Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » missed period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: missed period
soccerxcxc
Neophyte
Member # 49959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccerxcxc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I am on birth control and I have been missing my withdrawal bleeding/"period" this week. Can you help me understand why?

I had sex less than a week ago, and we didn't use a condom but I've been taking my birth control pill. I've never missed a day, just taken my pill maybe 3 hours late on some days at most.

Also, I began medications for a UTI and a yeast infection for a few days (after I had sex). My pharmacist told me to use back-up contraception because the UTI meds would counteract my birth control pills. Now I am toward the end of my placebo pills week and still no bleeding.

Can UTI meds delay or not allow me to have a period?
Should I be worried about a pregnancy risk?
Could I have had sperm inside me that were still there when I took my UTI meds that affected my birth control and possibly be pregnant?
I know I can't take a pregnancy test until at least another week (2 weeks after possible conception) but should I be worried? Or does this all sound like something else?

Posts: 10 | From: usa | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What day are you on for your placebo pills?

Any kind of stress the body is under (which definitely would include having a UTI and yeast infection) can delay a period or even cause it not to come.

It's rare for sperm to live inside the body, waiting for a chance to find the egg. Even so, it's unlikely that the medication rendered your birth control completely ineffective. Birth control pills work in a variety of ways to make the body not receptive to sperm.

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

The birth control pill has a 99% success rate for preventing pregnancywith perfect use, and a 92% success rate with typical use.

You're right that it is too early to take a pregnancy test. With everything you describe though, it sounds like your body has plenty of reasons not to behave as it normally does.

You're not describing any sexual activity that has an increased risk of pregnancy, but there is alwayssome risk with sex, regardless of birth control use.

So, it would be a good idea, and great for your peace of mind too, to take a test when it's time to.

WE often suggest people keep a few home pregnancy tests around, just for those peace-of-mind times.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccerxcxc
Neophyte
Member # 49959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccerxcxc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks.

I did have a stressful event recently too and I forgot to mention that because I had been thinking that might have caused something. Even my body feel kind of lifeless and tired from the event.

I have 3 placebo pills left and 1 more day of yeast infection/UTI meds.

But I do have one more question, is it okay to take a birth control pill 3 or 4 hours late on accident everyone in a while? I make sure I take them everyday, but there has been times when I don't realize until 2 hours later.

Also, do you have any resources for women who freak out about pregnancy scares too often? Because this seems to be me and I'd really like it stop. Or help control it a bit. I've stopped reading and googling the internet, that doesn't seem to help.

Posts: 10 | From: usa | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a couple of hours late is perfectly okay. There's more information about that here:

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

Can you tell me a little more about these pregnancy fears? Sometimes such fears can be about not feeling secure with our birth control. Sometimes they can actually be more about relationship or other anxieties. I assure you you're no the only one to have these fears. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.