Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Weird Bladder?? Please Help!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird Bladder?? Please Help!!!
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, sorry for having so many questions, but I'm very concerned that I have either some kind of bladder infection again, an STD, or that I'm pregnant.

I went to a doctor about two weeks ago and they told me my UTI was gone, so could it have come back if I feel like I need to pee when I shouldn't? Or do I have an STD? Or am I pregnant?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, a UTI takes more than one round of treatment to clear up completely. So if you recently had a UTI and you feel like your symptoms are coming back, I would suggest that you go back to your doctor and let them know.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all of my symptoms have come back. Occasionally I feel like I need to pee when I shouldn't, but it's not nearly as often as when I first got a UTI. But my urine is sometimes cloudy and warm-ish (sorry for being so gross!).

How would I know if this has progressed to a kidney infection?

Also, I haven't yet gotten my period, and I thought I was meant to get it today. Can a UTI interfere with a period? Should I be concerned that it's a day late?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are still experiencing some symptoms of UTI, you'll want to go back to your doctor to get checked out again.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Ok, I will see a doctor as soon as possible.

Can a bladder infection interfere with your period? I was supposed to get mine today but it didn't come. I ask this because I had a UTI and bladder infection during my periods starting in August and going until the end of September, when I started getting treated for my UTI. I got a period in mid-October, but I'm wondering if it really was a period if I still had a UTI after treatment. I didn't think my August and September periods were real because I had a UTI and assumed I was peeing blood.

smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi pocket mouse,

There are a number of factors which can cause a late or missed period, but a UTI isn't going to in and of itself. You can read about the reasons for missing periods here:
b]M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?[/b]

It's difficult to say whether the blood in your urine was your period or a symptom of the UTI. I recommend discussing it with your doctor.

There's a guide to UTIs here:
Out, Out Damn UTI!

Hope that helps,

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I will try to see if I can discuss it with my doctor on Tuesday. Thanks [Smile]

I also wanted to ask about a UTI symptom. I know that if your UTI is getting worse, you can start to get lower back pain. A couple hours ago I started to feel some slight tenderness more on the lower sides than the lower back. Does this still constitute lower back pain?

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could yes. If it gets to be more than tenderness like more into pain id suggest going to the er to get checked.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Ok thanks!

I think my period came today, but I still can't tell if I'm also peeing blood. Is there any way to tell? Sometimes I'll pee and it's tainted a faint pinkish color, but I don't know if that's because I'm peeing blood or if it's just my period.

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really think there is a legitimate/safe way for us to say anything definitive about your situation, we're not medical professionals-- but also nothing can really be diagnosed online anyhow? I recommend that if you're worried about this possibility, you go get it checked out. [Smile]
Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I know, I'm trying to get it checked out as soon as possible. The university clinic is pretty booked up right now so I may have to wait until next week when I come back from Thanksgiving break. Is this reasonable?

I know you can't diagnose! That's fine [Smile] I just want to know if there's anything I can do to make it easier for me to tell if I'm peeing blood or not. I feel like it would be pretty coincidental if I am peeing blood AND on my period at the same time.

Also, can some slight lower back soreness be caused by a period as well as a UTI?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people do experience lower back pain with menstruation.

The article that Marion linked you too lists the major symptoms of UTIs. If you are having any of those, you'll want to get treatment sooner than next week if at all possible. If you're not in pain, having difficulty with urination, etc, and just want to get checked out by a doctor, waiting until next week should be okay.

Really, you know best how you're feeling and whether you need medical intervention with that.

IN terms of having a period versus peeing blood, remember that if blood comes out at other times than when you're peeing, it's likely menstruation.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Ok!

I'm on the third day of medication for my UTI. I took my first dose for today this morning and I was fine. However, I'm on a bus back home right now and I realized I had to go to the bathroom, even though I went a few hours ago. After I went to the bathroom, my bladder and urethra/vagina feel very irritated and sensitive. Is this medicine working, or should I go back to the doctor and ask for a different prescription?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did your doctor give you both an antibiotic AND a pain reliever specific for UTIs?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

It takes a while for the medication to start working. So, you'll want to finish this course of your medication and then see your doctor again once you're done, so they can determine if the infection is cleared up.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Yes, I was given both antibiotics and a pain reliever. I took both this morning. However, up until now, the pain reliever got rid of my discomfort. Why has it suddenly come back?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't say, but if it went away but came back, despite still taking both medications, I'd just give your prescribing physician a call to check in about it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Should I finish this round of treatment and then call the doctor?
Heather
Member # 3

I'd call in now, just in case/ No need to be uncomfortable if you perhaps don't have to be.

You might also make sure you're doing the basic stuff you can to counteract the effect the meds can have on vulvar health, namely, yeast infections. An acidophilius supplement, or eating extra yogurt (including soy, if you're vegan), usually does the trick for most with that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I'm only home for thanksgiving weekend. Will I be okay if I wait until Monday?
Heather
Member # 3

I don't see any reason it wouldn't be okay, regardless. This is more about your comfort than your health, since you are already taking a medication for the health issue.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Is it normal for me to be this uncomfortable halfway into treatment? I really wasn't feeling this bad for the first two days [Frown]
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can take some time for the treatment to start having an affect -- if by the time you've finished the treatment you're still experiencing discomfort, you should consult your doctor about it. You could also phone the pharmacist who dispenses your medication and ask them about it -- you could do that before you finish your treatment if you want to.
Posts: 1298 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

My urine is a dark yellow but I've been drinking water. What's wrong with me?
Heather
Member # 3

Are you still taking the pain meds for this?

If so, have you read the patient info that came with them which should explain those medications typically discolor urine?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I haven't taken it for today.
Heather
Member # 3

Right, but that discoloration can tend to stick around for a day or two after with those medications sometimes.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Oh ok! Well I went to the bathroom a little while ago and my urine was still dark yellow. When I wiped, there was a little blood. Am I peeing blood?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Do you still have your period? Robin addressed earlier how you can distinguish whether you are peeing blood, or simply seeing period blood.

The best thing you can do right now is to take the medication you were prescribed, according to your doctor's instructions. If you have any further questions about your treatment, the best person to direct them to is your doctor.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Can drinking a lot of cranberry juice make urine dark yellow? My urine is still very discolored, even though I haven't taken the pain relief meds for two days now
Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, ARE you drinking lots of cranberry juice? If so, it's actually not advised once someone has an infection, but instead only as a preservative.

And if it's not straight cranberry juice -- or straight cranberry juice diluted only with water -- and you know that because straight cranberry juice is more tart than sucking on a lemon, then it's likely a cocktail, and those tend to be FULL of sugar. So, a bad choice for urinary health.

Really though, again, it sounds to me like it's past time to call your doctor's office with these questions and concerns.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.