Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Question about the morning after pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about the morning after pill
Kayleee
Neophyte
Member # 95994

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Kayleee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For how long does Plan B affect your monthly cycles? When I took it 3 months ago, I got my period 5 days prior to taking it. Then the month after I got it exactly on time since the last time I received it. Now it's the 3rd month and it's a few days late. Can plan b affect your period for this long? I'm really worried.
Another question, this is from your article: "touching a partner's hand then touching yourself, or using a towel that may have had dried semen on it? These kinds of scenarios do NOT pose risks of pregnancy. Sperm and ovum need specific conditions in which to co-create a pregnancy, and these ain't them."
I understand you can't get pregnant from that but what if your partner touched himself, got precum on his hands and a few minutes later fingered you? Does that pose a pregnancy risk? Thanks for your time in reading this.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends. For some people, it doesn't at all, for any period of time. For others one cycle, for someone else, 2 or 3.

I'd say more than 3 would be unlikely, and if something has changed, it probably isn't about Plan B.

In terms of risk assessments, we're not doing those right now with people, as explained elsewhere on the forum. But I bet you can apply what you asked about to that text and look at our materials and sort it out. What do YOU think?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayleee
Neophyte
Member # 95994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayleee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks. But do you find it unusual how it was on time last month but this month its a few days late?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't find that unusual because that's fairly common with people's periods, period. [Smile]

So, in your case, this may well be an issue of this not being related to Plan B, but to a fluke in your cycle, or your cycle timing changing, etc.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayleee
Neophyte
Member # 95994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayleee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather. I know this is off topic from what I've been asking you but.. Just a while ago I was talking to my mom and she asked if I'm sexually active. I haven't exactly had sex but I have done other things.. I want to admit that to my mom but I'm so worried she won't let me see my boyfriend anymore? I don't know what to do. Do you think I should tell her? And how can I tell her?
Heather
Member # 3

There's really no right answer to this. After all, I think everyone is entitled to privacy if and when they want it when it comes to their sexual life.

At the same time, we all need support in that sometimes, especially when it's a new part of our life, and sometimes parents can be great for that. As well, sometimes we want the kind of relationship with them where parts of our sexual lives are things we share.

And of course, if having privacy means lying, then sometimes that can mean breaking trust, which isn't good for relationships and can also bite you in the butt. It's one thing to be sexual if a parent isn't so sure about you doing that, it's another to be being sexual AND being dishonest about it, and while the former can be tough, the latter almost always guarantees big conflict.

What do you think, and what do you want around this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Kayleee
Neophyte
Member # 95994

I think I'm going to admit this to my mom. She told me I can always be open with her about these things. Like you said, I wouldn't want to be dishonest to her about it and break trust. I think she'd feel better if I was honest and told her the truth. That way maybe she'll agree to putting me on birth control so
Im more protected. Thank you for all your advice.

Heather
Member # 3

It might help, when you have this talk with her, to express why you didn't know about answering honestly or not, because you feared being honest with her would mean having to choose between that and your romantic/sexual relationship.

And then you can talk about how you two, if she has any conflicts, can resolve or work on those in a way that won't make you feel torn like that, and will let you honor both relationships without one taking a hit for the other, if you follow me.

By the way, either way, chances are good you can get birth control methods without your mother's permission or income. So, whatever she says shouldn't mean you do or don't have the level of protection you want and need, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Kayleee
Neophyte
Member # 95994

Okay [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.