Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » I don't understand if this is a risk or not

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't understand if this is a risk or not
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please help me. My boyfriend and I were having manual and oral sex which I know is not a risk. However, I think some semen got on a little stuffed animal. I remember my boyfriend tossing and holding this stuffed animal and then a little later he touched me down there again. Is this a risk? I'm so scared. Please help me.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey anna, this situation would be covered by some of the articles in the "pregnancy limits" forum post.

From Pregnancy Scared?:
quote:
Were you only kissing, having oral sex, manual sex and/or dry sex, where everyone had clothes on and no one ejaculated on or very near anyone else's vulva? These kinds of sex do NOT present any pregnancy risks, though some can present risks of STIs.
quote:
When pregnancy occurs, it is almost always when people have genital intercourse or other very direct genital-to-genital contact and/or when someone ejaculates directly inside a vagina or unto the vulva.
Do you need any help clarifying anything in that information?
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, but my clothes were off and my boyfriend was touching me when he had possibly just touched the toy that was on his penis. I freaked out a couple hours before he touched me because the toy smelled a little like semen. So couldn't there be a risk if he was holding or moving that around?
Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

I mean, that just seems so legitimate, because the toy had smelt like semen, and it had been on his penis.
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short answer: nope.

[ 09-08-2012, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

ok. I guess my next question is how long would it have taken for the sperm to die on the toy, or on someone's hand?

The other question I had is that I am on Aviane-28 and I took a pill in the third week of my cycle about 8.5 hours late-- Yesterday I took the first placebo pill, even though I had already been bleeding because of the "late" pill, so now technically I am on my withdrawal bleed. Does this make my birth control less effective? Should I worry about the bleeding before my actual withdrawal bleed?

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also from Pregnancy Scared:
"Have you not had any kind of sex at all (and were not sexually assaulted), but are worried because of something like touching a partner's hand then touching yourself, or using a towel that may have had dried semen on it? These kinds of scenarios do NOT pose risks of pregnancy. Sperm and ovum need specific conditions in which to co-create a pregnancy, and these ain't them."

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

so the length of time it takes to die doesn't matter?

also what about my birth control?

Thanks!

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Anna, did you look over the pregnancy pages before heading over to post? It's usually the best thing to do because a lot of clearly-explained information on sexual basics is there, and you will not have to wait for a response. Your answer to the stuffed animal question could have been located by reading through this page: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007116.html .

To save time, this is info copy-and-pasted from The Refresher Course:
"Sperm can live up to about 20 minutes in an environment that is unfriendly to them (in other words, outside the testicles, vagina or in lab conditions), but they are very delicate creatures in the great outdoors. So while, for instance, having unprotected anal sex where sperm can run right down into the vagina does create a possible risk of pregnancy, it isn't as likely a risk as it is with vaginal intercourse. If there is a distinct barrier between the vagina and the penis in question, such as thick or nonpermeable clothing (like a few layers of denim or polyester or PVC), water or an interstate highway, there is not a likely risk of pregnancy.

In addition, you cannot get pregnant by swallowing semen, by oral sex, or by manual (with hands, or "fingering") sex. You CAN, however, catch or transmit STIs that way."

[ 09-08-2012, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

When you say you took a pill 8.5 hours late, did you still take it the day you were supposed to? As in, there was no day you missed a pill entirely?
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

thanks for directing me to that information-- it says there is not a likely risk of pregnancy, but is that any risk at all?

and by that I mean I usually take my pill around 11pm-midnight before I sleep, and I took it around 7:30am the morning after, which caused me to bleed a little one or two days later

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

My understanding of Aviane is that the potential pregnancy risk only comes in (once you are past its initial introductory and adjustment period to your body) once 24 hours have passed since your last pill.

[ 09-08-2012, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

ok. Where can I clarify this information about my pill?

I still am confused when the article says there is not a likely risk, but you are saying it is no risk at all?

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Well, here is the where you previously had a very similar conversation regarding late pill-taking with Scarleteen: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027816/p/1.html

Otherwise, you can clarify it by reading the informational/instructive packet that generally comes as part of the birth control package.

fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

ok. So my risk is nonexistent or very unlikely? I guess if it was very unlikely it would be basically nonexistent since I'm on the pill?
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Regarding the article saying it is not a likely risk, that conclusion is within the context of "...water or an interstate highway, there is not a likely risk of pregnancy." As in, you are just as likely to become pregnant if you and your partner's genitals are separated by an object/material as you are when they are separated by a *highway*. So the wording of "not a likely risk" is supposed to be funny- obviously you can't get pregnant if you are a highway away from someone.

Long story short, you don't have to worry about any risk.

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Yes, plus with you being still protected by your birth control, there is *actually* nothing to worry about. [Smile]
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

I get that now, I was so panicked I wasn't reading clearly. Thank you for all the clarifications!
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

No problem!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.