Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Bloody discharge after sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bloody discharge after sex
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a couple of hours after I had sex, I used the bathroom and noticed a stringy discharge that was red. It wasn't on my panty or anything but in the bowl. It wasn't a very large amount. It wasn't like how my period is like either, it wasn't a clot just thin and stringy red mucous sorta. Im on birth control and I'm wondering if this could be what people say is implantation bleeding or maybe a result of sex, if it was too rough or dry? Thank you!
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When are you due for your withdrawal bleed? It might be that if it's around the time you would expect your withdrawal bleed to start, or if the sex was pretty rough and/or you did not use enough extra lube, it could also be from an abrasion.

You can be sure that it is not implantation bleeding: it takes a while for a pregnancy to complete and for the egg to implant in the uterus. It doesn't happen with a couple of hours of sex.

Too, if you are on the pill and taking it as directed, there is no reason to suspect a pregnancy risk, anyway.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on my second week of active pills, I'm not due for my withdrawal bleed yet. I take my pills within a 30 minute range every day and haven't missed any although I messed up last cycle and took an extra one but I read on a post here that it shouldn't affect my protection.

i think it might be because of the lack of lube because it did feel a bit dry and I have been taking all my pills.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you can rule out your withdrawal bleed, which means it's either from an abrasion, or some random spotting. Either way, not something to worry about. Just give yourself a couple days to heal up in case it is an abrasion, and make sure to use lube as needed next time you have sex.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Ok thank you [Smile]
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Sorry for posting again but I'm freaking out, when I woke up this morning I saw blood on my underwear. Im not sure if it would be considered spotting. I haven't missed any pills or anything so idk what this could be and I'm really worried. Would this mean my pills aren't effective?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Spotting doesn't say anything about the effectiveness of your pill, so I'd not worry that your protection is compromised. As long as you are taking the pill as directed, you can rely on its protection.

When are you due for your withdrawal bleed?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

it's Sunday and I just finished the second week of active pills, I start my third week tomorrow. What is considered spotting? The amount of blood I saw was fairly large that's why, not clumpy like a period but it was around the size of a fingernail. That would be spotting right? But when I wiped I didn't see anything. Could this be because I took an extra pill last cycle? I should be ok though as far as effectiveness? Thanks for being so patient!
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

An extra pill won't make a difference in terms of protection, but it might be responsible for the spotting. A bit of spotting (which is just light bleeding) can happen from time to time, and the reason isn't always clear.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Would this fall under spotting? Since I took an extra pill, I was short one pill at the end of the cycle but I made it up with one from another pack. was that the right thing to do? I shouldn't worry about pregnancy then or my pill effectiveness being compromised? I should just chalk this up to random spotting?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you're describing is still a pretty small amount of blood, so yes, that would count as spotting.

Yes, you should be covered just fine. The pill you took to make up a pill during your last cycle...did you take it from the pack you're taking now?

Really, spotting is a fairly common typical occurrence, particularly for people on hormonal birth contorl.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Yes I took it from this pack! Oh ok I see, even for people who've been on the pill for a long time?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting can happen no matter how long you've been on the pill, yep.

Since the make-up pill you took last cycle was one from this pack, you'll need to make sure you have enough pills for this whole cycle. This is why having a spare pack around can come in handy.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Ok thank you. It's a bit scary [Frown] I always thought that it meant the pill wasn't effective. My pharmacist told me that spotting could be a side effect of lutera, the pill im on. spotting doesn't necessarily mean anything?

Yup I got an extra pack! Thank you ^_^

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Robin said, spotting is a pretty common thing for people taking the pill or other types of hormonal birth control, and it doesn't mean that your pill isn't working. It can be a bit scary, especially if it hasn't ever happened to you before, but it's really not a concern.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

This is just another question concerning spotting. even if it occurs at least once a month, it's fine? I know spotting is a typical occupancy although is it common to happen more than once, as in over the course of a few months? It's never heavy, just a drop. Sometimes it's after sex though so it might be due to that. Thanks so much! I just wanted to know if I should switch to a higher dose. I was told spotting doesn't meant my pill isn't working
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Sorry I meant typical occurrence. & now that I really think about it, everytime there's been spotting, has been right after sex or sexual activity.
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Is it possible for a withdrawal bleed to start off as brown blood then turn into bright red? I'm not sure if I'm spotting right now or finishing up my withdrawal bleed. After sex, I spotted bright red blood and then now when I wipe, there's streaks of red. This is why I asked about the spotting earlier ><
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

I talked to a pharmacist, they said that spotting is a side effect of hormonal birth control & that my effectiveness isn't compromised!! Thanks so much [Smile]
Holly D
Neophyte
Member # 96432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard sex sometimes causes you to bleed. But hey who doesn't love some steamy hard humping.
Posts: 1 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Holly D welcome to Scarleteen. Looking though this post it looks like it was resolved almost a month ago and really this wasn't a post about sex being rough rather the pill causing some spotting. So just want to ask that you're being sure if you're posting in response to users that the responses are about the question at hand and that it's posts that weren't resolved in the past. Thanks!

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.