Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » period concerns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period concerns
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovepink888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my period was two days late, I got it on the 13th of this month (two days ago). Today i woke up and there wasn't much bleeding like there was yesterday but then it started just really flowing and I've had huge blood clots and lots of blood just dripping out of me like i have thin blood. What does this mean? I only have slight cramping. Im scared its never been like this before. I mean I've always had blood clots but not this big, this many.
Posts: 86 | From: Fiji | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, those likely aren't clots, because menstrual flow is only, actually, a little blood, and it's not a wound, so the blood doesn't really clot.

Instead, what people usually think are clots are either the endometrium coming out more chunky than fluid - which can happen and isn't a sign of anything wrong -- or discharges being thicker and more gooey and making flow lumpier.

So, you're having some variation in your cycle. Chances are good it'll happen a whole lot in your life, even if this is the first time you've noticed something different.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovepink888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it normal for the big lumps to happen numbers times in a few hours and for the blood to be literally dripping out of you?
Posts: 86 | From: Fiji | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

I called a doctors office and they told me to check if I'm pregnant but I'm assuming I'm not dude to the huge amount of blood I'm getting. correct?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That can be normal, yes. I'd say unless you find you're having way worse cramps than usual, or this lasts longer than your normal period -- in which case checking in with a doctor would be smart --this isn't anything to be concerned about.

The doctor who said that likely assumed you might be someone who has had some risk of pregnancy, but as we've already talked about, that's not been the case for you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

the cramping hasn't been bad, a little uncomfortable thats all, I was just concerned because they are larger than cherries. And i got my period two days late which u also said was common. The cramps were bad the last two days tho. so i shouldn't be concerned? should i wait and see if it slows down?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kinds of variations you're talking about aren't anything to be concerned about. As Heather mentioned, you'll find that your menstrual cycle changes as time goes on, and that sometimes it just is very unusual for one or two cycles. Just all part of our bodies not being machines.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.