Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » skipping placebos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: skipping placebos
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two questions to ask and one is more urgent as I need to act fast.

Next week would be placebo/period week (I am on alesse 28) but I was wondering if it is safe to skip my period and start a new pack of pills right away (this Sunday)? I want my period a week earlier in December. The week in December that I would originally have my period, I have a commitment where I do not want to worry about the bleeding. If I start my new pack on Sunday and skip my period, then I should get my period the beginning of December instead of the middle.. I have never done this before and am not sure if it's safe and if the pills (alesse 28) would still be effective (if I continuously use them for two months without a placebo week)?

Does this mean I would have a pretty heavy period next month (because of all the extra lining) and if I bloat a considerable amount each month and have no period next week to ease PMS symptoms like these, will I be bloated until I go through placebo week next month? And are there any adverse effects to doing this? Seems like silly questions but I just have no idea.

Also, I was on antibiotics this month and finished a couple days ago. I was told to use a backup method until the end of this month's pack (which would be this Sunday and then all next week would be placebos)..

If I decide to start a new pack on Sunday, am I back to full coverage or do I need to have some sort of "period"/placebo week before I consider getting rid of condoms? Just curious how long I have to wait before I can rely on my pills again!

Thanks

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't yet have ANY study on skipping placebos for those under 18, so we don't know if it's safe. For those over 18, we have a few studies over a few years (per study subjects) that, so far, show doing so so long as someone allows themselves four periods a year does not have any ill health effects. And that's just all we know right now.

Mind, that doesn't mean you still won't have your withdrawal bleed if you decide to do this: you might not, but you still might. Sometimes it works that way, sometimes it doesn't.

What it usually means after that for people who do this isn't a heavier period, but more mid-cycle spotting.

Skipping the placebo period does not decrease pill effectiveness so long as you go right into the next active pack, with no break, and take all the pills in that pack.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.