Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Condom slip - MAP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom slip - MAP
umbrella123
Neophyte
Member # 96113

Icon 5 posted      Profile for umbrella123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really in need of advice and have nobody to talk to about this.

Last night I had sex with my boyfriend. We used a condom and everything was as normal except I noticed I was a lot wetter than normal during sex. After he had finished, he went to pull out of me and felt for the condom but it wasn't there. So he pulled out and we realized it was inside me. I had to feel around a little and as it was so slippery it took me 2 or 3 attempts to grab it and pull it out. When I saw it I noticed it was very long, like it had been stretched or something. There was a normal amount of cum still in the tip. As we didn't want to risk anything, I took the Levonelle One Step morning after pill about 1hr after the incident.

I am now concerned because I was day 14 of my cycle which would mean I am almost certainly fertile/ovulating. I have read an article online saying that the Levonelle One Step I took isn't effective during your most fertile days. There is nothing mentioned about this on their website or in the information provided.

Realistically, is there much of a chance I could be pregnant because of this accident? I am not on any form of contraception, we solely rely on condoms which have worked fine until this happened. Please help as it's really affecting me. Many thanks.

[ 08-27-2012, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: umbrella123 ]

Posts: 5 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone ovulates on day 14: some people do, others on day 11, others on day 16, and so on. Just like not everyone has a 28-day menstrual cycle.

Do you chart your fertility, and is that YOUR most typical day of ovulation?

If you don't do that and have that information about yourself, then I'd not concern yourself with you ovulating. Also, the MAP can absolutely be effective when people are ovulating. There are no days or times of the cycle specifically when it has been found to be totally ineffective.

Really, you had a condom failure, which of course, presents a pregnancy risk. But you used Plan B immediately and properly, so all there is to do now, I'm afraid, is wait this out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
umbrella123
Neophyte
Member # 96113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for umbrella123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Heather,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I don't chart my fertility. I have always had irregular periods but the past three months my cycle has been regular at 29/30 days.

Is it safe to assume I have a very low risk of pregnancy, since I took MAP so soon after the incident? Also, does the fact there was cum inside and no rips in the condom lower my chances of pregnancy at all? I imagine the cum would need to have slid down to the base of the condom to pose any real threat?

Also, I read the Scarleteen Emergency Contraception article. Am I right in thinking that I would still be within the 'typical use' rate of condom success? So that taking MAP too would give me around a 99.7% chance of protection against pregnancy?

Kind regards.

Posts: 5 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing when we ovulate is about knowing more than just when we menstruate. To have an accurate idea about our fertility and when we ovulate, we have to chart cervical mucus, basal temperature os both daily for some time, and have the education to interpret that charting. So, in this case, I'd just walk away from ovulation fears, because who knows when you were ovulating.

The MAP is anywhere from 75% - 98% effective depending on how soon it's taken, so you can see that given when you used it, you potentially had a lot of protection from pregnancy: potentially just as much as if you hadn't had a condom failure at all.

I'd not call a condom slipping off typical use: if a condom wasn't on during ejaculation, we need to consider that a condom failure.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
umbrella123
Neophyte
Member # 96113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for umbrella123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for your reply, Heather.

I found the following paragraph a bit confusing, which is why I thought I could consider it as typical use:

'If you didn't use a method properly (for instance, you have missed some pills or only put a condom on halfway through intercourse) or that method failed (like a condom breaking or slipping off), look at the rate for typical use. Looking at these rates may help you figure out if and when Plan B will or won't likely make a big difference'

I thought that the condom was on during ejaculation, as when we pulled it out after there was a normal amount of cum in the tip. Would this not lower my chances of pregnancy?

Sorry for so many questions. Last time I took MAP, I had no period for 6 weeks and I know I'll be chewing this all over in my head if I don't ask.

Kind regards.

Heather
Member # 3

Typical and effective use rates are figured for one full year of use.

In this case, we're trying to look at if a method likely failed or not in a single use. And a condom being off during ejaculation is effectively that condom not being used at all when it all comes down to it.

IF it slipped but the outer edge was still outside your vagina, that's a different situation then if it was inside. But once ejaculation is inside your body, it's inside.

Don't say any of this to freak you out on purpose, just trying to be accurate.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.