Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Condom slip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom slip
gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gabrielle90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I know this may not qualify as a true emergency, but do allow me to explain my situation.

I was having intercourse with my partner about 2 days ago, I was atop him and when i got up, he realised the condom had slipped. I felt for it and it was inside of me. I took it out and checked the condom, and it did not break. Basically I think it broke because he went soft for a while. (sorry for providing so much detail). He also did not come yet. We did not continue with sex and he proceeded to come outside (but not on me).

I looked at the condom and there was some white liquid which I am sure was some of his pre ejaculate. I'm just wondering if there is a possible risk since the condom slipped off (this is a first time for us), yet he did not ejaculate in me.

I just need to know because I want to know if I need EC. My last period was on 13 August and my cycles may range from 35 days to 40 over days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gabrielle90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for the confusion, i meant I think the condom slipped because he went soft. It didn't break.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because he did not ejaculate inside of you, the risk is low. The condom slipping off does mean there is a slight risk of pregnancy, but it's pretty small since pre-ejaculate only poses a small risk and the condom probably wasn't COMPLETELY ineffective so it may still have protected you -- so you can decide whether you're okay with that or not, and if you're not okay with the risk, you can definitely take EC.

[ 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Ok, I understand that. I'm also not exactly sure where I can get EC in my area [Frown]

I read in a previous post by another user that if the rim of the condom is outside of me, the risk is not as great as compared to if the condom was completely inside? Because I'm pretty sure the rim was outside when i pulled it out.

Does pre-ejaculate always contain sperm? I saw that it only contains sperm if the guy previously ejaculated shortly before?

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the rim being outside of your vagina would mean it's a lot less likely for any pre-ejaculate (or ejaculate if he had ejaculated, for future reference) to have got into your vagina.

No, pre-ejaculate doesn't always contain sperm. If he peed pretty soon before having sex, the pre-ejaculate most likely will not contain sperm because the acidity of the urine kills sperm.

Depending where you are, you may be able to get EC at a pharmacy, or at a sexual health clinic like Planned Parenthood. If you give us your postal code (either here or via the "contact us" link if you want more privacy), we could look up something local for you [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

That sounds very reassuring. Thank you for your patience and advice, onionpie. I guess we are just worried because we never had a condom slip before. As they have worked pretty well for us before this.

I currently stay in Singapore, I'm not sure if I can get ec at a local pharmacy. Or I must get a doctors prescription? I've had some issues with hormone imbalances previously as well as a history of ovarian cysts. Will taking EC screw up my body in any way?

If it will, I may just have to go without the EC and wait for my period, meanwhile keeping my fingers crossed that the pre ejaculate was pretty much sperm-free. But well like they say, it only takes one sperm to get a girl pregnant [Frown]

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Okay, so I looked it up and EC is only available by prescription in singapore. So you can see your gynecologist or just a doctor ASAP and get some if you want.

Also, there are no known permanent or long-term side effects of EC -- it has some side effects such as nausea that only last a day or two, and it can mess up the rhythm of your menstrual cycle a bit -- that is, it can make your period irregular for a few cycles.

Your best bet, if you do take EC, would be to ask the doctor about it in relation to your health issues when you go in to get a prescription.

And actually -- it doesn't take one sperm to get someone pregnant! [Smile] There need to be quite a few sperm to be able to function properly. Only one sperm forms a zygote with the egg at the end, but it needs all those other sperm with it on its way there [Razz]
There's more on that here if you'd like to know more:
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

[ 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Thanks very much for the information. I will try to see a doctor tmr but in the event that he or she doesn't want to give me ec, I'd say my chances of pregnancy are slim yeah? After going through your advice and the articles that is.

I know I may be asking too much here.. But if you were in my position, would you or anyone else for that matter, go for ec in my situation?

gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Oh boy.. Millions of sperm in just one drop of semen?! Oh no. That does sound bad. Is semen and ejaculate just different names for the same thing?

I must thank you for your advice again.. Whatever happens. I hope my period comes as scheduled within two weeks and I'll be reporting good news here instead of asking for further advice. =/

gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Oh boy.. Millions of sperm in just one drop of semen?! Oh no. That does sound bad. Is semen and ejaculate just different names for the same thing?

I must thank you for your advice again.. Whatever happens. I hope my period comes as scheduled within two weeks and I'll be reporting good news here instead of asking for further advice. =/

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Yes, the chances are slim.

Semen is the same thing as ejaculate. There's less sperm in pre-ejaculate, which is why it poses less of a risk.

No problem [Smile] I don't know if it's my place to say what I'd do in this situation, because different people weigh things differently, you know? So you might find a risk of pregnancy to be a bigger deal than I do.

From now on, to make sure things like this don't happen, have you considered using a second method of birth control? We have an article that goes through the effectiveness of pairing up various types of birth control, check it out:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Hello again, so the bad news is I didn't manage to get EC as my doctor didn't recommend me taking it due to previous hormonal issues. I have no idea why. He told me to just wait up for my period.

So the thing is I've been having pretty bad cramps for a couple of days now (worse than usual) and really tender and sensitive boobs. I was doing the calculations and if I'm really that unlucky, this should be the implantation period? The attempted intercourse/ condom slip happened on 8th September.

I'm hoping its my period.. but just in case it doesn't come and I wanna do a pregnancy test, will doing it on this coming Monday give me an accurate result?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you were unable to get EC.

Implantation usually doesn't have any symptoms at all, and your pregnancy risk was small to begin with, so it's very likely that the cramps and tender breasts are because your period is on its way. If you do want to take a pregnancy test though, taking it this Monday will give you an accurate result.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gabrielle90
Neophyte
Member # 96479

Oh ok. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

I will probably take a test by Monday or Tuesday latest if my period does not show up.

Given my situation, does this constitute as a condom failure because it slipped? So that will place this situation in the 20 or 30 odd percent of failure rates right?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a condom failure as the condom didn't work as intended. However, as others have mentioned, since there was no ejaculation the risk is lower than if there had been.

I'm not sure at this point whether it's as useful to calculate percentages as it is to just say that you did have a risk (albeit, a small one) and that you'll need to take a pregnancy test to see what's what if your period doesn't arrive.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.