Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Spotting (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spotting
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know spoitting while on birth control is normal, but this has never happened to me before. My period should start in a week and I found blood on my underwear. I wiped and saw no more blood. The last sexual encounter I had we never had vaginal sex - we attempted to but he had a condom on and I had never missed a pill. That was ten days ago. I'm really scared. My cramps are bad like they usually are around this time of the month.

[ 08-15-2012, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spotting on the pill can start up at any time. It most often happens during the first few months of use, but some people find that it starts up after they've been taking the pill for a while.

Breathe; you're okay. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have a problem with breakthrough bleeding with my former pill brand. I'd sometimes start my period 5 days before my placebo week. This is 7... But it looks like it has stopped. I'm trying to convince myself that I'm okay, but I'm terrified!

But since I've had breakthrough bleeding issues, could this be what this is? It's brown-red blood. I have two other spare packs, but maybe I should switch pill brands? I'm almost positive that pregnancy is out of the question, so I'm trying to tell myself that this is not implantation bleeding. I will try to relax, thank you for your fast response.

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was a little blood on your underwear, it doesn't sound like it's as severe as the problems you had with your last brand. Generally, a person would switch pill brands if the side effects were dangerous or uncomfortable to her. It's up to you whether you want to talk to your doctor about switching, but a little bit of spotting is a pretty typical and manageable side effect. Sounds like it really scares you though.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

It's two streaks of blood. I'm considering making a call to a healthline or pharmacy tomorrow. I guess I don't have to switch, but I'm not sure if this is even my period starting. A 19-day cycle is very atypical for me, so I'm unsure. I have bad cramps still. I know spotting is common but I guess since I've never experienced it in 2 years, I'm really scared. My partner told me the condom never broke. I was finally starting to relax and now this happens. I must sound like a broken record! Could stress play a part in this? I haven't been sleeping well and I've been very anxious.

[ 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Stress could absolutely play a part in this. I think it's really important for you to remember that spotting does not equal the pill not working.

A little blood on the underwear can also sometimes be from a small abbrasion in the vaginal or vulvar tissue, something we're not even aware of.

So, what is your plan for getting un-terrified?

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Okay, that makes me feel better. My partner and I haven't been talking as much as I'd like, so that has stressed me out considerably (not that I'm blaming him - that's just how I feel when this happens). I did try masturbating a little, but that was days earlier. I'm trying to think of other factors.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I was hyperventilating and I'm shaking now. I've been rationalizing to myself about how safe I was 10 days prior, and how this is common. It says that amenorrhea is a side effect of my pill in my leaflet; I know it's common but it's so uncommon for me. Praying might help. I'm trying to calm myself down... It's just that the timing of this is freaking me out. Of course, if this was 2 or 3 days later I'd be less scared. What if this turns into my bleed - that would be a bad sign, correct? I started my pack on time and haven't taken a pill late.

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If it turned into your bleed, the only thing it would mean is that you would want to call your doctor and make an appointment to talk about it and evaluate together whether anything needs to change.

Some things that people find helpful when they're in a panic are slow breathing through the nose, drinking water, splashing cold water on the face, doing some mild exercise, doing an activity that takes their mind off the panicky stuff (like reading a book or watching TV), constant self-reminders that things are okay, and many other things.

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I think I'm still bleeding a little. Okay, I can manage that. I still might make a call tomorrow, but I'm nervous they'll throw implantation bleeding or other not-so-possible theories at me, as have happened before.

I think I will try breathing slowly and watching tv. Thank you Robin. I'm still really worried but I'm hoping I'm alright.

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I've been doing some research and have found that heavy or abnormal bleeding is a sign of an STD, but I want to just go to a doctor and have a chat with him or her before I make mountains out of mole hills. My last pap smear and physical was in December but I didn't get any results after having a blood test and urine sample done. It was at my former university so I can't go back and I know they don't give results over the phone. I'm beside myself.

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think talking to your doctor is a really good idea, and getting screened for STIs is never a bad thing. It's really very likely though that this is just a bit of spotting from the pill.

Have you managed to lessen your panic at all?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I know spotting between periods on the pill is very common, so I'm trying to just allocate it to that. I have been able to calm myself a little. I finally told my mother that I'm on the pill, and she was able to lessen my worries; telling me that spotting can happen on the pill and can be due to things like stress, changes in routine (and weather), and a bit of cycle irregularity. I was relieved to be honest with her about that one part of my personal life. Otherwise, I'm still nervous but my mom told me to keep an eye on it and if it got worse, she would take me to a doctor. Can one spot for a few days like this, or is spotting usually a one-day thing? I suppose it varies for everyone.

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long spotting lasts really does vary from person to person. It might last one day, or a few, and can be different each time even for the same person.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much! I think I might still have some today.

I just remembered that my last period started later (3 days into my placebo week instead of two or a little earlier); and I had manual sex performed on me 10 days ago. The blood was brown at first... Maybe I got an abbrasion from that or when I was trying to masturbate earlier; but I'm not sure if blood would appear so long afterwards.

I know this site is on a board break, so if need be, my post does not need to be answered right away. [Smile]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi Copper,

Yes, we are going on break shortly.

Just keep reminding yourself that there are a lot of non-threatening reason for spotting and keep practicing whatever practices help to relieve your anxiety over this.

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you for your response, especially during this time! I will try to remember that and to relax!

Have a good break!

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're not on the break yet, no worries.

Brown blood is just older blood, but yes, it could have been from an abrasion that hasn't fully healed yet or just spotting as a side effect of your pill.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you! I just wanted to update that the spotting was heavier and redder, so I put on a tampon. I'm now skeptical of spotting and thinking it's my bleed. I'm on a 28-day pack and I always take my placebo pills, so it is not as if I messed up the dosage. I'm going to call a pharmacist and see if I can go to the doctor soon.

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds good, Copper. It sounds like you withdrawal bleed is just coming at a different time than you expect, which isn't a bad sign; it can be a little unpredicatble sometimes.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Now that the boards are open again, I just wanted to do an update and to say "welcome back" to the so supportive and thoughtful staff and volunteers!

My spotting turned into what I still believe is a bleed - a very weird but obvious bleed. I've been bleeding for 6 days now, and though it's lighter than other bleeds, I had a flow increase on the fourth day (not unusual) albeit a bit temporary, and now my bleed is acting as it usually would. I've had cramps and usual bleed symptoms; and even took a pregnancy test 14 days after my last encounter to make sure.

My mom told me that she would make me an appointment with our doctor. I'm hoping that she won't follow me in there, but I have a plan of politely telling her that if I need her, I will ask for her right away. It's still weird that she knows I'm on the pill.

I've had breakthrough bleeding before, but with my last pill, no matter how early it came, my bleed would always act the same as it would if it came on time. Could my new pill - which is supposed to do a good job of "regulating" bleeds (according to my doctor and its website) - be making my bleed lighter? I'm also figuring that the same side effects would be different with each brand of pill, too. I'm still a bit worried something is wrong with me, but the negative result and the 6-day bleed is helping. I've been told that bleeds like this - a week early - can happen but are not extremely common. I've racked my brain to try and see if I did anything wrong with taking them, and I know I haven't.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post!

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did you start the new pill again, copper?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67928 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I started my new pill around late September... I've been on it for eleven months or so.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so we can rule out side effects from starting something new: just wanted to check.

Is this the first time you've had a withdrawal bleed start this early before your placebos, with this pill? If so, I'd not see any cause for concern right now, especially if you are sure you are using your pills properly. And per pregnancy worries, if you are backing up with a second method, then you can know pregnancy is very, very, very unlikely.

If you're not backing up with a second method and continue to worry about pregnancy, I'd say it's pretty obvious what the answer to that probably is, no?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67928 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Yes, it is the first time this has happened using this brand of pills. The earliest I've ever started on this brand (before this happened) was three days before the placebo week. I'm glad it doesn't sound like anything major. I didn't skip my placebo week or anything.

Yes, we backed up with condoms and he ejaculated later after giving me manual sex. Yup - I took a pregnancy test yesterday at 14 days, and I'll buy more if I get more worried. And I really enjoy us backing up with a second method, especially condoms, so I know using that or withdrawal will help me worry less, too.

[ 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Honestly, if you are using the pill and condoms properly and consistently, I feel confident saying you simply are not going to become pregnant. Both those methods failing in proper use would be about as likely as being struck by lightening.

(I haven't double-checked the math on that mind, but really, it's about that unlikely.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

That was a great simile, it definitely made me smile! I again thought about my not feeling myself swallow that pill last month, but I know I took it. He had assured me the condom did not break as it was.

I would still like to talk to a doctor about this; but I could also keep an eye on it and if I start early again, I will not ignore it then if I decide not to see a doctor now.

One random thing that sort of irks me (but it's something that happens, so it's not a big deal), is that if I had to switch brands, I'd have at least two packs left over. You can't just give those unopened packs back and get a refund, right? I know pills aren't coffee makers that you can return unused, I was just curious.

It's so nice to be reassured like this. I even checked out your link to Planned Parenthood, and I like their site, too. I hope you know how much you and all the other staff and volunteers here are valued! [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

That was a great simile, it definitely made me smile! I again thought about my not feeling myself swallow that pill last month, but I know I took it. He had assured me the condom did not break as it was.

I would still like to talk to a doctor about this; but I could also keep an eye on it and if I start early again, I will not ignore it then if I decide not to see a doctor now.

One random thing that sort of irks me (but it's something that happens, so it's not a big deal), is that if I had to switch brands, I'd have at least two packs left over. You can't just give those unopened packs back and get a refund, right? I know pills aren't coffee makers that you can return unused, I was just curious.

It's so nice to be reassured like this. I even checked out your link to Planned Parenthood, and I like their site, too. I hope you know how much you and all the other staff and volunteers here are valued! [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Sorry about the double post - my phone's internet went wonky.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

No, you can;t return unused prescription medications, for obvious (I'd think it was obvious, anyway) safety issues.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

That is a good point. I guess my naivety with prescriptions has shone through! That's alright - I was merely curious. [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

My mother got in contact with our family doctor and I'm getting a referral to a female doctor who was recommended to my mother and I from our doctor. I should be seeing her within the next couple of days, which is a relief. The woman my mother spoke to told her that my issue is not a huge concern and can happen with the differing amounts of hormone levels with this pill. So, based on what she said and coupling it with what Heather said, I am going to try to relax. I'm also going to try and trust my negative result. Though this is a period and has lasted 7 days, it has been different - but the same side effects (like breakthrough bleeding) could be different with each brand of pill, right? Thank you so much!

I know the staff and volunteers here have users with more pressing concerns than mine on the forums, so please only answer my post when you have the chance; as I believe it is not an emergency any longer. [Smile]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm glad you got an appointment and hope this is a doc you connect with.

It's up to you, but I think it would also be a really good idea to talk with her about the anxiety and outright panic you've been experiencing.

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you! I think I might mention that to her, as well. What truly scared me was bleeding so early. But I'd like to tell her about my anxiety and see if she has any ideas for me.

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I'm sorry, I have one last question: I was told by my university doctor long ago that breakthrough bleeding does not affect the effectiveness of the pill - that is correct, yes?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Just like tender breasts, for instance, or headaches, breakthrough bleeding is simply one common side effect of the pill.

And like any side effect, if anything, it's clear evidence your medication IS impacting your body (though a lack of side effects doesn't conversely mean that it isn't).

It might help to also understand that uterine bleeding is usually due to the lining of the uterus going buh-bye. The same lining needed for a fertilized ovum to implant in and to sustain a pregnancy. Breakthrough bleeding -- and withdrawal bleeds -- is also about that lining.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.