 28 of my cycle), and I'm really paranoid about being pregnant since I had some spotting on Thursday (day 25 I believe)and it was brown, and it came out with regular white discharge. I don't have any pregnancy symptoms or anything, just the stuff I usually get before my period (irritability and acne).

Also for the past two weeks up until around Wednesday, I was on a diet in which I was eating less than 1200 calories a day. I've read about how that can delay periods. I was also anxious to get home for the holidays (I came back on Friday) and I had finals last week as well. So I'm just thinking my period is delayed because of all of that..

but do you guys think I can be pregnant over all that? Or am I just being my usual paranoid nutcase?

Posts: 13 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

Stress and diet changes can definitely have an impact on one's menstrual cycle.

Do you write down the date of your period each month? I'm asking because not everyone's periods come every 28 days, so I was wondering if you were expecting it then because your periods usually do come every 28 days or because you think that is when it's supposed to come.

Of course, the only way for anyone to know if they're pregnant or not is to take a pregnancy test.

It sounds like sex is pretty stressful for you if you're always worried about pregnancy. Would you like to talk about that? Do you feel like you have a good handle on how to evaluate pregnancy risk for yourself?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dazed90
Neophyte
Member # 96029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dazed90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Lee:
HI There,

Stress and diet changes can definitely have an impact on one's menstrual cycle.

Do you write down the date of your period each month? I'm asking because not everyone's periods come every 28 days, so I was wondering if you were expecting it then because your periods usually do come every 28 days or because you think that is when it's supposed to come.

Of course, the only way for anyone to know if they're pregnant or not is to take a pregnancy test.

It sounds like sex is pretty stressful for you if you're always worried about pregnancy. Would you like to talk about that? Do you feel like you have a good handle on how to evaluate pregnancy risk for yourself?

I do write down my period every month. Before it would range from 28 to 31 days and the last two were every 28 days.

I guess I could talk about sex. I don't mind.

Posts: 13 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dazed90
Neophyte
Member # 96029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dazed90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been irregular and then stopped documenting my period from February to May.. before that my cycles were from 28-32 days. Then on June I got it twice (with a 29 day cycle), then I got it 32 days later.. after that I got it 29 days, then 28, then 25, then 26 and then nothing. (Reminder, I had sex 9 days before that period)
dazed90
Neophyte
Member # 96029

My PMS symptoms have also stopped and I don't have any pregnancy symptoms. It is now 1:41 AM on day 30 of my cycle.
dazed90
Neophyte
Member # 96029

Any opinions? Advice? Anything?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

A period being a couple of days later than usual really isn't an unusual thing.

You've described using birth control during sexual activity, and getting your period afterwards; pregnancy is pretty darn unlikely given those two things. If you're still worried you're pregnant though, a pregnancy test is the only thing that is going to tell you definitively whether you are or aren't.

Worry and stress can also have an impact on the menstrual cycle, including by delaying periods.

So you mentioned above that you worry every month about getting pregnant. How do you feel about the birth control method you're using? That is, do you feel secure with it? How do you feel about engaging in intercourse in general? You also mentioned that it was painful for you. Has it always been painful?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dazed90
Neophyte
Member # 96029

Well this was my first time. At the moment I felt secure with it, since we used it correctly and we weren't really successful with the sex (he couldn't go in all the way, which is why it was so painful.) Also, he never actually came. I don't feel too much about intercourse in general, I mean it's just a physical act that two people do when they're in love I guess. This was all during the time he visited me in college since I left home in August. We were gonna try again during the holidays when I got back, but given the circumstances, I don't want to try again, since I haven't gotten my period and I'm really freaked out about it.
dazed90
Neophyte
Member # 96029

*used it, referring to condoms.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI There,

It really is sound not to do something if you really don't want to do it. [Smile]

Sex isn't like, say, brushing our teeth, where we do it because we're supposed to whether we like it or not. So it's something you can choose to do, or choose not to do, regardless of whether you're in love with your partner. There's lots of other ways to express being in love besides engaging in intercourse.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.