Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Followed the five steps, still have doubts about pregnancy test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Followed the five steps, still have doubts about pregnancy test
Machucha
Neophyte
Member # 96020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Machucha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Okay: I had protected (condom) sex with my boyfriend on May 18th, about 3 weeks ago. He didn't ejaculate inside me. I THINK the condom was OKAY (I checked for leaks and such). I've been feeling queasy for about a week, and HAD A PREGNANCY TEST TWO DAYS BEFORE my period was due.

It was NEGATIVE. However, a basic Google search only gives me forums where excited women post about how they got a positive after seven negatives or something. I also read that you should test AFTER your period was due, which I didn't (I did test more than 15 days after sex, which I understand is an okay amount of time). My period was due two days ago, but it hasn't come yet. This isn't uncommon, as I have thyroid problems that once made me miss three months worth of bleeding (it was heaven), and I am a chronic stress ex-patient.

I was reasonably calm after the negative test, but those forums made me feel like I could sprout out triplets any minute no matter what the test says. Should I retest? Should I stop freaking?

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Machucha,

When condoms break, they really break. They shred or split, so since you didn't see visible damage, you can be sure that your condom worked as it was meant to.

There is, of course, even with the most effective, perfectly used birth control a risk of pregnancy when engaging in the kinds of sexual activity that can lead to pregnancy.

I'd say that you certainly can trust that negative test result. As to when to test, you can test two weeks or more after the risk, *or* if a period is late. So you did test at a good time. Since you don't know when you will get your period, it probably is a good idea to test again in a few days, both to be sure, and for your peace of mind.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.