Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Sex with Condoms...help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex with Condoms...help
panicstrawberry
Neophyte
Member # 42840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scarleteen,

I've been sexually active and use condoms for a basic form of birth control. Today my friend and I had sex, and he ejaculated inside of me wearing a condom. I am worried that since I'm not on the pill my risk of pregnancy is higher since I'm not using double protection. The condom did not slip, break, or tear so I know I should feel at ease but I'm always worried. But when we finished having sex the condom looked "suctioned" so we took it off and examined it with no damage to it. He even did the "blow" test to show that it had no tears or holes in it.

My last period was Oct 9th-17th of this month... and I feel as if I'm in my ovulation stage which makes me worry. I also just stopped taking antibiotics for a UTI on the 16th.....

Should I purchase plan B or was I protected enough with the condom? I've read all your articles and yet I still feel nervous.

[ 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: panicstrawberry ]

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI panicstrawberry and welcome to Scarleteen!

Condoms are an extremely effective form of birth control when used properly, which you did. They also protect against STI (sexually transmitted infection) transmission.

When you say your friend did the "blow test", do you mean that he blew the condom up prior to using it? If so, this is something you'll want to avoid doing in future as that can actually compromise the condom's durability. If a condom is torn or has a hole in it, you'll know. Unless you store your condoms next to something sharp, or the box has beeen tampered with (which you'll noticed whenyou buy it) condoms are intact. If a condom breaks during use, it doesn't just spring a little leak, but rather splits or tears noticeably.

So, nothing you've told me here says that you need to go get emergency contraception, unless you're just feeling like you want more protection. Know though that if you have ovulated recently, emergency contraception won't do anything for you, as the primary way it works is through preventing ovulation.

Here's some more information about condoms.

Condoms

It sounds like you've been worried about birth control for a while. Would you like to talk about finding another method that you can add in addition to using condoms?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.