Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Typical scare with Plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Typical scare with Plan B
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for taxxy28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I'd just like some information regarding my scare. I've been on birth control pill for four years. I take my pill on the dot at 3:45PM every day.

Yesterday, Saturday, I absolutely forgot to take my pill. I had unprotected sex where he came inside me at 1:00AM early Sunday morning. Thirty minutes later, I remembered I had forgot my pill and took it immediately, around 1:30AM, and thus I took it 10 hours late.

Approximately thirty minutes after that, I took a Next Choice One-Dose pill.

Since I had taken my pill ten hours late, and since he had come inside BEFORE I took the late birth control pill, what am I looking at here in terms of risk?

Thank you so very much.

[ 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: taxxy28 ]

Posts: 90 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for taxxy28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: taxxy28 ]

Posts: 90 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Also, if this helps, I started my placebo pills on Wednesday, Oct 10. My actual period started on Saturday, Oct 13.

I started taking the next pack of pills on Wednesday, Oct 17, and my period ended pretty much on that day as well. I don't know if this matches my ovulation cycle, but just providing as much information as I can.

I've also been reading reviews on the effectiveness of Next Choice One-Dose and they have been generally negative. This isn't good.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi taxxy28,

There is no increased risk here. With combination birth control pills (that is, pills that contain more than one hormone) you have a grace period of twelve hours, so while it's more ideal to take the pill within three hours of your usual pill time, taking that pill when you did was still safe. Having intercourse before you took the pill doesn't increase the risk either.

So, taking the emergency contraception wasn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt anything. You may find that you have some side effects from the extra hormones, such as spotting between withdrawal bleeds (what the period is called when someone is on hormonal birth control) but again, you didn't do anything harmful.

You mentioned ovulation cycles. The primary function of the birth control pill is to prevent ovulation, so talking about ovulation cycles doesn't apply here. [Smile]

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Thank you. Did taking the EC decrease the risk or did nothing?

I'm taking a generic form of Tri-Cyclen Ortho, that is a combination pill correct?

Also, when would be the very earliest I could take a pregnancy test and it would be accurate? I have a long waiting time ahead of me since I just started a new pack. Would a blood test produce more accurate results sooner?

You're saying there's absolutely no increased risk in this situation? Other than the normal risk with using only birth control pills and coming inside with no condom?

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally you want to wait two weeks to test, you can test as early as 10 days but sometimes you wont get as accurate results as you do at the 14 day point.

And yep, there's no increased risk here. If EC helped at all it would be very little, as there's not much for it to do in this case.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Thank you, just one more question to ease a troubled mind. Since my pill is Trinessa, and it's considered a "low dose" birth control pill, I've read the grace period is shorter compared to other BC pills. Your thought?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where have you read this?

There's no distinction between pill brands besides the distinction between combination (estrogen and progesterone) and mini (progesterone only) pills.

Here's some more information on pill-taking.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Thank you for all your help and information!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome.

Just to check in, since you and your partner aren't using condoms, are you up to date on your STI testing?

--------------------
Robin

taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

No but we have been in a monogamous marriage for four years.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Just wanted to check....

--------------------
Robin

taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Thank you for everything! I'm really hoping I am still covered even though I took the pill outside that 3-window period
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You really should be. No contraception is 100% effective at preventing pregnancy but I'm really not hearing anything here that's a concern. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.