Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » pill question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pill question
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anxiousalways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I was just wondering, if you were ever worried that something affected the absorption of your pill (eg you're not sure if diarrea was severe enough to affect it etc), if you wanted to take another pill just incase(like from a reserve pack), is that ok? even if nothing affected the first pill , taking 2 pills in the one day, is that ok?
in one cycle, if u did that on one or two occassions is that ok?

and, i know this sounds mad but, if you burp sometimes and you feel a tiny bit of food at the back of ur mouth that came up or u tast a bit of liquid like stomach acid that tastes like vodka, but u dont actually vomit, like u just swallow again and take some water, this wouldnt affect the absorption of the pill right?
sorry for the silly question. [Smile]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we know that hormonal medications have dangers, like any other, and that you do want to watch how many of them you take, and be sure you only take them as directed. But if you really feel strongly you did miss a pill, or didn't digest one, then yes, you should make it up. And erring on the side of caution every now and then should be fine.

However, it'd be safer to simply back up your pill with another method you can pair it with, like condoms. Not only do condoms give you D=STI protection the pill doesn't, but then you can know you always have a backup just in case you were, say, ill while taking the pill.

Per your second question, I don't see any reason to be concerned about that and absorbing your pill.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anxiousalways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, i actually just took another pill so i wouldnt be worried about it, but i will make sure from now on to only do that if i seriously think something affected the pill, i just like to be overly cautious. i always use condoms anyway but knowing i didnt miss a pill gives me so much more peace of mind. obviously tho, taking an extra pill on one or 2 occasions(even when it may not have been needed), wont affect the protection or anything right? i should just avoid doing it from now on.
and as for my second question above, its something i only took notice of recently. sometimes when u burp , u can taste like that vomit taste at the back of ur mouth or even feel some small pieces of food, that would only be like stomach acid or some food u just swallowed obviously? you would have to physically vomit for the pill to come up. so if this happens again, just so long as u keep ur mouth closed and swallow its fine?
and lastly, i know this is such a silly question but im too embarrassed to ask a pharmacist. if i had an incident like i just described. say u were eating a bag of crisps at the time and u whatever like licked the crumbs off your fingers. if you just had one of those 'burps' a few mins prior, obviously no part of ur dissolved pill would go from your tongue to your fingers when u licked them and therefore be gone right.
very very sorry for the silly question.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.