Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnancy Symptoms but Not Pregnant??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Symptoms but Not Pregnant??
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm sorry to keep having so many questions, but I feel like I'm experiencing pregnancy symptoms. My lower abdomen, especially the wall of the abdomen itself, feels tense and thicker. I'm also moody. I think that I've been having periods but I can't tell if they're periods or if they're just me peeing blood from a UTI that I had in the past and the UTI that I currently have now. What's going on?
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're worried about pregnancy have you taken a pregnancy test yet? Also if you're bleeding like you would for a period ie you're having bleeding onto pads or tampons not just when you urinate then that would be your period indicating you're not pregnant.

[ 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not taken a pregnancy test because I didn't think that I needed to. Should I?

And yes, I am bleeding not just when I urinate. But if I'm not pregnant, then why is my stomach all tense?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are bleeding not just when you urinate, then that would not be from a UTI. As we always say here, if it looked like a period, it probably was a period [Smile] There could be many reasons for your stomach feeling "tense", none of which we could diagnose for you online even if we were doctors. If your period is due soon, it could be bloating or cramping, for example. If the feeling keeps up, that would be something to talk to your doctor about.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

So it's impossible for me to be pregnant then?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've had periods since your last risk then you can't be pregnant.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I'm bleeding way more than I usually would during a period. Is it still a period?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods don't always look the exact same. But if this is bleeding that is happening around the time you would expect your period, then it's very likely that that is what it is.

However, as Stephanie suggested, taking a pregnancy test may also help you put your fears to rest.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I'll see if I can. Are there other symptoms that would indicate that I'm pregnant?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've linked you to this before, but even so, how about you review it again?

b]Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul[/b]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Thanks! Yeah, I've seen it before [Smile] I was wondering if there was anything more specific? Because I feel like it should be pretty obvious to me that I'm not pregnant if I have my period, but then I can't explain this strange tightness in my entire stomach wall.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, that's as specific as it gets when it comes to pregnancy, which is why to determine a pregnancy, a pregnancy test or ultrasound is done.

Really, though, I'd not say what you're feeling is something associated, at all, with early pregnancy. Way later in pregnancy, when organs are getting smushed due to the size of the fetus, pregnant people can feel that way, but that's about it.

So, how about checking in with a healthcare provider, who CAN look into this for you?

It might also help to remind yourself that because something is going on with our bodies we haven't experienced before or can't explain doesn't mean we might be pregnant. There are going to likely be plenty of times in life when your body feels a way it hasn't before, or something is happening with it you can't grok, and chances are good that most of the time? It won't be because you're pregnant, unless you spend a lot of your life pregnant. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.