Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » PREGNANCY RISK. Forgot the pill! HELP!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PREGNANCY RISK. Forgot the pill! HELP!!
Kate101
Neophyte
Member # 46739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
First of all, let me introduce you to the case: Me and my boyfriend are dating for almost three years and have only been with each other sexually (not that that matters to the case). I've been taking the pill for 2 yrs and a half always on time (around 7:30 pm everyday). But on last Friday (26Oct) (the 1st week of the pack) I forgot it and only took it on Saturday at 7:30pm (along with the Saturday pill). We last had sex the Sunday(21Oct) before that (and on Saturday, 20Oct, of that weekend too). Am I at risk? When can I test?

Please help, this is the first time this has happened :|

Posts: 25 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kate,
To be clear- you are saying that the day you forgot to take your pill was 5 days after you last had sex?

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you were covered by the pill at the time you had sex... and then five days later, you forgot to take one, but have not had sex since? Am I misunderstanding something? The potential for risk generally arises when a person has partnered sex AFTER some mess up with taking a pill. I'm not sure what pill you are on, but regardless, it is generally okay to take the pill again if within a day, preferably within the first 12 hours, but either way-- still, using a backup method of protection is a good idea for at least a week after missing a day.
Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate101
Neophyte
Member # 46739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's correct! 5 days, and have not had sex ever since. I'm on Valette. I think we're gonna skip sex just to be extra safe!
Posts: 25 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate101
Neophyte
Member # 46739

so what's my risk? or should I be okay since I've not had sex since, and the last time I had it was 5 days before I forgot the pill?

The brochure just says "talk to your doctor"... which is very vague and thus scary!

Thanks for your precious help! Your work is extremely important and helpful.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While there is always some risk of pregnancy when engaging in intercourse or other sexual activities that could lead to pregnancy, as no contraception is 100% effective, there is no increased risk from what you've described.

Additionally, just in case this concerns you, there is no carry over from pack to pack, so once you start your next pack, the missed pill from the previous one won't have any bearing on effectiveness.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate101
Neophyte
Member # 46739

Yes! Thanks a lot! [Smile]
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.