Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » One day bleeding? What is this?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One day bleeding? What is this?!
She Runs To Eat Chocolate
Neophyte
Member # 37324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for She Runs To Eat Chocolate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nov 1 I thought I got my period already because I had 2 dark blood stains early on in the day.

And then I bled a little bit more in the day but by the evening...I wasn't bleeding anymore.

Then I started to wonder why my body was this way even though my tummy is kind of churning (as it does with a period) and I think now it's just from anxiety because I don't know why this is happening..

On Oct 19, I was making out with my boyfriend and I became really really "wet" so quickly and when he was rubbing on me...I felt a little nervous but I didn't think I had any risk so I didn't take any EC or whatever....

Goodness but since I got this period I started reading online and there are all these implantation bleeding articles and I panicked!

Posts: 29 | From: The Giant Coco-Nut-Nut-Nut | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 37324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for She Runs To Eat Chocolate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay update I think it was like dark dark brownish discharge.
Which is WEIRD and I am panicking about it

Posts: 29 | From: The Giant Coco-Nut-Nut-Nut | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi She Runs,
I understand that you are anxious, but could you clarify exactly why that is/what your question is- and what reasons you have for that concern?

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideas for clarification: Is your period usually regular? And if so, around when do you usually get it (where does "Nov 1st" fit into the equation)? Are you on any kind of birth control?

When you say you did not experience any risk on Oct 19th, what makes you think now that there is some reason for you to be worried? And what are you worried about?

[ 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 37324

Could dark dark brownish discharge be implantation bleeding? Because the last time I had any genital rubbing with my boyfriend was oct 19! I had gotten my period the week before that...

I was very wet during time but he ejaculated like... 15 minutes after we stopped and he was just playing with himself.... I didn't think that had any substanial risk and I didn't take EC...

honestly I'm not feeling any of those "panic" pregnancy symptoms of swollen breasts, nausea... I only started panicking when I saw this

It was just this Nov 1 when I got the dark dark brownish discharge and I was wondering if it was the start of my period or something else...Furthermore it didn't continue anymore in the evening AND at most I've just seen slight hints of light brown discharge...

I think I'll take a pregnancy test or is this just a normal female experience??

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

How exactly are you defining "genital rubbing?"
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Your post history shows you first asked a question about pregnancy risk back in 2008-
at that time, you were linked to this pregnancy risk assessment article: http://www.scarleteen.com/pregnancy_risk_assessment_vaginal_intercourse

Since it seems you are already familiar with pregnancy risk, I would ask what it is specifically about the sexual activity you call “genital rubbing” that leads you to believe that you may have a pregnancy risk...? You say you were not initially worried about a risk, so now that you are experiencing what may easily be spotting (especially for someone who has such a long history of irregular periods), what is it about this bleeding experience that logically overcomes your previous reasoning for a possible risk being present?

To be clear, experiencing something that *could* be a sign or symptom (but just as easily could not be, depending on the context) is not, in itself, necessarily a legitimate indication of anything. Saying "I am experiencing a bleed that I don't think is my period" is really such a random jump from assuming there is a pregnancy risk- and in the context of your previous reasoning that you were at no risk, it is not only a random jump, but a completely illogical one.

So, I'm asking if there is any step to your thought process that I'm missing here? If not, I do not think you should take a pregnancy test.

Occasional spotting between periods, or changes in your bleeding's appearance/intensity/duration, is not uncommon for women. As you are someone with often-irregular periods, I *definitely* would not worry that your darker-coloring one-day bleeding is anything but just that.

Plus, you yourself have said you did not engage in activity that put you at risk for pregnancy.

ALSO:
There are a number of posts where you mention taking, or considering taking, EC. As Heather suggested you might consider re your “panic from the boyfriend” post, have you considered adding another form of birth control to your (what seems current?) condom usage, such as going on the pill? While it’s true that EC and the pill are v similar hormonally, EC can take (as you’ve obviously experienced) quite a toll on your system. It’s not a great idea for your body to take it more than just occasionally/rarely, and so is really not something that should be considered anywhere near as often as regular proper use of contraception. Also, EC gives you absolutely no protection from possible STIs.
What do you think about these options? Do you think an additional method of birth control would help ease your worry?

[ 11-03-2012, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Neophyte
Member # 37324

I see what you are saying.
I've been on BC aka condoms with my boyfriend since my last post on risk assessment as I had given up with all these unnecessary fears already and we had discussed together that is is wiser to be safe... with the exception of this oct 19 incident. I guess sometimes when you are caught in the moment it's really easy to forget being thorough.

Anyway I just got scared about this because I've never had a spotting experience that lasted only a day! Previous experience I would get spotting days they would be 2 to 3 days...

Thank you for knocking some sense into me

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Glad to hear that you and your boyfriend decided to choose safe sex! Properly and consistently-used protection is really the only way to ensure you won't have pregnancy scares- because that's how you avoid risk.

One more thing though: try not to be too easy on yourself when it comes to it being "really easy to forget being thorough" when "caught in the moment." For a couple clearly so concerned with pregnancy risk, it is probably the best idea for you two to both make a point of associating any sexual activity with the need to first stop to procure protection. Sure, it's possible to get distracted for a few moments, but you're in control of yourself/your actions, so setting your own personal limits and guidelines should really help your focus stay on track (at least long enough for your boyfriend to safely put on a condom).

Glad to help!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.