Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » girlfriend missed her period but we are virgins!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: girlfriend missed her period but we are virgins!
Themacguy101
Neophyte
Member # 95248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Themacguy101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my girlfriend and i have a healthy relationship and have chosen to wait for sex until later. we do mess around and the furtherest we have gone is oral, i have never came btw. anyways she has missed her period according to her, i believe her last one started april 27th and ended around may 2nd, and hasn't had one since then.(today being june 7th) she said her periods are usually 28 days in between starting...
I know she isn't pregnant because we have not had any genetile contact what so ever, but what could be the cause of her missing her period?

Posts: 8 | From: Oxnard CA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There can be lots of reasons for the menstrual cycle to change, including stress, illness (even something mild like a cold), or just the unpredictability of the body.

If you and your girlfriend are concerned, you might find it helpful to read this article together.

M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Having a period be late, or missed altogether, isn't something to be overly worried about when pregnancy is not a concern. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Themacguy101
Neophyte
Member # 95248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Themacguy101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for your help, except my girlfriend isn't convinced she's not pregnant. I'm 100% sure because we haven't even had our "stuff" out at the same time and she's been really stressed these past couple weeks due to finals and college apps. so i only have a couple more questions: is a lot stress a valid reason for her to miss her period? when can she expect her normal period, will it just go back to where it would've been or be thrown off? and how can i get her to relax and be as confident as i am?
Posts: 8 | From: Oxnard CA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Did you show her the article about late periods?

Stress can definitely delay a period. We have all sorts of hormones in our bodies and they can interact in different ways when stress alters the body chemistry.

There's really no telling whether she'll just skip this period and get the next one round about when she would expect to, or whether her period will just come at some random time.

How can you get her to relax and be as confident as you are? You can't. You can continue to be gentle and patient and listen to her concerns. You can ask her if she thinks that taking a pregnancy test will help alleviate her fears. YOu can, if she wants, help her get a test.

I'm also wondering if the two of you need to sit down and have some discussions about the kinds of sexual activities that are and aren't working for both of you. Often anxiety about pregnancy risks is about anxiety over sex, or over other things going on.

This article will give you some ideas on how to start a discussion like that.

Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner

Overall, remember that while your girlfriend's anxieties and fears may not make sense to you, they make sense to her. SEe what I mean?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.