Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pill Brand Switch Mid-Cycle and No Back-up Method

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill Brand Switch Mid-Cycle and No Back-up Method
sweet_thing
Activist
Member # 52326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my boyfriend's car was broken in to on Saturday and my purse was stolen, along with my birth control. I was at the end of the first week of my new cycle, and I take my pills straight for six weeks (period every other month basically). I went to the pharmacy to get a new pack, but they were out of the brand I normally take. Instead, they gave me a different brand of the same dosage (I had taken it before in the past as well). I took the new brand of pill on time on Saturday, and every day after that as well. However, I had sex Saturday evening without a back-up method and my boyfriend came inside of me. I've been tied up trying to reacquire all of my belongings that were stolen that I haven't really had the time to think about that, but now I'm worried. I'm getting a little bit of what I think might be withdrawal bleeding too, as I noticed a rusty brown discharge today.

Basically, my question is this: am I at risk of pregnancy for switching pill brands mid-cycle and having sex that evening? Could I be pregnant? Please help! [Frown]

Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

As long as you didn't have any interruption in your pill taking, such as missing a day, you shouldn't have had an interruption to the effectiveness. Even though the dosage is the same, the body can react differently to different brands of the pill, which would explain the withdrawal bleeding.

The pill doesn't provide 100% protection from pregnancy at any time (studies have found it to be between 92% and 99% effective based on how accurately it was used) but what you've described here, while unusual, shouldn't have made a dramatic difference.

If you want to double check, you can take a pregnancy test 14 or more days after that sexual encounter.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_thing
Activist
Member # 52326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much!
Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.