Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Missed birth control pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed birth control pills
mspeacock
Neophyte
Member # 77928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mspeacock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taking the pill perfectly for the last 6 months, but I screwed up this time. I forgot to start my new pack after the placebo week from the last one. So, I missed the first 2 pills in the current pack. I'm on mononessa.

My pack instructions say to take 2 pills today and 2 pills tomorrow, and to then continue with 1 pill per day for the rest of the month, as usual. My question is, do I have a risk of pregnancy from sex that I had in the previous month (before my placebo week/period)? The last time I had sex was about 4 or 5 days before my placebo week started, and I haven't had sex in this pill cycle at all.

Also, is there anything else I should do about this?

Thanks!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sexual activities from the previous cycle are not going to be an issue.

You'd just want to back up with another method for any sexual activities that present pregnancy risks through this cycle. My best advice is to do so for the whole of this pack.

And yep: making up the missed pills is something you do just like the instructions explained.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mspeacock
Neophyte
Member # 77928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mspeacock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering so quickly. I will definitely use a backup method for the rest of this month.

Would the previous cycle not being an issue be true no matter when in the previous cycle I had sex? Like if I had had sex in the placebo week, would that be a potential problem? Just want to check for future reference.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The placebo week can be different, because being covered in terms of pregnancy prevention for that week involves the pills in the previous pack and starting the next pill pack on time.

Really, while it's important to take all your pills on time and not ever miss them (ideally), if there are any pills you want to avoid taking late or missing most, it's that first pill in the pack and pills in that first week. Pills missed then make the pill failing way more likely than pills missed at other times in the cycle, which is why backing up is so important when it does happen like this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mspeacock
Neophyte
Member # 77928

Ok, got it. But there's definitely no pregnancy risk this time, right? (As long as I back up for the rest of the cycle)
mspeacock
Neophyte
Member # 77928

I actually forgot that I was supposed to back up for the rest of the cycle, until my boyfriend and I actually started having sex. I stopped him before he could finish, but he ended up ejaculating pretty much right outside of my vagina, although not inside. I feel really, really stupid about this, and scared that I might get pregnant. What should I do? Should I get emergency contraception? This happened 3 days ago now. My pill pack says I only needed to back up for 7 days, and I didn't have sex at all until for about 20 days, but you said to back up for the whole cycle, so I'm not sure whether I need EC or not.
Heather
Member # 3

mspeacock, given the timing and the situation, I think you'll likely have been back to at least typical use effectiveness with your pill, and that it's unlikely EC would add much more, especially now that you're past the first 24 hours.

Btw, if this happens again, it's a good idea to tell your partner about the need to back up so you two can help each other remember.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.